Awkward at the YMCA

Awkward at the YMCA

This is a discussion on Awkward at the YMCA within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Wife & I had just about finished our workout & it was about 30 minutes or so before they closed that night. Just about everyone ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Awkward at the YMCA

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar

Awkward at the YMCA

Wife & I had just about finished our workout & it was about 30 minutes or so before they closed that night. Just about everyone else had left but us (except for a couple employee's).

I usually leave my handgun locked in the car (well lit area - usually a Sheriff's Deputy down there for side job for the Y - usually but not every night).

This time I forget and have my S&W 642 in pocket of my gym shorts. Not very comfortable - good thing shorts had a tie or would have kept falling down.

I'm getting water then walk up to where my wife's talking to a couple ladies (YMCA employee's). They are talking about how spooky it is late a night when it's almost empty, most patron's already gone.

Just when I'm almost on them my wife says "Oh, my husband's a Fed. He carries all the time. You don't have to worry if he's around."

Well, I'm both flattered at her feeling that way AND embarrassed at the same time.

At that time I'm right up on them & one of the ladies look at me and say "Well where you carrying it - whatcha got?"

I'm not happy at what the wife did but - Oh Well, you can't un'ring a bell.

I tell them "I"m not Batman but yes I am armed". She wants to see what I have - says she's thinking about getting a gun. I pull the .38 snubby from my pocket - just enough for her to see & put it back. Both of them were surprised to see it but said they'd like to get one some day for when they leave and no one's around.

So - no big deal, just felt awkward at that happening that way. Just thought I'd share with ya'll before going to bed.
    For God, Family and Country!

VIP Member
    Invite them with the wife to a day of shooting.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Good and bad I see out of this situation or the encounter. My wife knows better than to blow my cover. What's done is done.

Once the Genie was out of the bottle, you handled it the only way you could.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Invite them with the wife to a day of shooting.
    Yeah and have her buy all the ammo.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

My six-year-old daughter outed me last year before I retired. We were at Wally World on East Speedway in Tucson, and I was buying jeans (Hey, you can't beat $16.00 Wranglers). I was probably wearing my usual off duty "uniform" of cargo pants, hiking boots, and a sweatshirt over a tucked-in polo. I KNOW I wasn't printing. I am 6'4" and 250lbs and I always wear a size larger in sweatshirts, so I know my itty bitty Officers ACP was covered.

Two ladies who sounded like they were from New Yawk or New Joisey were talking about "How terrible it is that people in Arizona can just go around carrying guns". She said the last word as though it hurt her face to say it.

My daughter hears this and says to me in that louder-than-neccessary-kid-voice "Daddy, that lady don't know anything. You're a good guy and you have your gun to protect us!"

I turned to face my midget, and said "I know Sweety, it's okay".

"You have a gun? Why do you have a gun? Are you a criminal? Do you think you're some kind of Bernard Goetz? All we need is one more macho ******* with a gun!" She says to me as her voice escalates to the point of almost shouting.

I set the jeans I was going to purchase on the counter by the fitting room, and took my daughter's hand to walk away, but the snapperhead continued her harangue adding that I probably beat my wife....I mean she was really off her can.

"Daddy......."

"I know Sweety, let's just go".

The woman actually following us down the aisle now and saying that I should have my daughter taken away because I was unfit as a parent because of the guns.

When she said that, I had had quite enough...especially since people were now staring at her giving me the business.

"Ma'am...I am going to have to ask you to stop right there. You are scaring my daughter. If you keep this up, I WILL call the police, and I will have you arrested."

"For what? I suppose you're just going to pull out your gun and shoot me aren't you?"

"No ma'am, but I will have you arrested for disturbing the peace, disorderly conduct, threats and intimidation, and I could also have you charged with assault. Now please end it. You are scaring my daughter, and I am done listening to you."

"Go ahead and call the police and I will sue you!"

I pulled out my wallet, showed her my star and said..."Ma'am...I AM the police, but even if I weren't it is LEGAL here in Arizona for people to carry a gun. It is SAFER here in Arizona because so many people are armed. Have you heard of any school shootings here? How often do you hear about an officer being shot by a person with a permit to carry? Let me tell you, as a cop, since we have had permits in Arizona....NO ONE with a permit to carry has EVER shot an officer. But you know what isn't so great about Arizona?"

"What?" She said....now a whole lot more quiet and clearly embarrassed.

"Seeing a parking lot full of eastern license plates and loudmouthed people like yourself who just won't leave people alone. I tried to ignore you, and you wouldn't have it. I walked away and you followed me and my daughter. I told you in no uncertain terms that YOU were scaring her, and still you kept up. Now, do you leave or do I call an on-duty officer to come and start doing paperwork?".

She looked like she was about to build up a fresh head of steam when one of the assistant managers walked up. He told her to leave, and that if she didn't HE was going to call the police and have her arrested for trespassing!

"Well...I want your name and badge number!"

"Ma'am....you will get neither my name nor my badge number...I am off duty, I am not here in an official capacity. I am shopping with my daughter. But okay, if you really want it, I will give it to you when the other officers get here". I pulled out my cell phone and started to dial.

She turned on her heels and stormed out.

I hit END, and apologized to the assistant manager for the scene. He told me he recognized me and had seen me in uniform in the store. I knew I was going to have to write an OD/IR to cover my buttocks (nothing ever came of it but you know...CYA).

So...the little one and I finished our shopping in peace. On the way home I reminded her not to talk about Daddy's gun when we were around people we didn't know.

Out of the mouths of babes I guess.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    I would pay to see the look on her face when you badged her, that must have been priceless
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

VIP Member
    AZ Infidel
    What a story! Congratulations on keeping your composure, that had to be especially tough around "beat your wife" and "unfit parent". Good job.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member
    Round of applause for AZ Infidel!

Well handled, and extra kudos for the way you covered things with your daughter. She's lucky to have a daddy like you.
    The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights Reserved

Armycop,

maybe your wife will aquire some new range partners out of this, and yea, make her buy the ammo.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

"Seeing a parking lot full of eastern license plates and loudmouthed people like yourself who just won't leave people alone. I tried to ignore you, and you wouldn't have it. I walked away and you followed me and my daughter. I told you in no uncertain terms that YOU were scaring her, and still you kept up. Now, do you leave or do I call an on-duty officer to come and start doing paperwork?".[/QUOTE]

Not to hijack the thread, but- when I was at NAU, my roomate had a bumper sticker that said "Welcome to Arizona-Now go home" always got a kick outta that
    FW21

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Infidel View Post
    "You have a gun? Why do you have a gun? Are you a criminal? Do you think you're some kind of Bernard Goetz? All we need is one more macho ******* with a gun!" She says to me as her voice escalates to the point of almost shouting.
    Funny they should say this....IIRC, Goetz was found justified in the shooting, but was convicted of weapons charges....so all Goetz was guilty of was carrying a tool that saved his life.

I would have invited them to go back to their "safe" state...and leave mine alone (I have the same problem with folks travelling south to VA and having an irrational response to an inanimate object)
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by fastk9dad View Post
    Round of applause for AZ Infidel!

I second that motion.

Excellent post AZ Infidel. Outstanding composure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links