State of Texas and Utah permit

This is a discussion on State of Texas and Utah permit within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Texas has a bill pending which would end the use of Utah Concealed Weapon Permits by Texas residents. This will NOT change recognition of Utah ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: State of Texas and Utah permit

Texas has a bill pending which would end the use of Utah Concealed Weapon Permits by Texas residents. This will NOT change recognition of Utah permits by visitors. The sponsor of the bill admits that they are motivated by the fact that Utah permits are cheaper, and they think they have lost out on $850,000 in fees by people skipping the Texas course.
    Regardless of how you feel about licenses, nobody should be making money on fees. Lame.
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

I agree with them. Utah's license is absurdly easy to get, and if residents are doing it to circumvent their own state's requirements, other states will start dropping Utah like Nevada did.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Texas citizens aren't doing it to circumvent requirements. They are doing it because it's cheaper. What I think is lame is that states view permits as money makers and raise the rates.

How much do you pay in AZ?
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---

I do maintain my permit for reciprocity and ease of buying guns. But I do get your point about being a source of revenue. I also believe that Utah keeps it's price low and requirements absurdly easy for the same reason...revenue from out of staters.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Pretty sure that the $35 that Utah gets just covers costs. Some knuckleheads here have suggested raising the price so that the state makes money, but they have not been successful so far.

I'll see if I can find some hard info. Right now all I have is this: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...070502753.html
    "The only people making money off it are the instructors," said Lt. Doug Anderson, manager of the concealed-firearms program.
    ---

Quote Originally Posted by Coder View Post

How much do you pay in AZ?
    I'm pretty sure that Arizona is like Alaska and Vermont and lets anybody who can legally carry do so without a permit.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    I agree with them. Utah's license is absurdly easy to get, and if residents are doing it to circumvent their own state's requirements, other states will start dropping Utah like Nevada did.
    Isn't AZ's actually easier? UT requires a specific UT class...I got AZ with "generic" training that I already had.

If you live in a state, say Texas, wouldn't it be good to know the Texas laws instead of Utah laws? Taking the easy way or cheapest way out isn't necessarily the best option when your talking about learning when you can used deadly force.

Let see, if you pay the full price of 140 for the state for 4 to 5 years, and about 100 bucks for the course that works out to about 50 bucks per year. Then when you renew, you pay 70 bucks to the state and about 60 bucks to the instructor for the next 5 years that works out to 26 bucks per year, averaged out it is between 37 and 41 bucks per year over a 9 to 10 year period. Man, one half way decent meal out per year doesn't seem too expensive to me.

Of course I am sort of biased because I am one of the folks getting rich from the instruction fees, still waiting for the bank account to reflect that wealth.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I am a Texas resident. I do not have a Texas permit, I do have a Utah permit. It was cheaper and easier to get.

If you live in a state, say Texas, wouldn't it be good to know the Texas laws instead of Utah laws? Taking the easy way or cheapest way out isn't necessarily the best option when your talking about learning when you can used deadly force.
    I know not everyone does things my way, but in my opinion, regardless of what classes you've taken (and a lot of them give faulty legal information even for the state they are instructing), it is your responsibility as a concealed weapon carrier to research and know the law for the state you are currently in. Ignorance is not bliss in regard to the law. I never took a TX CHL class, but I am pretty well versed in TX CHL and deadly force laws. When I visit my parents in WA, I research WA carry and deadly force laws.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    I am a Texas resident. I do not have a Texas permit, I do have a Utah permit. It was cheaper and easier to get.
    I hope your well versed in Federal law as well and remain off of school properties or similar places where you might be restricted without a resident state permit.

Oh, and where do you get that alot of classes give faulty legal information? If you haven't attended a class for Texas how would you know? I guess discrediting the instruction you have never taken is a good way to justify your looking for the cheap and easy way to obtain a carry permit, but then again what would I know, I am probably one that gives faulty information. Not hardly.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Instructor

IT shouldn't be something to help the state budget .....
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    i'm not sure I follow you-- are you saying that it is a shame that it is so easy to PURCHASE a permit to exercise your CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT? I think it is a shame it costs us anything at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    IT shouldn't be something to help the state budget .....
    So what about states like Texas and Florida that don't have income tax. They aren't filling their general fund with those revenues so they have to have money to operate from other sources.

Utah has a state income tax to put money into the budget, so maybe that is why they can offer reduced price for their permits. Looking at one aspect, the price of the permit is pretty short sight in my view.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member
    I've often wondered if California were to allow statewide and out of State residents to have permits at say; $200~$300 each, they'd be out of debt in no time.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    So what about states like Texas and Florida that don't have income tax. They aren't filling their general fund with those revenues so they have to have money to operate from other sources.

Utah has a state income tax to put money into the budget, so maybe that is why they can offer reduced price for their permits. Looking at one aspect, the price of the permit is pretty short sight in my view.
    All states collect taxes, in one form or another or one source or another, to operate, etc. So, you and I are paying for lots of things that we will never use or see the benefit of... supposedly for the better good. So, why should this be any different ? Some states are using "licenses" as a way ... not to recooperate their costs .... but to add to the state funds that have nothing to do with CCL, and I don't think they should charge higher, etc. to generate additional "income" . Texas has it's taxes, I lived there too, but the fact they don't have an income tax has little to do with it.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links