Are women who carry viewed differently than men who carry?

This is a discussion on Are women who carry viewed differently than men who carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Speak up ladies!!! Just curious here. Are women who carry OC or CC viewed differently than men? Do you get the same comments that us ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Are women who carry viewed differently than men who carry?

Are women who carry viewed differently than men who carry?

Speak up ladies!!!

Just curious here. Are women who carry OC or CC viewed differently than men?

Do you get the same comments that us guys do? i.e. Are you called "gun nuts", "paranoid", "fanatics"? Or are you more well received as being " prepared, empowered, etc?
    Are you treated differently by LE?

Guys, chime in too with your views.

My thought is that women would be better recieved and not as much of a "threat" as a MWAG. (Just a guess, no proof behind my opinion.)

2. Remove Ads

As a guy I don't get treated any different than anyone else because the only people who know I carry is my family, a few coworkers and my banker, the only reason he knows is I needed a second form of identification for a loan that I got a while back
    "Change that you can truly believe in comes from the barrel of a gun"
    WWW.MOLONLABEGUNFORUM.COM

As a guy I don't get treated any different than anyone else because the only people who know I carry is my family, a few coworkers and my banker, the only reason he knows is I needed a second form of identification for a loan that I got a while back
    +1

I CC, so the average Joe durring the day doesn't know. I would assume it would be the same for most who CC. There just isn't the opportunity for strangers to make comments or give strange looks.
    Just curious if the ladies out there have to "justify" themselves like us guys do.

VIP Member
    I only know a very few women who choose to carry (even most female police officers I know don't carry off duty). Of the few women I know who do, only 1 I know OCs on a regular basis. I have never seen her be treated any differently than me. I guess I'll have to ask her about her feeling on the subject.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member
    Good question.

My inner circle of friends and family who know I carry are ok with it on the surface, and interested in the concept. But behind my back I'm almost sure some chaulk it up to midlife crisis or menopausal gun nut or paranoid. And I am totally ok with that.

I haven't had anyone tell me I'm crazy, but my ex-husband thinks I (along with our son) is paranoid for carrying all the time. I ignore his comments. My coworkers who know (2 male, 1 female) don't think worse of me. My best girlfriend is fine with it. My mother (RIP) got used to it after some months.

Fortunately I haven't had an LEO experience while carrying, so I would have to claim ignorance on that.

However, I really think we are looked at as not nearly as dangerous as a man with a gun. Probably comes down to disparities in size and upper-body strength, and maybe comparitable levels of violence and crime rates. And of course, we are traditionally seen as weak and insecure.

Sometimes it's handy to be underestimated. :-)
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

My fiance is going to be purchasing her first handgun Friday, a Kahr CW9. In March she'll be taking a class which will count as the training for her CWP, as well as a college credit hour. Pretty spiffy class if you ask me. I love the idea of her getting her license to carry. What's awesome is that I didn't even have to convince her to, she wanted it before we even met!

Her parents do not like the idea of her carrying. Her dad owns gun, and I think he's OK with her owning one, but he doesn't like the idea of her carrying (or me for that matter. He recently told us no concealed weapons in their house). My parents on the other hand are perfectly cool with both of us carrying. My dad wants a license himself, he just hasn't gotten around to it.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

My ex-wife had a CHP & Concealed Carried. I felt more secure for her safety & having someone else around me carrying. We used to go to the range together. Loved it.
    My current wife, not so much. She is slowly warming up to me packing. VERY slowly. Just the other day, told me she wanted to learn how to handle one, but makes excuses when I bring up teaching her.

Very few of my friends know that I CCW and those that do, also carry or have their CCW. I have a female friend who has her CCW and has had for a year or so but does not carry unless hiking as she doesn't feel comfortable yet in very public places. I cannot speak to LEO experience as I have not been stopped or questioned since I've begun carrying. I think most of my friends/coworkers would feel the same about me carrying as my husband carrying. I would agree with gilraen in that its good to be underestimated! Always carry, never tell!
    "Good decisions come from experience;
    experience comes from bad decisions"

I also agree that it's good to be underestimated. I may look wimpy, but I can shoot you dead as good as any man! But whatever. Doesn't bother me what people think.

Very few people outside of family know that I carry so I have no idea what they would think. One good friend (ex LEO) knows and he's never said anything about it, to my face anyway. I really don't think he talks about me behind my back either. My mom and sister also carry, so of course they think it's the thing to do. My hubby picks on me, lightheartedly though, he's glad that I carry to work - usually he picks on me for carrying "regular" places, like for a Taco Bell run.
    One time a customer told me I should "get some mace or somethin" when I was delivering after dark (and they lived on the bad side of town) I just kinda nodded in agreement, little did she know I was packin a little more than OC. My in-laws know that I carry and a couple of guys at the local sporting goods store (because that's where I took my class) and they all think it's a good idea because of my job. Maybe they would think it was weird if I didn't have such a dangerous job.
    The few LEO interactions while carrying went quite smoothly. Nobody has freaked out on me yet.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

VIP Member
    I don't think you'll find much difference in the way women who carry are treated, compared to men. An anti is going to view both the same way. I carry both ways and to be honest, don't care how someone I don't know feels about it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

kpw
    I don't know if they are veiwed differently but I wish I knew more of them that did. Especially the single ones!
    TrailblzrKym likes this.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Yeah, I think so.

Men who carry are considered neanderthal rednecks while women who carry are considered eccentric but self-possessed and decisive.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by coolfrmn View Post
    Speak up ladies!!!

Just curious here. Are women who carry OC or CC viewed differently than men?

Do you get the same comments that us guys do? i.e. Are you called "gun nuts", "paranoid", "fanatics"? Or are you more well received as being " prepared, empowered, etc?
    Are you treated differently by LE?

Guys, chime in too with your views.

My thought is that women would be better recieved and not as much of a "threat" as a MWAG. (Just a guess, no proof behind my opinion.)
    If you view this from two extremes for example, a 5'0" 110lbs middle aged white women may get a different reaction while oc in public than a 6'5" 250lbs 20 year old black man. Then again, maybe not.
    Luis

"Everybody's got a plan, 'til they get hit".

Mike Tyson

Cool

My wife is one of those " always carry, never tell " girls so she is not treated any differently at all.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links