What most will fail to recognize

This is a discussion on What most will fail to recognize within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Barbary What I find interesting is how the media has focused mainly on the politicians/officials who were injured or killed. The private ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 48

Thread: What most will fail to recognize

  1. #16
    Ski
    Ski is offline
    Member Array Ski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbary View Post
    What I find interesting is how the media has focused mainly on the politicians/officials who were injured or killed. The private citizens who were killed/injured barely get a mention.
    This so true. luckily the congresswoman is still alive but she is high profile, so the media makes it out to be that it happened to her. I hope they take notice to the fact that the guy who help tackle the shooter is a CCW holder.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #17
    VIP Member
    Array Hopyard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Disappeared
    Posts
    11,601
    Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    Not true by any means at all. Advocating rushing out to buy high cap magazines would also be a knee jerk reaction.

    The same fears were all expressed when Obama was elected, yet, nothing materialized.

    It is not going to happen now either.

    The sky is not falling.

    .
    Finally something we agree upon. No such legislation will get past The House with its present makeup. No such legislation can get past the Senate. And no such legislation would be signed by O, even if he liked it, ahead of an election.

    Nothing is going to happen at the Federal level.

    I'd however not be surprised if some states, maybe even AZ, reconsider magazine capacity.

  4. #18
    Ex Member Array azchevy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Oceanfront Property
    Posts
    3,850
    Va Tech shooting..... McCarthy frothed at the mouth.... nothing happened......

  5. #19
    VIP Member Array livewire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    2,050
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbary View Post
    What I find interesting is how the media has focused mainly on the politicians/officials who were injured or killed. The private citizens who were killed/injured barely get a mention. I find this rather telling. It seems that an us(politicians) vs. them( the average citizen) has been developing for a long time. I've already seen a politician in Kentucky get on television and say "that measures need to be taken...". The knee jerk reaction seems to be a possible outcome of this tragedy. Hopefully cooler heads will prevail.
    One side of that might be privacy concerns. I've been seeing the "six dead" statistic a lot, and the father of that 9 year old girl was interviewed, but I think a lot of it's being left alone in deference to the families' privacy. The Federal Judge and the Congresswoman were public figures. Also, there is a lot more info available about them.

  6. #20
    Member
    Array rigel42's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    473
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Don't count on it. Carolyn McCarthy is planning to introduce gun control bills Monday in response to the shooting in AZ.
    They really don't waste any time
    http://motherjones.com/mojo/2011/01/...islation-floor

    The extended magazine on the Glock 19 Loughner used was illegal under the assault weapons ban that expired in 2004. Gun control advocates hope the tragedy might provoke fresh discussion on the ban, and on the ability to buy weapons that appear designed for mass murder. "He had an additional magazine capability. Thatís not what a hunter needs," Rep. Mike Quigley (D-Ill.) told Politico. "Thatís not what someone needs to defend their home. Thatís what you use to hunt people."

  7. #21
    Ex Member Array azchevy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Oceanfront Property
    Posts
    3,850
    As soon as Mike Quigly recognizes they are used to hunt people and atempts to disarm every LE agency in America as well using hicap mags then his stance will not be hypocritical. After all Police have weapons to defend themselves not hunt people, right Mike?

  8. #22
    Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    So. Central PA
    Posts
    1,734
    Quote Originally Posted by ncsteveh View Post
    Well I'm back from the lgs, spent more than i wanted to but oh well, picked up a gen4 G-19 with 4 standard glock hi-cap mags, the more i thought about it the extended mads don't make sense, plus the shop only had the import mags so that totally made up my mind.
    Well done! Contratulations on the new Glock. Glad you decided to forget the 33 round magazines. The stock G19 with standard 15 round magazines is a reliable as gravity, accurate, low maintainance, easy to live with, concealable carry gun that will eat any commercial ammo you can buy over the counter and which is a piece of cake to reload for.

    It's concealable even on a 5'-8" 170 lb little old man (me <G>). The reason I c arry my 26 more than the 19 is it's more comfortable to sit in a car with the 26 at 4:30 than the 19 because of the shorter grip.

    I don't see any use for 33 round magazines for any anticipated civillian CCW or HD use. If you are up against a terrorist with a 33 round mag, wait them out then go for them when they reload. They are also harder to retain because they are so long there is room for two hands on them - possibly why the lady was able to wrestle the magazine away from the AZ shooter. If wrestling with a guy for a gun that has one of them you can get a two handed pile driver grip on it, barrel and magazine, which should make retaining the gun a lot harder for the bad guy.

    The 33 round mags were developed for the full-auto Glock 18 machine pistol which is itself about equally useless as a civillian CCW.

    I'm fortunate, my bride only likes revolvers so my semi's are safe. She's really propriatary about her revolvers though! Works for me.

    BTW: I pack both my 26 and 19 in the same CrossBreed SuperTuck. Work real fine, last long time.

    Again, congrats on the new 19. Ur gonna like it a lot. If "she" adopts it, just get another one. 'bout impossible to have too many Glocks.

    Fitch

  9. #23
    VIP Member Array livewire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    2,050
    If I had a Glock, I'd probably have a couple of 33 rounders . . . but only for range work. I hate reloading mags at the range :)

  10. #24
    Ex Member Array azchevy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Oceanfront Property
    Posts
    3,850
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
    Well done! Contratulations on the new Glock. Glad you decided to forget the 33 round magazines. The stock G19 with standard 15 round magazines is a reliable as gravity, accurate, low maintainance, easy to live with, concealable carry gun that will eat any commercial ammo you can buy over the counter and which is a piece of cake to reload for.

    It's concealable even on a 5'-8" 170 lb little old man (me <G>). The reason I c arry my 26 more than the 19 is it's more comfortable to sit in a car with the 26 at 4:30 than the 19 because of the shorter grip.

    I don't see any use for 33 round magazines for any anticipated civillian CCW or HD use. If you are up against a terrorist with a 33 round mag, wait them out then go for them when they reload. They are also harder to retain because they are so long there is room for two hands on them - possibly why the lady was able to wrestle the magazine away from the AZ shooter. If wrestling with a guy for a gun that has one of them you can get a two handed pile driver grip on it, barrel and magazine, which should make retaining the gun a lot harder for the bad guy.

    The 33 round mags were developed for the full-auto Glock 18 machine pistol which is itself about equally useless as a civillian CCW.

    I'm fortunate, my bride only likes revolvers so my semi's are safe. She's really propriatary about her revolvers though! Works for me.

    BTW: I pack both my 26 and 19 in the same CrossBreed SuperTuck. Work real fine, last long time.

    Again, congrats on the new 19. Ur gonna like it a lot. If "she" adopts it, just get another one. 'bout impossible to have too many Glocks.

    Fitch

    Some people don't see any use for people to own handguns..... your thoughts are on the same line of thinking as their thoughts. Why do you even own a firearm?

  11. #25
    VIP Member Array livewire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    2,050
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Some people don't see any use for people to own handguns..... your thoughts are on the same line of thinking as their thoughts. Why do you even own a firearm?
    And you just found the big disadvantage to 'our' side in the Gun Control/Rights debate. We're too easily splintered. That's why I pointed out that I could see a use for a 33rnd mag. Maybe I can't see a use for a gatling gun, but I will still loudly defend the right to own one. We need to stick together.

  12. #26
    Member
    Array rigel42's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    473
    They won't stop at 33 rounds. They will define high capacity as > 10 rounds and all my 9mm magazines are > 10 rounds. IMO if somebody wants to own 1,000 round magazine they can. I reserve my right to make fun of them, but I'll never stop them from owning one.

  13. #27
    Ex Member Array azchevy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Oceanfront Property
    Posts
    3,850
    Quote Originally Posted by livewire9880 View Post
    And you just found the big disadvantage to 'our' side in the Gun Control/Rights debate. We're too easily splintered. That's why I pointed out that I could see a use for a 33rnd mag. Maybe I can't see a use for a gatling gun, but I will still loudly defend the right to own one. We need to stick together.
    I agree and I am seeing some real disturbing comments from "firearm owners" on this website.

  14. #28
    VIP Member Array livewire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    2,050
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    I agree and I am seeing some real disturbing comments from "firearm owners" on this website.
    You see that a lot. . . a lot of hunters don't like rifles like my AR platforms, skeet shooters and waterfowl hunters don't like high-cap tactical shotguns, 1911 die-hards don't like high-cap tupperpistols, revolver shooters don't think there's a reason to own a semi-auto at all. Not as much here, but you do see it regularly.

  15. #29
    Member Array twocan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Key West
    Posts
    288
    Quote Originally Posted by ncsteveh View Post
    Well I'm back from the lgs, spent more than i wanted to but oh well, picked up a gen4 G-19 with 4 standard glock hi-cap mags, the more i thought about it the extended mads don't make sense, plus the shop only had the import mags so that totally made up my mind. Then I noticed, dare I say it,......... a G-20 , also picked up 2 spare mag for that gun and a case of range ammo for each and a few boxes of gold dots. Now it's time to look for holsters. oh by the way, I love my wife, she was on board with my purchases, which now leads me to believe that I may be loosing the 19
    Don't be so sad. Show her the Glock 26 (Baby Glock), and she will allow you to keep the G19.

    Now you will have two really dependable pistols.

    Capt. Art

  16. #30
    Member Array twocan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Key West
    Posts
    288
    Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    I just got my first semi-auto (Glock 27) and saw that they have a 30 round mag for it. While I think the mag would be interesting and fun to use at a range just to have, I don't see it being a practical item. I don't forsee myself being in a situation that would require that type of capacity. I also do see the logic of picking one up while they are available "just in case" they get banned, and at some point I see a need for one so at this point I am kind of on the fence.
    It seems to me that the only realistic way to use one at least as far as Concealed Carry goes would be as a secondary mag, perhaps tucked in an ankle rig. I don't think it would be easy to conceal a gun with a 30 round mag in your waistline.

    I wonder if a rush to purchase these, in the aftermath of a shooting like the one is Arizona would actually give the anti's something else to shout about? "All the gun nuts are arming themselves with high capacity mags, we need to ban them and start collecting those already out in the public!"
    BTW had there been any mention if the Arizona shooter was using a high capacity mag? I really haven't had time to research all the details.
    You might consider using a 33 rd mag while at home or in any self defense situation where you are making a stand with short notice. It certainly works well when you might be outnumbered. I also would not use it concealed, but it is great in a bedside cabinet.

    Capt. Art

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Recognize, React, Protect You and Yours
    By KTCameraman in forum Carry & Defensive Scenarios
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: January 5th, 2011, 09:30 PM
  2. Do you recognize this mag pouch?
    By Rollo in forum Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: May 9th, 2010, 10:45 PM
  3. States that recognize NY permits
    By bunker in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: April 15th, 2010, 06:14 PM
  4. NJ needs to recognize the second amendment
    By NJndsCCW in forum New Members Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: November 14th, 2009, 05:59 AM
  5. Pro gun bumper stickers only we would recognize
    By 4my sons in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: January 11th, 2008, 07:11 PM