stopped by a LEO tonight while carrying

This is a discussion on stopped by a LEO tonight while carrying within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello all, I haven't posted much at all here but tonight was interesting, so I thought I would share my thoughts. I was on my ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: stopped by a LEO tonight while carrying

stopped by a LEO tonight while carrying

Hello all,

I haven't posted much at all here but tonight was interesting, so I thought I would share my thoughts. I was on my way back home from picking up some dinner, keeping up with the flow of traffic. I wasn't paying particular attention to my speed, just keeping up with everyone. I don't usually speed, and if I do, it is usually only 5 mph over.

Well like I said, I was on my way back home on a pretty busy two lane road. I was behind a car who was going at least as fast as I was. All of a sudden I get blue lighted. I wasn't sure if the cop had a call he was trying to get to so I just pulled off the side of the road (two lane road). I guess the car I was behind thought the same thing because that driver also pulled over but then left when they realized the cop was after me.

Once I realized I was getting pulled, I pulled off the road and tried to do everything I could to make the police officer as comfortable as possible. I turned my car off, rolled my windows down, turned on my interior light, and put my hands on the steering wheel. The police officer approached my driver side window and said "good evening....etc." I live in Florida, and to my knowledge, it is not a state where you have to notify a LEO that you are carrying. However, I thought maybe it would show professionalism and consideration on my part by informing him, rather than him somehow finding out on his own.

So I tell him that I have a license to carry a concealed weapon, and ask him what he would like me to do. He instructs me to exit my car and put my hands on the roof. I complied and he removed my handgun and instructed me to walk back to his car and put my hands on the hood.

With all of that taken care of, he comes back to his car and asks me if I know why he pulled me over. I said I didn't. He said he clocked my going quite a bit over the posted speed limit, which immediately struck me as odd when he told me the speed. Something didn't add up, I wasn't going any faster than anyone else, and my butt speedometer didn't indicate the speed that he clocked me at. But, if that is truly how fast I was going, I'm guilty and it was my fault.

This whole time, I was completely cooperative and polite. After he informed me of my violation, he asked for my drivers license and ccw permit. I presented these and he retrieved something from his car. Then he asked a question that made me pretty certain that he was not a fan of law abiding citizen ccw. He asked something along the lines of "I just want to ask you why you feel like you need to carry a gun. I mean I know it's your right and all". I said that alot of bad things happen and cited the recent murder of a young woman in the area. It seemed like he had the attitude of "yea you have the right to carry but you don't really need to and shouldn't". He issued me my citation and then I went on my way.

This is the very first ticket I have had in my entire life. I feel like I am a considerate, law abiding citizen. I thought that informing the LEO that I was carrying was the right thing to do, but in this case, I honestly think it made things worse. Yes I may have been speeding, but I really believe that me lawfully exercising my rights made him all the more willing to write me a ticket. In a way, it makes me want to not carry anymore, or at least not bother with informing the LEO.

Anyone have similar experiences?

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by GatorCpE View Post
    This is the very first ticket I have had in my entire life. I feel like I am a considerate, law abiding citizen. I thought that informing the LEO that I was carrying was the right thing to do, but in this case, I honestly think it made things worse. Yes I may have been speeding, but I really believe that me lawfully exercising my rights made him all the more willing to write me a ticket. In a way, it makes me want to not carry anymore, or at least not bother with informing the LEO.

Anyone have similar experiences?
    - I've only been pulled over twice since I started carrying. Once was for a headlight that was out and the other was for speeding. I didn't inform the officer at all since I'm not required to in CT. I was very polite and turned on all of my interior lights. I was let off with a warning both times. Informing the officer in either of those situations would not have benefitted me in any way.

Your experience just highlights the reason that I don't inform unless I have to. I don't want to get in a conversation with a police officer about my Constitutional rights. I don't want to stand outside of my car while other cars are driving by. Lastly, I do not want to be disarmed by a police officer who may not know anything about the gun I am carrying.
    NONAME762 and HAGJewels like this.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Seems like he believes only LEO should have guns.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.stuart View Post
    Seems like he believes only LEO should have guns.
    This is what I think also. I made two mistakes, one of which I will not make again,

1) speeding

2) informing the LEO that I'm carrying out of the goodness of my own heart.

As stated by tokerblue and his/her cases, it wouldn't have benefited me in that situation to let him know. But hindsight is always 20/20.

GatorCpE you tried to do the right thing.

Unfortunately in today's society doing the right thing doesn't always help out the situation/person. Sad but true. I use to think I would present my permit when traveling through a state that did not require to show a CCW permit during a traffic stop so I could be courteous...but after many long debates and studying I've decided that I'm not doing anything wrong, I'm a law abiding citizen and if the worst thing I've done is legally carry a firearm then that's my decision not some cop/person who thinks I shouldn't.
    Glock 27,Hi-Point .380, S&W 3913, RIA 5" Tactical

NRA Member/Supporter

"Government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem." - President Ronald Reagan

Next time your asked that question from a LEO advise him I carry it for the same reason you do! To protect myself, my family, and others if put in that situation!
    006.9V2.1 and dls like this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

You're not really thinking to stop carrying because some cop doesn't agree with it are you? IMHO if you carry (or don't) you should do it for the right reasons and not because of what some stranger thinks.
    dls and ItalianSteel like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Binder View Post
    You're not really thinking to stop carrying because some cop doesn't agree with it are you? IMHO if you carry (or don't) you should do it for the right reasons and not because of what some stranger thinks.
    Ditto. There's TONS of people in the world who don't think we need to carry. The only thing that matters is YOU.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Quote Originally Posted by GatorCpE View Post
    "I just want to ask you why you feel like you need to carry a gun. I mean I know it's your right and all".
    Cause the last time I tried to carry a cop IWB, she slapped me!
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    I don't want to get in a conversation with a police officer about my Constitutional rights. I don't want to stand outside of my car while other cars are driving by. Lastly, I do not want to be disarmed by a police officer who may not know anything about the gun I am carrying.
    This is how I feel too.

To the OP, good on you for trying to do the right thing.
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

Here's the thing as I see it.

Even if you live in a state where you are not required to inform LEO's (unless they ask), there's nothing wrong with being courteous and offering the information at the time of your initial contact with him as if you were in a state which requires you to do so.

Here's the dilemma. You have no idea beforehand what a particular officers feelings towards guns in general, or attitudes towards legal ccw is going to be. It's a crap shoot. You may get an officer who is very pro 2A and gun rights and you may not. So, before you choose to inform an officer when you are not required, you merely have to understand, it may end up being the most pleasant experience you've ever had with an LEO or you could be on the receiving end of a whole lot of attitude or worse.

So, you have to be forewarned. Human nature is human nature. You can not know what some persons biases are, or why they have those biases if you've never met them before.

Also, you have no idea what his decision process was for issuing the ticket. You can read into it that it was his attitude towards ccw in general all you want. You may be correct, but in reality, you don't know, and you'll never know. You were the one he pulled over. It doesn't matter how many else were speeding, you're the one he chose out of the others to stop. He had no idea you were a ccw holder with a weapon when he pulled you over. So, read into his attitude if you wish, but in the end, you really don't know why he chose to write you a citation. Other than you were clocked in excess of the posted speed limit and any leeway they choose to allow. I'd just take it at face value and move on with your life. Many people have had much worse encounters with LEO's on their traffic stops... Feel lucky yours went as well as it did.
    ItalianSteel, dls and oldman45 like this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Here's the thing as I see it...
    Many people have had much worse encounters with LEO's on their traffic stops... Feel lucky yours went as well as it did.
    This is exactly what I was thinking.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

No good deed goes unpunished. I have learned this lesson many times.
    ItalianSteel and Secret Spuk like this.
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    you have no idea whether he was going to write you regardless so down blame informing on receiving the citation...blame speeding...and you didnt know how fast you were going?..

SOOOOOOO many things to add to this thread, SOOOOOO many ways to get banned... think i will take my right to remain silent. bunker
    Secret Spuk and StormRhydr like this.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links