Safety concerns about pocket pistols

This is a discussion on Safety concerns about pocket pistols within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Safety concerns about pocket pistols I am used to carry a Glock 19. Glock has severl safeties including a trigger safety. This trigger safety gives ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Safety concerns about pocket pistols

I am used to carry a Glock 19. Glock has severl safeties including a trigger safety. This trigger safety gives me a piece of mind in helping to prevent accidental discharges.

I want a pocket 380 such as LCP, TCP, P3-AT (most do not have a manual safety or a trigger safety) or a snubbie.

Can someone explain how safe these are to carry in a pocket holster?

Are the only safety devices usually the DA long trigger pull?

VIP Member
    If it helps, think of it as a double-action revolver. It has the same external safety features. In the LCP for example, the hammer is still forward while the round is in the chamber. It doesn't come back until you begin the trigger pull.

Carried in a pocket holster that protects the trigger, you should be able to carry it responsibly.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by WHEC724; January 13th, 2011 at 01:59 PM.

Allways carry in Pocket holster that covers the trigger gaurd! But I never carry a gun without a manual safety. Just a personal preferance.

I have a P3-AT. The trigger pull is so long on it I have no worries while pocket carrying or my normal clip carry. The pull is so long, that while some family was down a cousin thought it was broken because he had not pulled the trigger all the way back. A good pocket holster should take away all your concerns as the trigger will be fully covered and there would be no way for anything to "accidentally" get in and pull the trigger.
    Please take my posts with a grain of salt. I am frequently sleep deprived and always just on this side of "Krazy".

When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle. Edmund Burke

I carry a Seecamp that has no external safety. The trigger pull is pretty long and firm.
    I carry it in a pocket holster that covers all of the trigger.

My other pocket gun is the Sig P-238. It is single action only so to fire you either have to have one in the chamber safety on, or rack the slide.
    The safety is VERY firm and positive, but I still haven't found the pocket holster that covers both the trigger and safety.

Plaxico Burris carried a Glock, gangsta' style, with no holster and shot himself. The trigger safety didn't save him.

With a good pocket holster you should be fine. I've pocket carried my LCP for over a year now with no issues.

Cool

I carry a Diamondback .380 as a BUG in a High Noon Pocket Grabber and I feel completely comfortable with the safety of this combo.

P18163004.jpg

P18162748.jpg
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I have carried the following in a Mika Pocket Holster:

J-Frame
    Glock 26
    Kahr PM9

I have not found much to be concerend about, regarding safety, when one uses a pocket holster that covers the trigger and nothing other than the firearm is in the pocket. Also, I would not look at the Trigger safety on a Glock as much of a safety. If your finger, or a tube of Chapstick depresses it, the gun will fire as intended. Because of their inherently long and heavy trigger pull I would look at a Double Action Only Revolver, like the 442/642, if I had safety concerns such as your's.

Biker
    Last edited by BikerRN; January 13th, 2011 at 01:13 PM. Reason: typo

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    I carry a TCP in a an uncle mikes #2 everyday as long as the trigger is covered your ok plus they have such a long trigger pull

Before I got into Glocks I had concerns about their lack of an external safety as my previous single and double action autos had them and that little trigger thingy just didn't satisfy my concerns (still doesn't). Once I got my mind around the notion that my revolvers had no external safety, and they were safe, I got relaxed with Glocks. Any holster needs to cover the trigger and, for pocket carry, NEVER put anything else in that pocket. Some guy in Lynchburg, VA shot his leg in a pizza joint last fall, just read a post about a off-duty LEO doing the same while reaching for some change and we all remember Plaxico (though I don't think he had a pocket). Just like a revolver, the pocket guns rely on a long and hard trigger pull as their safety.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    I would not look at the Trigger safety on a Glock as much of a safety.
    I agree. If the gun discharges, it's because the trigger was pulled.

Having the safety disengage by pulling the trigger is no different than no safety. If the trigger is pulled, the gun will fire. Period.

That said, any pocket carry should be in a pocket holster that covers the trigger.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I carry a Smith & Wesson 442 in a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster. The 442 revolver has a shrouded hammer so it is DAO (which is my safety) and the pocket holster covers the trigger guard to avoid accidental discharges.

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

All guns and all manner of carry require you to be carefull. About two weeks ago while carrying my LCP, I reached down and pulled up my pants to make it a little easier to step onto a trailer. When I hiked up my pants I inadvertantly pulled the LCP out of the holster and felt my finger on the trigger. Thanks to the long trigger pull I did not have a ND. Learning occured.

Today while reholstering my 1911 while wearing bibbs, the corner of my bibbs almost got fouled with the trigger. If I had been carrying my Glock it would have been even scarier.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

I carry mine is a "Rough Out" by SGH for my LCP http://www.sideguardholsters.com/hol...t_Holsters.htm Sorry wrong pic thought I deleted it
    Attached Images
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. -- Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    If it helps, think of it as a double-action revolver. It has the same external safety features. In the LCP for example, the hammer is still forward while the round is in the chamber. It doesn't come back until you begin the trigger pull.

Carried in a pocket holster that protects the trigger, you should be able to carry it responsibly.

Agreed. I carried the LCP for a long time, but actually got tired of the long trigger pull. I switched to a Sig P238. I carry it in a pocket holster that covers the trigger and have the manual safety engaged. Since I made the change to a gun with a safety, it's of course important to practice drawing while disengaging the safety.
    It is utterly illogical to believe that passing laws to reduce gun violence will be successful when those who are commiting the gun violence do not obey the law.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links