A day that started bad, but could have been a lot worse.

This is a discussion on A day that started bad, but could have been a lot worse. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Over the last 2 years, Iíve made about 30 trip to Texas (One my Favorite states to work in). On all of those trips, Iíve ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A day that started bad, but could have been a lot worse.

A day that started bad, but could have been a lot worse.

Over the last 2 years, Iíve made about 30 trip to Texas (One my Favorite states to work in). On all of those trips, Iíve had, properly stared and declared in checked luggage, a hand gun, 2 magazines and 50 rounds 45 ACP.

This last trip was different. I was going for only 1 day, 2 at most, and might have to travel directly to New York or Canada; so no gun on this trip.

I get out of the Embassy suites shuttle early yesterday morning, still dark. Driver hands me my bag, a dark carry on size generic type suitcase. I put my computer bag on top and proceed to the Delta desk at San Antonio airport. All is normal until I take my computer bag off the suite case to hand to the ticketing agent for tagging. Then OH S---, Thatís not my bag!

I call the hotel and the shuttle returns but he has given my bag to the other guy on the shuttle. I had been talking to this guy and knew that he was going to Indianapolis on American airlines. I go to American Airline desk, find this guy's card on his suitcase. The AA ticketing agent confirms that he has checked my bag. And, thanks to fast work by AA ticking agent we not only get this all fixed, I still make flight.

But, on ANY other trip to Texas, my suitcase would have had a handgun. And this guy would have had no idea! If he had simply checked it as he did, that would have been bad. When you declare a hand gun in Texas, the bag is routed differently, the ticketing agent inspects it, you sign the declaration and take the bag to a TSA screener who knows about the declared gun. Without a declared gun, the ticketing agent simple tags the bag and puts it on the conveyer belt behind the counter; it goes off to screening by folks who are not expecting guns.

This would have been bad enough. But imagine that the gun was in the bag, and this poor guy had tried to carry it on!

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar
    I'm happy for you and the one that received your bag. Glad things worked out for both of you.
    SCGunLover1

Even better if he had decided to attempt to carry-on that
    dark carry on size generic type suitcase
    . Whooo, that woulda been fun for him!
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Bet you look more closely at the bags next time!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    i usually put a brightly colored something on my bag to make it stand out on the carousel and easier to pick out...good job tracking it down and making for a quick resolution...

Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    i usually put a brightly colored something on my bag to make it stand out on the carousel and easier to pick out...good job tracking it down and making for a quick resolution...
    Thinking about fluorescent pink polka dots. I rather be thought a little odd than go thru that again!

Quote Originally Posted by dylistn View Post
    Thinking about fluorescent pink polka dots. I rather be thought a little odd than go thru that again!
    I have bright multi-colored fluorescent luggage tags.

Although the way things are going, my wife and I have decided to avoid flying.

If I were one who had to travel extensively for work, I would take the approach suggested by deviant ollam, whether or not I was carrying actual guns.

This would be my suitcase:

81 MM ammo can Available from coleman's surplus for ~$20.00

Quote Originally Posted by Packing and the Friendly Skies
    One needn't travel with a fully-functional and lethal firearm in order to avail themselves of the protections afforded by federal luggage regulations. The letter of the law states that objects which expel a projectile by means of combusting a propellant (thus, lethal guns, flare guns, and some blank-firing guns) are mandated for secure travel. Many TSA staffers seem to be confused about this policy, but i have obtained definitive confirmation from the TSA's main office that flare guns and blank-firing guns should be treated like lethal firearms... declared and locked.

At various times i have declared all of the following items as firearms and involved locking a hard-sided case with a proper padlock… handguns, rifles, shotguns, flare guns, starter pistols, airsoft pistols, and theatrical replicas. Essentially, however, the policies are in place in order to prevent screeners from becoming alarmed at an image on their x-ray machine while a bag is in the bowels of the airport, away from the relevant passenger who can open and/or explain its contents. They like to know ahead of time about anything that looks significantly like a gun.
    You can carry a flare gun legally into Canada according to the RCMP

Quote Originally Posted by RCMP site
    Devices designed exclusively for signalling purposes (e.g. flare guns), and intended to be used solely for that purpose, are exempt from the requirements set out below.
    Link to RCMP site

So, for a few extra bucks each trip, you can get a sky cap to take you to the front of the ticketing line, you can travel knowing that your luggage will NOT be searched out of your presence, will be locked so that no TSA agent can get into it, and your luggage will be secure enough and distinctive enough that it won't likely get lost (nor mistaken by a bellman or anyone else).

Here's a link to devian ollams site about packing and the frienly skies... make sure you watch the video... Flying and the Friendly skies/
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member
    As an experienced world traveler and paranoid OCD type’ I will never buy or use any black colored luggage. Case and point, I returned from a Euro trip and went through customs at LAX and they were jammed. We all had to go and retrieve our stuff from a literal mountain of black luggage. Had I not owned a bright ‘purple’ suitcase (don’t go there) I would have missed my connection.
    ďMonsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.Ē
    ~ Stephen King

VIP Member
    AA did a great job rectifying the mix-up and lucky for you that you had a conversation with this guy, otherwise it would have gotten more complex. The guy is very lucky he didn't inadvertently check a bag with firearm............he'd had a LOT of "splaining to do, along with miissed connection, arrested, firing squad, etc.................YIKES

Agree highly on unique luggage color or some other sort of obvious distinction.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Darn lucky on this trip!

I can't even imagine trying to explain that to the folks as they lead me away.
    "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back."
    Captain Malcom Reynolds "Firefly"

HONEST Officer!!!!.....it's NOT mine!!!! I am INNOCENT!!!!
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Simple solution that has worked for years for me is surveyors tape. It is plastic tape used to flag trees, fences, stakes and comes in many colors and floursent colors. I have traveled with as many as 60 Boy Scouts and leaders in a group and when all luggage has same color tape--everyone just collects all luggage with correct tape. About $2 a roll at the hardware or lumber yard and will do lots of luggage. I have also used construction tape that says "Danger", ect and even can be ordered with your company name on it. Police call it crime scene tape. OHSA used to require it but did not specify wording so I has some made up that said "Danger Live Rattlesnakes" and company name in smaller print.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear67 View Post
    Simple solution that has worked for years for me is surveyors tape. It is plastic tape used to flag trees, fences, stakes and comes in many colors and floursent colors. I have traveled with as many as 60 Boy Scouts and leaders in a group and when all luggage has same color tape--everyone just collects all luggage with correct tape. About $2 a roll at the hardware or lumber yard and will do lots of luggage. I have also used construction tape that says "Danger", ect and even can be ordered with your company name on it. Police call it crime scene tape. OHSA used to require it but did not specify wording so I has some made up that said "Danger Live Rattlesnakes" and company name in smaller print.
    Might be interesting to see what would happen with Biohazard tape....just on the dirty laundry bag.
    "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back."
    Captain Malcom Reynolds "Firefly"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links