And Everyone Said that I was crazy for carrying a BUG.

This is a discussion on And Everyone Said that I was crazy for carrying a BUG. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I decided to go to the Indoor pistol range we have in town yesterday to shoot my CCW (SW40VE) and my BUG (LCP). To ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: And Everyone Said that I was crazy for carrying a BUG.

And Everyone Said that I was crazy for carrying a BUG.

So I decided to go to the Indoor pistol range we have in town yesterday to shoot my CCW (SW40VE) and my BUG (LCP). To begin I pulled my LCP from its Nemesis pocket holster and fired off 13 rounds of PowerBall.

I then pulled my Sigma from my Kholster, leveled the sights, took a breath and.....click. Tap, Rack, Click. I took a look at the rounds and the primers hadn't been touched. Under closer examination I found that the end of the firing pin had broken off. Long story short I'm waiting on the return label.

The thing that got me thinking was that if I would have had use my primary CCW, it would have gone click. That is the exact reason that I carry my LCP - another option. Now all I have is my LCP to carry until my Sigma gets fixed and I am wondering about the .380 as a effective primary SD round. Im just wondering if anyone has had this kind of smack in the face situation happen to them and what kind of thoughts it brought to mind.

As a side note I fed my LCP another 200rds of WWB and 50 rds of PowerBall without a hiccup.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    "Two is one and one is none" TCP in my pocket is great back up and can be drawn left handed if my right hand is preoccupied.

I would advise against PowRBall in .380. This round is light weight for the caliber, and most of the testing I've seen shows that it tends to shed its jacket, thus having poor weight retention.

An additional issue is that some LCPs (we have 3 of them - 2 for me and 1 for my wife) exhibit a tendency to put a "smiley face" on the ammo - with the polymer tip, the PowRBall could be more prone to the issue. I had this happen with my wife's LCP with PowRBall, and that was it for me. I even had it happen to one of mine with FMJ ammo...but Ruger fixed it up. Yours seems to eat the stuff up, but I would eject and check a few of the chambered rounds after firing the one in the chamber just to be sure you aren't seeing excessive bullet tip deformation.

With the .380, I tend to carry WWB 95 gr FMJ, which is a flat point bullet. Bearing in mind that the FBI calls for 12 - 15 inches of penetration, it seems that FMJ is the way to go. Check out some testing out of a similar P3at:

http://www.goldenloki.com/ammo/gel/380acp/gel380acp.htm

Oh...and I carry a LCP in my left pocket as a secondary to my primary G26. Yup.
    Last edited by 10thmtn; January 12th, 2011 at 02:52 PM. Reason: more info
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Not a fun discovery.
    There is a method I use to check my firing pins. Take a piece of scotch tape and stick on the rear of a snap cap, then trim it down to the size of the rim. Insert the snap cap and go through the firing process. There should be a puncture in the scotch tape. While probably not absolute, it should show a firing pin so damaged that it does not contact the primer of the cartridge in the chamber with any force.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I had read about the "smileys" placed on the end of the round and even told myself when I read it that the next time I was at the range I would check for them. Well of course I forgot to yesterday so taped a note on my shooting glasses to remind myself for next time.

I like to keep the FMJ in elsie in the winter months and stagger FMJ and PBall (well tested thru my LCP) in the summer. I have heard alot of good things about the PBall ammo and its what most of the LEOs in my town carry in their BUGs. 10thmtn very good penetration tests but the two main types of ammo that I carry, (PBall and S & B FMJ ) were not on the list. Anyone have any penetration tests with those types of ammo???

Cool

P18163004.jpg

I like the 95 grain Speer Lawman FMJ in my Diamondback 380 BUG because I want as much penetration as I can get from a round that has about 200 FP energy and 1000 fps of velocity. This round gives about 16 inches of penetration in bare ballistic gel according to tests I have read.

http://www.ballistics101.com/380_acp.php
    Last edited by Old School; January 13th, 2011 at 11:10 AM.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I've never read anything good about the Sigma line up.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    X2. On my avoid list just like Taurus

not sure how this would work in other pistols, but after cleaning and reassembly of my 1911s i'll drop a bic pen down the barrel, pointy end up, & launch it toward the ceiling. a pencil with a fresh eraser works well, too.
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

VIP Member
    I'm glad you discovered this at the range instead of when something was hitting the fan

the only time I've discovered something like this was when I first started carrying my HK USP 45
    at the range I fired a couple of rounds and jam....cleared....jam....cleared....jam
    come to find out mag spring was going/gone bad

this, combined with me knowing Mr. Murphy on a first name basis, caused me to always carry spare mags for my pistols
    I also carry a bug most of the time off-duty, and always when I'm on-duty
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    X 3. First rule-have a gun. Second rule-carry a gun that works, with a reputation for reliability and quality.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    X 3. First rule-have a gun. Second rule-carry a gun that works, with a reputation for reliability and quality.
    When I bought my Sigma I knew about the trigger and all the bad things that were associated with this firearm. But it was from a manufacturer that I had faith in. I haven't lost my faith in S&W, just the Sigma brand. But the ergos of the gun just fit my hand perfectly so I am now considering upgrading to their SD40. Wonder if they will let me pay the difference and them send me a SD back???

I got a sigma .40 for sale... but this might not be the right thread to hock it in. LOL
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

OP - Here is some done in wetpack...

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/S...9;R%20Ball.htm

Bottom line is that light/fast-for-caliber bullets tend to under penetrate. That is especially undesirable in something like a .380. IMHO, use FMJ - all seem to get 16-17 inches, which exceeds the FBI standard.

Edit - Hornady Critical Defense gets close to 12, and may be a good choice if you really insist on using an expanding bullet. The 90 gr Speer Gold Dots and regular Cor Bon JHPs seemed to do well also...but none got to the 15 inches desired by the FBI.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    I would just leave the Sigma at home and carry the LCP then call it good. I would carry a BUG too if I carried a Sigma. :)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links