SCBT Not CCW Friendly... thoughts?

This is a discussion on SCBT Not CCW Friendly... thoughts? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, my bank just recently posted a sign. Its not correct signage per South Carolina law, but... I wrote this letter to the branch manager ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: SCBT Not CCW Friendly... thoughts?

So, my bank just recently posted a sign. Its not correct signage per South Carolina law, but... I wrote this letter to the branch manager of my local SCB&T branch. I plan on following up with corporate even though it won't do much. I'd love some pointers/criticism. I will be changing a lot of the wording from being directed to someone I know to someone I don't know.

Ms. Bank Manager:

I was recently at your branch and noticed for the first time that there is a No Concealable Weapons sign on your door. Where I respect that it is private property and will respect the sign I did want to email you and express my dislike of the branch decision to do this.

I am a South Carolina Concealed Weapons Permit holder. I chose to get a permit for my protection and that of my family. I carry everywhere that is permissible by law to do so and usually only frequent places that are not posted. There are places that I have to disarm to enter. It is an inconvenience to remove my weapon, place it in the proper storage place in the vehicle, and then enter an establishment. This also creates an awkward window where if someone looks into my vehicle while I am disarming which could create a “scene.”

I would also ask you to consider who would heed the sign on the door. An old proverb says, “Locks are for honest people.” In the same fashion, signs only apply to those who would heed signs. You only keep legally permitted folks who want to obey the law from carrying concealed in your branch. I doubt this would do anything for the more nefarious percentage of the population. I have always said that I would feel much safer knowing that I had SC CWP holders coming in and out all the time in the unlikely event that something bad should happen.

Lastly, I just wanted to let you know that all SC CWP holders have been fully instructed by SC SLED certified trainers in safe weapon handling and other weapon safety. South Carolina is one of the most stringent states in its adherence to quality education in safety and education requirements in the nation. It does not honor the permits of several adjacent states because it doesn’t feel the education requirements are to South Carolina standards. All permit holders also undergo strict SC SLED background checks similar to those for school teachers or nurses.

Thank you for your attention. I hope this note finds you well.

Respectfully,
    hEZE7had

Hellow "hEZE7had",

I am sorry I didn't get a chance to write you back on Friday and then we were unable to open yesterday and this morning due to the bad weather.

Thank you for sharing your opinion regarding concealed weapons. I imagine it is an inconvenience to "disarm" every time you come into the bank. I also understand that you are very trained with the use and storage of your weapon and how you may feel disarming may be unfair to you and fellow Americans who carry a concealed weapon.

I did some research about the requirement and the signs on our doors. Of course being in banking for 25 years I too have an opinion about guns in a bank but felt it was more important to give you the details behind this requirement.

The following information was provided by our security officer (also a former policeman):

"We are one of three states that have opted out of the cwp program we are following the law and the fbi recommendation we do not want guns in our bank. If we are presented with a gun/ robbery our tellers have received extensive training on how to handle such, they control the situation by remaining calm! We do not want other guns presented in such a situation. If a cwp pulled a gun and someone was hurt, they would have civil if not criminal aspects to face. The cwp is clearly told by law where they can and can not carry and by signing their license to carry they have agreed to comply. Other states have it written in law, no guns in banks. I am commissioned by sled as a retired pd and with home land security and I do not carry in a bank, the only thing that would come out of that is bad."

Safety is our main objective for our customers and our staff. I've been personally involved in two robberies in my banking career involving a firearm; and recently the state of SC has had a bank robbery almost daily where a gun has been involved. We simply can't tell the good guys from the bad guys and as you said though "locks of for honest people" we just wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a robber or a licensed person.

Again I appreciate you sharing your feelings with me. There are many occasions good people are affected by rules to protect against the bad people. I am sorry for the inconvenience and I hope you understand our position.

Respectfully,

Ms. Bank Manager

South Carolina Bank and Trust

Columbia, SC

The wool blanket gets thicker.

Time to close your accounts and find another bank.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by hEZE7had View Post
    There are many occasions good people are affected by rules to protect against the bad people.
    So this makes it OK?
    Please take my posts with a grain of salt. I am frequently sleep deprived and always just on this side of "Krazy".

When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle. Edmund Burke

"If we are presented with a gun/ robbery our tellers have received extensive training on how to handle such, they control the situation by remaining calm! "

I have trouble believing that by being calm a person can "control" a situation and a person with a gun. What am I missing?
    Bark'n and RemMod597 like this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

"we just wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a robber or a licensed person." "If a cwp pulled a gun and someone was hurt, they would have civil if not criminal aspects to face."
    I submit it isn't the bank's job to ascertain who is "good" and who is "bad"; that's a job for the police. If a responsible CWP holder draws his/her weapon, they are well aware that their actions may land them in a courtroom, even if they were 100% justified in doing so.

Unfortunately, the bank representative makes a strong case in favor of carrying in a bank by her statement citing the fact that "recently the state of SC has had a bank robbery almost daily where a gun has been involved". They seem to have the mistaken notion that I'm going to use my weapon to prevent a BG from illegally withdrawing insured assets in a room full of people.

Frankly, I couldn't care less about their money, it's my wife, kids, and me that I'm concerned about, followed by the other patrons. This state has a lot of things to brag about, but having smart crooks isn't one of them. I'd love to tell you to take your money elsewhere, but it's becoming more and more difficult to find financial institutions in SC that allow legal carry. Let's hope that the Legislature will one day add a No Exceptions clause and restore our full rights under the 2A.
    The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights Reserved

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    "If we are presented with a gun/ robbery our tellers have received extensive training on how to handle such, they control the situation by remaining calm! "

I have trouble believing that by being calm a person can "control" a situation and a person with a gun. What am I missing?
    Exactly!

Also, does that mean since the tellers have extensive training on how to control the situation, that if a civilian gets shot or killed by a robber, the bank now shares in liability for not successfully controlling the situation? <----- (rhetorical question.) Of course not!
    shooterX and SilvaMan61 like this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

How do the bank tellers control the situation if YOU get robbed in their parking lot? The money I bring in and take out is not insured by the bank.
    What if the robber decides he doesn't want any witness? Food for thought.
    Semper Fi
    RemMod597 likes this.

Why we choose to be armed

"If a cwp pulled a gun and someone was hurt, they would have civil if not criminal aspects to face."

Does the bank manager think that his bank is the only place the CWP holder faces the potential of civil and criminal liability? I choose to be armed in spite of this possibility because I have made a decision that I will not let anyone take my life or the life of my loved ones without a fight. That being said, I will let the BG's take all of the banks money anytime as long as they do not threaten my life or my loved ones. The tellers can "remain calm" and handle the situation as they have been "trained" to do but if the BG's so threaten my life or the lives of my family to the point that I cannot retreat from their threat I will make war until their threat is eliminated or I am no longer able to fight. Does anyone really think that those "no guns" signs mean anything to the BG's intent on robbing and killing?

"We are one of three states that have opted out of the cwp program we are following the law and the fbi recommendation we do not want guns in our bank. If we are presented with a gun/ robbery our tellers have received extensive training on how to handle such, they control the situation by remaining calm! We do not want other guns presented in such a situation. If a cwp pulled a gun and someone was hurt, they would have civil if not criminal aspects to face. The cwp is clearly told by law where they can and can not carry and by signing their license to carry they have agreed to comply. Other states have it written in law, no guns in banks. I am commissioned by sled as a retired pd and with home land security and I do not carry in a bank, the only thing that would come out of that is bad."
    Wow. Maybe the security chief (former policeman) was in a hurry when he wrote this, but I find the poor writing to be the expression of someone who's opinion I'm not giving much weight to. Do they do their accounting this sloppily? How does one get commissioned by "home land security" (sic).?

Yes, time to be looking for another financial institution.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

I didn't know I needed to be commissioned to retire.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

*sigh* I agree with the others, maybe time to find a new bank. Let them know why you are switching and that their logic is flawed.

We simply can't tell the good guys from the bad guys and as you said though "locks of for honest people" we just wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a robber or a licensed person.
    Really, they can't tell the difference? That's the easy part.... the robber is one holding the gun to your face asking for money, the good guy is the one in there conducting business with you.

There are many occasions good people are affected by rules to protect against the bad people.
    I REALLY want to hear how they think their stance helps protect against the bad people. I've yet to hear of a sign preventing a robbery.
    StormRhydr likes this.

I was told that if a bank robbery happens while in there carrying to do nothing. The robber wants one thing, the tellers are going to give it to him, it's not my money, the bank is insured, let him rob the place and be a witness. However there is that 1 in 1000 chance he may round everyone up and/or open fire then it sure would be nice to have an option besides wishing my ccw wasn't out in the car.
    oldnfat likes this.

Sigh...Concealed means CONCEALED...Proper signage is the law...If the signage isn't proper then..............(fill in the blank)..............If you are protected by all other carry requirements according to the law, then once again CONCEALED is CONCEALED... As others have suggested, you can always change banks...Let your conscience be your guide!!! JMO

Out of curiosity, what is meant by: " We are one of three states that have opted out of the CWP program"? Just asking....
    shooterX and ep1953 like this.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    You can tell the Manager that I OC and CC in banks on a regular basis and so far, there has not been a problem. But I'm just one guy, in one state.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

I have yet to meet a late teen, early twenties (at least that is what runs most of the banks here in my hood) remain calm in a crisis, let alone somebody threatening them with a gun.

No, I think the bank has taught compliance, not calm. Remain calm, do what they say, and they will not hurt you. Criminals only hurt those that resist or make them angry. Grass eater logic.

If all the banks are going gun free, there are lots of online banking options. I've got USAA, not a branch located in CO, and I have yet to have a problem. Need cash, plenty of ATMs that are not on a sidewalk next to an alley, and you don't get charged for fees.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links