Open or Concealed?

Open or Concealed?

This is a discussion on Open or Concealed? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I realize that for many of you this may not be an issue, as several states are now open carry. BUT, here in Texas, and ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Open or Concealed?

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar

Question Open or Concealed?

I realize that for many of you this may not be an issue, as several states are now open carry.

BUT, here in Texas, and several other states, we are strictly concealed carry. While many people are pushing for open carry, I sometimes question how wise this move would be.

So, I would like to pose a few questions for ya'll, and get your views and opinions on the subject.

1. If you had the option would you carry concealed or open?

2. Do you feel that you have a tactical edge from one type of carry or the other?

3. Do you feel that if you were to carry openly, that you could maintain control over your weapon if you were assailed in hand to hand combat, or ambushed by a gang or group that was bent soley on taking that shiny pistol on your belt?

Heres my views.

1. I prefer concealed carry, for several reasons. One is, I dont want anyone to be able to single me or the people I am with out simply because there is a gun on my hip.

2. I prefer concealed carry here too, because I feel that the edge gained by producing a surprise weapon outweighs the deterrant effect of an exposed weapon.

3. I feel confident that I could keep someone (1-2 people) from reaching my weapon and taking it from me, but if they dont know that I am carrying, it would be awefully hard for someone to take something they dont know is there.

....however, I highly doubt that everyone (particulary one elderly gentleman I know of, who would carry his S&W 686 on his walker if it was allowed) is physically able to prevent someone or a group of someones from taking their weapon from an open carry holster.

EDIT: I would like to state that I am pro-open carry, but belive that there need to be some sort of qualification, whether it be physical or through training.
    Last edited by hsuCowboy98; July 18th, 2006 at 02:36 PM.
    Fear No Evil.

Quote Originally Posted by hsuCowboy98
    TECHNICALLY, I have the option I chose concealed...

2. Do you feel that you have a tactical edge from one type of carry or the other?
    Yeah, with Concealed, I have a definate edge...

3. Do you feel that if you were to carry openly, that you could maintain control over your weapon if you were assailed in hand to hand combat, or ambushed by a gang or group that was bent soley on taking that shiny pistol on your belt?
    If I were to carry openly, I'd worry about that. Concealed, I don't have to mess with retention as much, so long as it's in it's holster....
    Where's the best place to apply for your Ohio CHL?
    Find out at http://ccwhen.com! (Now with Chat!)

Единственная реальная власть приходит из длинней винтовки.

Here in Louisiana open carry is legal. However, people are stopped by police and even arrested at times because some officers do not know that it is legal.

In rural areas I have seen people carrying openly and it is fine. No one would question it. In the city environment I think it would draw attention from people who are either unaware of the law or anti-gun, this would lead to the police being called and unwanted problems. I think concealed is better for day to day carry as it does not draw attention.

In the area I live in I've been yelled at on the street because of my cigar, I don't know what would happen if one of these nosey people saw a gun.

I prefer concealed, by far.

But, I have and will carry openly every once in a while just because it ends up being more convenient for me.

I'd have to agree that concealed is the way to go for all the above stated reasons. At least in the standard urban setting that is. Out in the sticks where I grew up no one would have thought much about open carry and guns were just another tool most people had around them.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

VIP Member
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Not this again.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    [QUOTE=hsuCowboy98]

Usually concealed, occasionally open.

Tactically, concealed is better.

I have been trained in weapon retention, but when a BG does a gun grab, all bets are off.

Just a thought: I've spent some time in Texas, and may move there some day. I think the whole no-open carry thing is bullhockey. Smacks tradition in the face, and there is a lot of places in Texas where it would be absolutely no problem.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

I agree, there are alot of places where it would be no problem, especially where I grew up...now in the urban setting it is a whole differant game.

The reason I posed these particular questions is because at the gunstore that I work at, a vast majority of people who come in are gung-ho about trying to get open carry approved here. Our instructors tend to politely disagree with these people.

I just wanted to see what the broader sentiment was.

The point I always try to make is that the majority of people are not qualified to carry openly in an urban setting.
    Fear No Evil.

Assistant Administrator
    Do make sure to check out Scotts links in post #6 - the subject has been very much covered.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

While I prefer concealed carry, here in Texas a new combination open/concealed carry law might have some advantages in that 'printing' or accidentally showing a weapon would not be such a no-no. :no no:

The only advantage to open carry that I can see is that maybe the general public might get more accustomed to seeing a weapon and not get so freaked out if they see one when someone accidentally exposes a weapon.

hsuCowboy98, check your PM's.....
    Last edited by DaveT; July 13th, 2006 at 11:19 AM.

Personally, I prefer concealed. I do occasionaly carry openly when running earnds etc in places where I'm known.

REMEMBER - Its our RIGHT to do either......
    OPE Prostaff
    www.outdoorproductexchange.com

Sitting Ducks Ltd. Prostaff
    http://www.sittingducks-ltd.com/

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Today's society is nothing like the lawlessness of the Old West, where you can just walk around all day with a pair of revolvers and a shotgun. Our society views guns as deadly weapons, and not tools. Like many people on here, I too prefer concealed as I'd rather not take the risk of being confronted by police, and being the center of attention when I'm walking down the street. Plus I like the element of surprise if I ever encounter a BG.

while I "prefer concealed" I open carry every day as I get into my car....

pray we get the law fixed here in Ohio!!

I did check them out, thanks.
    Fear No Evil.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links