Open or Concealed? - Page 3

Open or Concealed?

This is a discussion on Open or Concealed? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In a perfect world, everyone of a like mind would open carry. Criminals could calculate their odds accordingly. Concealed carry would be just for those ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Open or Concealed?

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    In a perfect world, everyone of a like mind would open carry. Criminals could calculate their odds accordingly. Concealed carry would be just for those occasions where open carry was prohibited, like at certain jobs or locations. No permit required, of course. Not to mention it would be lot more convenient and comfortable to open carry. Maybe we could have an updated version of the Old West holster/belt combo. I'd rather "strap on" than "snap on" any day!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

I do both

About 50% of the time I conceal and the other 50% I open carry.

Here in Tennessee we have a handgun carry permit, it is not a concealed carry permit. You can do either as long as you have the permit. The Sheby County sheriffs deputies are well trained in the legality of civilian open carry and I have never been stopped or harrased by one. In fact, I have never seen anyone even bat an eye at the fact that I had either my PT-111 or my XD.40sc on my hip. I know people have seen it. But, no one has ever said anything, asked anything or freaked out.

I see the logic in concealed carry. I understand what some of you have said about the element of surprise and all. But, honestly, the convience of being able to carry my gun without having to worry about the wind blowing my outer cover garment open is great. And, here in West Tennessee it gets quite hot in the summer (as I am sure it does in many other parts of the country. Having moved here from Mobile Alabama just a year ago, I know what heat and humidity is.) and not having to wear a secondary outer garment, no matter how light it is, is wonderful. I usually wear a light button up shirt as the outer garment, like a Hawiian shirt and even that makes me hotter than wearing just my T-shirt and my gun.

So, to sum it up, I do both but my prefered method of carry is open.

I prefer to have the CHOICE - as it should be...

I Open Carry when I can... CCW when i must...

I would prefer TX to have a general Weapons Carry License - and let the holder decide...

If retention is a concern, wear a PaddleLok or a some other positive retention holster that provides ease of deployment by the wearer...

The "Tactical Surprise" element of CCW is way over rated, IMO...

I believe that open carry can be a BIG deterrent - for the same reason armed guards and LEO carry in the open. Most BG's are not going to target someone with a sidearm...

Open carry allows for the Choice by the Bearer (as it should be) AND prevents the legal fallout from Printing or Exposing your CCW inadvertently - and YES it has happened to most of us, at one time or another... DECRIMINALIZE these two elements of CCW and it would be a step in the right direction.

I do not care what those around me 'think' or how they respond to a Legally Carried exposed weapon... I think it is FUNNY that we never hear of any real resistance by the sheeple in other states that do have Open Carry provisions...???

Bottom line - IMHO - provide Legal CCWers the OPTION -

If you CHOOSE not to - I certainly respect and support that...
    If I CHOOSE to OC - I expect the same support...

YMMV...
    Semper Fi ~

Eagle Scout 1975
    U.S.M.C. 1978-84
    Commercial Pilot
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Certified Flight Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Life Member
    TSRA Member

www.TexasArmament.com

los
    Definitely Concealed. Why set yourself-up to BE the Target.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

PLEASE - Kindly knock off the condescending attitude -

Quote Originally Posted by Todd
    I don't think anyone is calling for an outright ban of repeat subjects, there are just some topics that keep coming up over and over and over again. Concealed vs. open carry and 9mm vs .45 "stopping power" are probably the two biggest. It's like debating about whether Coke or Pepsi is better. There's just never going to be a definitive answer. Everyone has their preferences, which for the most part, have already been stated in earlier threads. I am guessing that is why it was suggested that other threads be checked first.
    Checking Other Threads is a VERY Poor Substitute for a DISCUSSION... We know what they contain as well as you do.

This is a Discussion Forum - not a static repository of comments.

This is NOT a thread of Facts and Figures that you can post once and turn to when needed. This is a discussion of OPINIONS.

Some of us Prefer an Intelligent Discussion... Some of us prefer the Two-Way Communication that takes place in a Live forum.

So - If you please - Kindly knock off the condescending attitude -

If you are so tired of the particular subject matter, exercise your right of choice, ignore it and move on...

Thank you for your understanding, and Enjoy the banter...
    Last edited by TC-TX; July 16th, 2006 at 11:15 PM.
    Semper Fi ~

Eagle Scout 1975
    U.S.M.C. 1978-84
    Commercial Pilot
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Life Member
    TSRA Member

www.TexasArmament.com

Quote Originally Posted by los
    Why set yourself-up to BE the Target.
    Exactly! Well Put! - Now allow me to pose the same question to You - In a BG situation, Why set yourself up to be the target by concealing your Biggest Tactical Advantage?

IMO - Wearing open carries a Much Greater deterrent factor than CCW does...

Avoiding trouble Trumps active engagement Every Time!

I recognize that OC is NOT for everyone... but when it IS appropriate, wouldn't you really prefer to have the choice? (the way it Should Be?)
    Semper Fi ~

Eagle Scout 1975
    U.S.M.C. 1978-84
    Commercial Pilot
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Life Member
    TSRA Member

www.TexasArmament.com

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Here in Oklahoma, like Texas, it is concealed carry only. If open carry were legal here, I would like it so I could open carry in my car, and so that if I get out and forget to cover up, it is not a problem. Also "printing" could be a problem but not if open carry were legal. It would be nice to have the choice. But normally I would keep it concealed. I believe it IS a tactical advantage if I get targeted, plus I really don't like scaring the sheeple.

Why set yourself up to be a target?

Good statement. And honestly, I am more likely to be a target of crime while concealing my handgun than by open carrying it.

Here in West Tennessee we have had reports of attempted muggins of those concealed carrying and the BG usually ends up the worse for his effort. But, I have NEVER heard of anyone being targeted for their sidearm. I have also never heard of anyone being mugged or even an attempt being made to mug someone who was open carrying.

Open carrying is a deterent to criminal activity. And, as long as you stay aware of your surroundings, you have nothing more to worry about than if you were concealing your sidarm. In fact, I think someone who is open carrying is more likely to stay alert and aware of their surroundings than someone who is concealed carrying.

If you do not feel comfortable open carrying that is surely your right not to do it but, for me, I prefer open carry. And I for one do not care about scaring the sheeple. They need to understand that there are those of us among them who are not willing to just roll the dice every day and hope we aren't injured or killed by the scum that also walks among them.
    Last edited by TN_Mike; July 17th, 2006 at 01:26 AM.

I don't know why, but for some reason, some people have a tendency to put all manor of "courage" into the psyche of BGs. To say that carrying openly makes me a target, means that the BGs would rather risk death than seek out an apparently less lethal looking target.

Criminals do not want to earn their money the hard way. That's why they're criminals. Only the really desperate ones will take a chance. And there usually aren't too many of those around.

Besides, as long as you are vigilant, while you carry, you should be ok. And let's face it, even if you carry concealed, you still need to stay vigilant regardless.

*quote*Besides, as long as you are vigilant, while you carry, you should be ok. And let's face it, even if you carry concealed, you still need to stay vigilant regardless.*quote*

Exactly my point Mr. Lowe. And very well put.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Shady looking character walks in, turn your gunside away. Stand bladed with everyone, just as LE is trained. I do it all the time and I carry concealed. Nobody knows what your are doing, except the officers I talk to. They all know I carry.

I'm going to start open carrying soon, I just have to get my belt set. I will OWB and need an extra hole in my belt to take up the extra slack built in for IWB carry. I will open carry when not at work and conceal at work. With all the tourists from IL up here now, it will be interesting to see if they notice and what their reactions will be. "Welcome to the UP!!"
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Depends on What I am Doing

Blessed to live in a state where either choice is legal, with a CCW.

If I am working out back or have to make a fast run to Home Depot; it is open carry.

Any other time it is CCW. The good part I think is to not have to worry about printing!

William Wallace
    Do not stand between Me and Mine!!

Quote Originally Posted by TC-TX
    Checking Other Threads is a VERY Poor Substitute for a DISCUSSION... We know what they contain as well as you do.

This is a Discussion Forum - not a static repository of comments.

This is NOT a thread of Facts and Figures that you can post once and turn to when needed. This is a discussion of OPINIONS.

Some of us Prefer an Intelligent Discussion... Some of us prefer the Two-Way Communication that takes place in a Live forum.

So - If you please - Kindly knock off the condescending attitude -

If you are so tired of the particular subject matter, exercise your right of choice, ignore it and move on...

Thank you for your understanding, and Enjoy the banter...
    I apologize if you think I was being condescending, as it was not my intention. I was simply trying to explain to the original poster why some members and moderators may have felt that this topic is extremely redundant. It appeared to me that he felt we were calling for an all out ban on repeat topics, which was not the case, and I was simply trying to clarify.

Quote Originally Posted by jmiked
    Blessed to live in a state where either choice is legal, with a CCW ...The good part I think is to not have to worry about printing!

Thank you Mr Wallace - Well said...

Semper Fi ~

Eagle Scout 1975
    U.S.M.C. 1978-84
    Commercial Pilot
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Life Member
    TSRA Member

www.TexasArmament.com

Quote Originally Posted by Todd
    I apologize if you think I was being condescending, as it was not my intention. I was simply trying to explain to the original poster why some members and moderators may have felt that this topic is extremely redundant. It appeared to me that he felt we were calling for an all out ban on repeat topics, which was not the case, and I was simply trying to clarify.
    Thanks for the clarification Todd - no apology necessary, however it is graciously accepted...

My comment - while not directed solely at you - comes from the arrogant position that some folks have here and elsewhere.

Most topics of discussion here have been hashed and threaded many times over... and that is a Good Thing.

What some of the more veteran members (of this board and others) tend to forget is that regardless of how many times something has been discussed, there is ALWAYS more to learn and share. Other members that are new to the forum or the thread (no matter how old) have an opinion, they have experiences to share, and we ALL benefit from the exchange.

Discussion boards are designed to be exactly that - a Discussion...

Most people know to search out posts on an area of interest, especially when researching hard facts - stats, charts, remedies, and the like.

I will almost always search before posting no matter what I am starting a new thread over - if for no other reason than to get a feel for the temperature of the forum members, in general. But that search does not take the place of a discussion - nor should it impede the submission of a new twist to an old discussion.

I personally think that folks who take offense to re-threaded old discussions (or new threads about already-discussed old topics) miss the opportunity to educate, inform and Be Educated about things we Think we know all of the answers to.

IMO, In My experience, The topic of OC in TX is one of these Old topics I seek out as an opportunity to share, educate and be educated on... I do so because it is Important To Me and to My Students.

OC is one of those rare opportunities to share experiences and - In a Lot of cases - help members reformulate opinions toward a more benign position against - or a Healthy New Respect for OC. This is one topic where Honest Education and Open Mindedness can possibly help some folks avoid trouble in the first place.

Todd, I do believe you are correct when you say that this is a topic that HAS no right answer, but I DO believe that Accurate Information is required for people to made informed decisions. I do not believe OC is for everyone and everyone is entitled to his own opinion, and is responsible for holding that opinion. I respect that.

I do believe, however, that we have a responsibility to educate and attempt to alter opinions that have been based on poor education and bad information.

Thanks for letting me share with you. I look forward to Great Discussion in the future!
    Semper Fi ~

Eagle Scout 1975
    U.S.M.C. 1978-84
    Commercial Pilot
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Life Member
    TSRA Member

www.TexasArmament.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links