Pima County Sheriff Clarence Dupnik Condemns Arizona Carry Laws Today

This is a discussion on Pima County Sheriff Clarence Dupnik Condemns Arizona Carry Laws Today within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I cannot believe how this Sheriff Clarence Dupnik continues to behave so irrationally and unprofessionally during his press conferences. Today's news conference was even more ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pima County Sheriff Clarence Dupnik Condemns Arizona Carry Laws Today

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar

Pima County Sheriff Clarence Dupnik Condemns Arizona Carry Laws Today

I cannot believe how this Sheriff Clarence Dupnik continues to behave so irrationally and unprofessionally during his press conferences. Today's news conference was even more bizarre than yesterday's.

In today's conference he strongly condemned Arizona's lax gun laws, especially allowing people to so easily carry concealed. He implied that Arizona's gun laws were actually causing gun violence, referring to Arizona as being the "Tombstone" of the nation. He specifically said:

"We're the tombstone of the United States of America. I have never been a proponent of letting everybody in this state to carry weapons whenever they want and that's almost where we are at here in Arizona."

He also strongly attacked the state legislature for a current bill before it to make it legal for concealed carry to be allowed on schools and colleges. He specifically said that the legislature:

"is proposing students and teachers be able to carry weapons. ...Colleges should be run by college presidents, not the Arizona Legislature."

Finally, he also criticized Arizona's stance on immigration during the interview, and said that the state has become a “mecca for racism and bigotry”.

This sheriff is not 2nd Amendment friendly at all, and definitely not a supporter of concealed carry. I'm really struck how he continues to provide hardly any information at all during his press conferences, and goes off on these tirades regarding subjects that really have nothing at all to do with his duties in this case.

He seems so emotionally overwhelmed during his press conferences. I've never seen a sheriff in a major crime press event behave so unprofessionally, and stray so far off the subject of the crime that he is investigating. Perhaps the stress of the situation is causing him to crack. But it would almost seem like he has his own political agendas that he is advancing in his news conferences.

And one of them is definitely an anti-carry message.

I wonder if the bill to allow concealed carry on campus in Arizona is now dead politically? I'll be very surprised if it is now able to pass.

2. Remove Ads

+1.......... I agree with your post in regards to Dupnik and his outspoken statements blaming almost anything but the unbalanced shooter for the tragic events that occurred. I heard a statement he made at one of his earlier press confrences that he was 75 years old and could not hear that well when asked a question by a reporter. I would also conclude that he does not think very clearly when making some of his opinionated statements. As Sergeant Joe Friday use to say, "Just the facts mam, just the facts". Well Mr. Dupnik, just the facts sir, just the facts.
    Last edited by Old School; January 9th, 2011 at 07:19 PM.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Clarence is as left leaning as he can be, while still getting re-elected by the voters in the county, who are mostly conservative. If he could he would be even more left leaning, but he is smart enough to realize that it would cost him his job.

He has never been a friend to gun owners, and I don't look for that to change.

Biker

Given the shooter referred to only 5 % of the people being literate, and grammar.... they are now suggesting that he was referring to the high Hispanic population in Arizona, and his references to "how it's ruining our country" . Personally, I think he's a nut job who was guided... by someone else.

There have been lots of nut jobs around the country, from Va. Tech and on.... with several mass and school shootings, etc. where the perp was either not old enough to have a gun, or ignored all of the "laws" anyway (gun free zones, etc). So, that has little to do with stopping nut jobs, nor a justification for law-abiding citizens not being able to carry guns to protect themselves, when the police obviously can't. The Sheriff seems to have his agenda, and is trying to use this tragedy as a platform to voice it, which is not the place nor the time to do so.

I'ld like to know this.... the guy supposedly bought the gun "legally" on Nov 30, yet.... he has a 2007 drug paraphenalia conviction, and 2 drug related arrests after that. How on earth did he buy the gun legally ? Something is not smelling right here at all.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Senior Moderator
    I'ld like to know this.... the guy supposedly bought the gun "legally" on Nov 30, yet.... he has a 2007 drug paraphenalia conviction, and 2 drug related arrests after that. How on earth did he buy the gun legally ? Something is not smelling right here at all.
    It could be that the drug parapanalia was a misdemeanor which did not disqualify him and that the 2 drug related arrests were never tried in court.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    From what I have read, the one conviction was a misdemeanor (small fine), and the other charges never resulted in any actual criminal conviction. One misdemeanor at 19 shouldn't be enough to permanently deny you your rights.

The larger red flags are his obvious disconnect from reality - but that treads very dangerously into the realm of thoughtcrime. Fortunately (and unfortunately), we can't take action against someone until they DO something; as a free society we (basically) let people say and think whatever they want.

As for Sheriff Doofus... He is only SLIGHTLY less whacky than the shooter...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I hope Campus Carry isn't affected by this case.

One of the early reports indicated that someone had returned fire and taken the shooter down. It ended up not true, but I wonder what this sheriff would have said if it had been true?

Agreed on all point OPFOR.

At the end of the day there is nothing at all that could have been done legally, lawfully or even functionally to prevent this man from carrying out his plan.
    Aside from of course she not having the congresswoman attend her own rally/event.

Fact is there are crazy people and marginally mental folk all around us.
    We go to work, school, church and dinner with them. They are everywhere and many even look just like us...When held up to a mirror.
    A notable example of same is in the lack of professional conduct and gross politicized grandstanding statements as by Sherriff Dupnik.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

For one who condems the current vitriol, the sheriff seems to lack the willingness not to use the same virulence of speech against those who would support or exercise their rights.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    For one who condems the current vitriol, the sheriff seems to lack the willingness not to use the same virulence of speech against those who would support or exercise their rights.
    I hope nobody takes him seriously, he went into a similar diatribe over the SB1070 controversy. He all but called the illegal immigrant population to violence, while calling anyone that supported it racist, and misquoted the bill regularly. He just wants the attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Agreed on all point OPFOR.

At the end of the day there is nothing at all that could have been done legally, lawfully or even functionally to prevent this man from carrying out his plan.
    Aside from of course she not having the congresswoman attend her own rally/event.

Fact is there are crazy people and marginally mental folk all around us.
    We go to work, school, church and dinner with them. They are everywhere and many even look just like us...When held up to a mirror.
    A notable example of same is in the lack of professional conduct and gross politicized grandstanding statements as by Sherriff Dupnik.

- Janq
    Well stated.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Many on the anti side believe that the fact you cannot legally single out a person until they have already acted is proof that the only logical measure left is to restrict everyone. By restricting everyones rights you are not being judgmental or discriminatory. No one can say they are being unjustly denied a right that no one else has either. If those that are a threat cannot be prevented from abusing their rights then the only alternative is to take those rights from everyone. That way we would all still have the same although fewer rights. We would be equals.

Michael

Watching Fox News right now, the father of the girl killed at this shooting just said that 'nothing good comes from guns'. Won't be long before the Brady Bunch starts taking advantage of this tragedy and using this poor family as a soundbite. And I'm sure that Sheriff Dufus will be glad to help.

Heh, Megyn Kelly is calling the Sheriff out on getting political during this :-D

'shouldn't you just be reporting the facts?' Love it.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    + 1........You have a way with words sir and are right on target.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links