Open or Concealed?

This is a discussion on Open or Concealed? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thanks for all the good responses, I am glad to see so many sentiments aligned with my own on this issue. For those who feel ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Open or Concealed?

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    Thanks for all the good responses, I am glad to see so many sentiments aligned with my own on this issue.

For those who feel that it may have been redundant to post this, thanks for not saying anything, but remember that in order to defend our positions to the "outside world" we need to be prepared to legitimately discuss why we do what we do, and how we do it.

Practice never hurts, and preparedness saves.
    Fear No Evil.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    If you are going to open carry, may I suggest...
    Attached Images
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    Concealed, it's nobody's business if I chose to carry a weapon and besides I want the surprise advantage if ever needed!

I carry concealed. I will start to open carry when not at work. I have a blog reserved for the topic of open carry. I will post every time I go public while I open carry, and will be descriptive as possible about any looks, incidences, and the like with regards to open carrying.

In MI, we can open carry on foot without a permit. If we have a CPL, we can open carry in a vehicle or aboard a boat, motorcycle (moped, scooter etc too), and ATV, snowmobile.

Gun grabs and the like are risks nonetheless, but I think the occurance or attempt is far less likely than actually needing to shoot someone. I hope to enlighten the forum users with my blog and learn too as the blog matures.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Both. I have the option here in VA and I choose to do both based on a number of factors.
    1. If you had the option would you carry concealed or open?

2. Do you feel that you have a tactical edge from one type of carry or the other?

3. Do you feel that if you were to carry openly, that you could maintain control over your weapon if you were assailed in hand to hand combat, or ambushed by a gang or group that was bent soley on taking that shiny pistol on your belt?
    1. I choose both. There are so many factors that help make my decision any given day as to whether or not I go open or concealed. Sometimes it's based on the clothing or attire I have on at the time, sometimes my location, sometimes my planned location, my comfort zone with my location and surroundings, and most often a little of all of the above.

2. As far as tactical edge I think there are pro's and con's to both. A pro to open would be faster, easier, and unobstructed access (cover garments etc...). At the same time, that can also be a con for anyone not heavily trained in H2H and weapon retention or someone not fully aware of their surrounds (lacking situational awareness). Concealed obviously has advantages that don't need to be spelled out. Disadvantages would be cover garment issues, snags etc... on the draw. You also lose that obvious "I'm not a sheep sign" (deterrence factor long before anyone ever decides to get close enough to cause a problem).

3. Kind of runs into #2 a bit. I personally feel fine with my weapon retention when carried open, but I've been training in various martial arts/H2H/MMA since I was in grade school. That may change for someone who hasn't had any training whether Martial Arts or professional LE training or perhaps someone who is just much much older and their body is a bit more frail and their reflexes aren't quite what they used to be.

Scott - where can I get a holster for that?

I prefer concealed, and carry concealed most of the time, the exception being when we go into Virginia for a meal at a nice restaurant, all the good ones serve alcohol. In NC you can not go in with a weapon in Va. It has to be exposed. I just expose my IWB weapon. It beats not having a weapon. I guess the NC legislators like sending business out of the state, as I go to Va for movies also because in NC you can not enter any paid event with a Concealed weapon.
    All of that being said I still believe it should be your right to decide where ever you live.

My choice...

Minnesota does not distinguish between open and concealed carry. If you have a permit, you can do either or both legally.

1. I almost always carry concealed. If I'm just knocking about in the yard (we live a little way from the road and have 5 acres of "yard") or house, I open carry if it is more comfortable. This is usually hot weather. If there are visitors or deliveries, I'll throw on a cover garment. For my security job, I don't mind open carry. I do, however, insist on a Level II (minimum) retention holster.

2. I think that concealed provides a bit of a tactical edge. The element of surprise may or may not win the fight, but it is nice to have. Additionally, if no one knows I'm armed, they won't be thinking of taking my gun. Drunk people will have to look for another reason to pick a fight. I can't be accused of brandishing my gun, etc.

3. I would say that no matter how good a person is at controlling his environment, enough people with the right conditions in their favor can take any (hu)man's gun. I believe in tipping the odds in my favor as much as possible if I must open carry: gun retention classes, Level II or III retention holster, situational awareness...

Summary: While open carry is legal and, in some cases, desirable, the social hassles and potential tactical disadvantages outweigh the advantages for me.
    Last edited by Olivia Chillia; July 13th, 2006 at 04:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by spyderdude
    Today's society is nothing like the lawlessness of the Old West...
    Neither was the Old West, actually. It just makes for more exciting movies to pretend that it was. The violent Old West that we know from movies existed for a very short time in a very few towns. The rest of the West was much quieter in terms of crime.

Both open and concealed provide pro's and con's. There is no "right" answer as to which one is better. It all simply depends on the situation (just like asking which gun is better sort of thread).

With that said, my personal opinion is to conceal in town and carry open away from town. I do not carry yet, but have been around my brother enough to know that the handgun attracts too much attention. Open carry would have it's advantages in the city just as much as out, but when I consider all of the hassle of dealing with the "why do you carry that" people, it's just simpler to carry concealed. :)
    Beretta 92FS

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott

"search" button.....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    Im pretty sure that if you banned everything that has been "discussed before" you would have nothing to talk about.

Searching is for encyclopedias, forums are for discussion.
    Fear No Evil.

Quote Originally Posted by hsuCowboy98
    Im pretty sure that if you banned everything that has been "discussed before" you would have nothing to talk about.

Searching is for encyclopedias, forums are for discussion.
    I don't think anyone is calling for an outright ban of repeat subjects, there are just some topics that keep coming up over and over and over again. Concealed vs. open carry and 9mm vs .45 "stopping power" are probably the two biggest. It's like debating about whether Coke or Pepsi is better. There's just never going to be a definitive answer. Everyone has their preferences, which for the most part, have already been stated in earlier threads. I am guessing that is why it was suggested that other threads be checked first.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulG
    Scott - where can I get a holster for that?
    You live in VA, you don't need a holster for that. As long as the magazine capacity is under 20 rounds you are good to walk down the street with it. I believe the Barrett only holds ten rounds. Not because they were trying to comply with the mag law, it just gets really heavy above ten rounds.

On topic, well open carry in Mo is a bit of a mystery. No good state level pre-emption so you can walk across the street and be illegal. So concealed is the deal for me here in Mo. I did open carry from time to time in VA. It was situational. As for a tactical advantage either way. Flip a coin.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

I chose concealed nobody else needs to know if I have a gun or not but me . If there is an issue I want the element of surprise to be for the bad guy .merlin45kout

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links