The first rule: have a gun

This is a discussion on The first rule: have a gun within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; TEMPLE TERRACE - Stan Jackowski stood outside a bank on Fowler Avenue early Tuesday with a pistol pointed at his abdomen and wondered, "What if?" ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Moderator

TEMPLE TERRACE - Stan Jackowski stood outside a bank on Fowler Avenue early Tuesday with a pistol pointed at his abdomen and wondered, "What if?"

What if he had followed his instincts against stopping at the ATM at 2:30 a.m.? What if, instead of trying to reason with the young men who stood before him, he simply had handed over his wallet and the cash he had withdrawn? What if he never again saw his wife of 36 years, Shirley?

Jackowski sat in the living room of his Valrico home Wednesday and pondered an even bigger question: What if the gun had not misfired?

Jackowski holds a concealed weapons permit but was not carrying a firearm because he was on his way to work and his employer does not allow workers to be armed.

http://www.tbo.com/news/metro/MGBW2VH0KPE.html?imw=Y
    The first rule of a gunfight - have a gun.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    The first rule of a gunfight - have a gun.
    +1

and +10 on your avatar Matt.
    Fear No Evil.

Wow! I wonder whether he'll decide to carry to work (and secure it somewhere that's okay with his employer) or just carry all the time and hope he doesn't get caught. I can imagine he's a lot more aware that, yes, it CAN happen to him.

Assistant Administrator
    I am continually angered by all the hoops and hurdles that prevent honest folks from simply being able to carry all day.

It is a ridiculous situation so many find themselves in - having to somehow disarm and then at maybe a critical moment being unarmed when most needed. OK - inside work may - usually - be fine but the time outside of that, until someone can be packing again, is a vulnerable time.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrator
    Ditto Chris
    Said much better than I could have said the very same thing.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    ...OK - inside work may - usually - be fine but the time outside of that, until someone can be packing again, is a vulnerable time.
    That's true of most times though. Schools, for example, are usually thought of as a safe place. People would not send their kids to school otherwise. Columbine High was a "safe" place until those two boys showed up with murder in their hearts and weapons in their hands. No one could stop them because no one else was armed.

The criminal chooses the time and place of the crime, not the law abiding citizen. The best the rest of us can do is see to it that the law abiding may legally arm themselves at all times and thus be prepared to resist.

JD
    Administrator

when the time comes

[/QUOTE]The criminal chooses the time and place of the crime, not the law abiding citizen. The best the rest of us can do is see to it that the law abiding may legally arm themselves at all times and thus be prepared to resist.[/QUOTE]

Quite right, I work field service and spend a lot of time driving through Filthadelphia after hours, thankfully my employer lets me carry.
    I've only had to draw once, and it went no further than that (Attempted robbery by 3 men)

That story just makes me mad. I cant carry at work because I am in other peoples homes all day, plus it could be bad for buisness. I do however carry on the way to work and take it off and lock it up when I get there, put it back on when I leave. I was robbed at gunpoint once a few years back and ever since then I promised that next time it would be different.

This also shows how much you need to practice your draw and point techniques!!! This would have been a once chance shot.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    i think about scenarios like this one every time I'm forced to go unarmed....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar

my second rule

home sleeping at 02:30

EE

Can't carry at work either

I work at Wright Patterson Air Force Base. I not only cannot carry at work, but I can't bring a gun on base, period. This is a pain, but did you ever try to argue with a military bureaucracy?

EE

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis
    home sleeping at 02:30
    Can't argue with that!
    It comes a time in your life when you run across someone you should have never @#$$% with. Allow me to introduce myself!

This story is local for me. I have thought about it quite a bit.

One thing I think about is -- regardless of whether they got the drop on me at the outset, when the punk's gun starts clicking in my general direction, all bets are off and a gunfight would have ensued post haste. How much more justification could you need? This punk just tried to kill you for $60...

As an update -- both were arrested today. 16 and 17 years of age... High school kids.
    DDGator (Duane)
    www.RealWorldCarryGear.com

Looking back on his ordeal, Jackowski said he wishes he had done what police recommend: Just hand over the money.

"I saw them and I thought, 'They don't look so bad.' So, I told them, 'You don't have to do this. Just walk away and let me finish my business,'" he said. "The bigger one said, 'Give it up or I'll shoot you.' Then he lifted up his shirt and the gun was under there. He pointed it at me and pulled the trigger."

When the gun didn't fire, the teenagers began beating Jackowski. He's nursing a bruise where he was kicked in the area of his right kidney as he lay on the ground. His face was bruised and scratched. He was robbed of $60.

"One of the fellas was beating the tar out of me while the other one went through my pockets," he said. "I didn't fight back. I [was] trying not to get them mad."
    Reading the rest of the article, it sounds like the victim didn't have all his mental ducks quite in a row. I don't mean to criticize him, but I think there is a valuable lesson here. He verbally resisted, but then was unwilling to back it up when physically assaulted and went into sheeple mode. I wouldn't expect this of someone who has taken the trouble to ccw, but perhaps he was a bit mentally and physically overreliant on his gun. I have always maintained that you should carry a gun that is reliable, but don't simply rely on your gun. I like options and a kubaton, folder, OC, and various forms of hand-to-hand and weapon training give me options beyond my carry piece, particularily if I am somewhere I can't carry.

All the best,

Joe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links