Indiana carry questions

This is a discussion on Indiana carry questions within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was wondering if maybe the Indiana members here could help me out with something. Long story short I may be relocating there,and was wondering ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Indiana carry questions

Indiana carry questions

I was wondering if maybe the Indiana members here could help me out with something.

Long story short I may be relocating there,and was wondering if I'm eligible for a carry permit there? As some of you here are aware I had some legal issues last year that resulted in my Florida permit being suspended.

Now I was looking over the indiana application and it asks just this question. Would answering yes to it get my application denied? I'm a non felon and my Florida permit was reinstated,also my Florida arrest record was expunged. Will I have any problems getting an Indiana ccw issued?

Also is it true indiana honors all other states permits to carry concealed? If so must I carry only concealed or can I open carry at all? Thanks for any help guys.
    Snub nose revolvers,the original concealed carry guns.

2. Remove Ads

I can only answer one of your questions. Yes, Indiana does honor all other legally issued ccw permits.

VIP Member
    Your permit works for CCW in IN. While OC is allowed in IN on an IN permit, your status under the issuing state and what it says on the license. Given that FL is CC only, you will not be able to OC in IN on your FL permit.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    Your permit works for CCW in IN. While OC is allowed in IN on an IN permit, your status under the issuing state and what it says on the license. Given that FL is CC only, you will not be able to OC in IN on your FL permit.
    What he said. I was just too lazy to type all that....

Ex Member
    In Indiana a felon, or convicted of domestic violence will make you ineligible.

p.s. we also have a LIFETIME permit. I think it's like $120. It WILL take 90 days to get your permit no matter if you have one not or not.

Thanks all for the help and as I said I am not felon,but I did have my Florida license to carry suspended due to an arrest a year ago. I was wondering if this would disqualify me for an IN permit as their permit application asks "have you ever had a license to carry a pistol suspended or revoked".

Thanks all for the help and as I said I am not felon,but I did have my Florida license to carry suspended due to an arrest a year ago. I was wondering if this would disqualify me for an IN permit as their permit application asks "have you ever had a license to carry a pistol suspended or revoked".

I cannot answer your question about whether you'll be eligible for an Indiana LTCH, but I can tell you that without it you CANNOT carry a handgun - either open or concealed - AT ALL if you are an Indiana resident. You can take a handgun from where you buy it to your house or place of business, but you cannot carry it to the range or anywhere else except to get it repaired. If you do move to Indiana, your Florida permit won't allow you to carry outside your home.

Here's a link to the statutes: Indiana Code

IC 35-47-2-21
    Recognition of retail dealers' licenses and licenses to carry handguns issued by other states
    35-47-2-21 Sec. 21. (a) Retail dealers' licenses issued by other states or foreign countries will
    not be recognized in Indiana except for sales at wholesale.
    (b) Licenses to carry handguns, issued by other states or foreign countries, will be recognized
    according to the terms thereof but only while the holders are not residents of Indiana.
    Slow scopes, fast cars.
    'Chance favors the prepared mind' - Louis Pasteur

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    swamp, that is incorrect, you can keep it in your trunk provided it is in a case with ammunition seperate in order to go to the range. Lying on the application will get you denied, go with full disclosure, if everything was like you say expunged, you should have no problem
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Loaded or unloaded, without an LTCH you cannot carry a handgun ANYWHERE except home from buying it or taking it to a repair place. You can transport it from your residence to your place of business, or from one residence to another if you move.

Here are the applicable statutes:

IC 35-47-2-1
    Carrying a handgun without a license or by person convicted of domestic battery
    Sec. 1. (a) Except as provided in subsection (b) and section 2 of this chapter, a person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body, except in the person's dwelling, on the person's property or fixed place of business, without a license issued under this chapter being in the person's possession.
    (b) Unless the person's right to possess a firearm has been restored under IC 35-47-4-7, a person who has been convicted of domestic battery under IC 35-42-2-1.3 may not possess or carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body in the person's dwelling or on the person's property or fixed place of business.

IC 35-47-2-2
    Excepted persons
    Sec. 2. Section 1 of this chapter does not apply to:
    (1) marshals;
    (2) sheriffs;
    (3) the commissioner of the department of correction or persons authorized by him in writing to carry firearms;
    (4) judicial officers;
    (5) law enforcement officers;
    (6) members of the armed forces of the United States or of the national guard or organized reserves while they are on duty;
    (7) regularly enrolled members of any organization duly authorized to purchase or receive such weapons from the United States or from this state who are at or are going to or from their place of assembly or target practice;
    (8) employees of the United States duly authorized to carry handguns;
    (9) employees of express companies when engaged in company business;
    (10) any person engaged in the business of manufacturing, repairing, or dealing in firearms or the agent or representative of any such person having in his possession, using, or carrying a handgun in the usual or ordinary course of that business; or
    (11) any person while carrying a handgun unloaded and in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his dwelling or fixed place of business, or to a place of repair or back to his dwelling or fixed place of business, or in moving from one dwelling or business to another.
    Slow scopes, fast cars.

This part may or may not pertain to you, but it may answer one of your questions.

The superintendent may not deny a license under this section because the information required under this subsection is unavailable at the time the superintendent would otherwise issue a license. The state police department may accept private donations or grants to defray the cost of printing and mailing the information required under this subsection.
    (g) A license to carry a handgun shall not be issued to any person who:
    (1) has been convicted of a felony;
    (2) has had a license to carry a handgun suspended, unless the person's license has been reinstated;
    (3) is under eighteen (18) years of age;
    (4) is under twenty-three (23) years of age if the person has been adjudicated a delinquent child for an act that would be a felony if committed by an adult; or
    (5) has been arrested for a Class A or Class B felony, or any other felony that was committed while armed with a deadly weapon or that involved the use of violence, if a court has found probable cause to believe that the person committed the offense charged.
    In the case of an arrest under subdivision (5), a license to carry a handgun may be issued to a person who has been acquitted of the specific offense charged or if the charges for the specific offense are dismissed. The superintendent shall prescribe all forms to be used in connection with the administration of this chapter.
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

swamp that would be correct except for US code 178.38 Transportation of firearms.

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political
    subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping,
    or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where
    such person may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where such person may lawfully
    possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the
    firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the
    passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a
    compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked
    container other than the glove compartment or console.

Therefore, it is perfectly legal to take a handgun to a range, or hunting as long as you have a license to hunt with a handgun or keep the handgun and ammo seperate in locked containers as perscribed under US code

Also in technecality, a gunshop with a range is considered a place of repair as long as they have a gunsmith on the premises
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

I don't want to be argumentative, but I think that if you are an Indiana resident, Indiana state statutes trump the federal statutes. What you say would certainly be true if an Indiana resident transported a handgun into Ohio or Kentucky or Michigan. I think anyone who IS an Indiana resident should be 100% sure of which one of us is correct before carrying.

I believe you are incorrect. For those who want more information, see this link:

Indiana Concealed Carry Permit Information

Pay particular attention to the section about half way down the webpage that says:

What are the laws for carrying a firearm in an automobile in Indiana>
    You may only carry a handgun in a vehicle with a Indiana hangun permit.

Also check out this INGO (Indiana Gun Owners) forum page:

INGO FORUM INFO

Pay particular attention to the paragraph that says:

Without your LTCH, there is nowhere that you can carry legally. As always, there are a very few, very restrictive exceptions to this rule. However, that said, just in case it hasn't been made clear enough: you can NOT carry from your home to your favorite range (public or private) without your LTCH. The term "carry" encompasses not only on your person in a holster, but also in your car, truck, boat, plane, in a locked container separate from your ammunition.
    Slow scopes, fast cars.

ok, i checked that out and it said that the qualified license allows you to carry to the range, however i was under the impression that the federal interstate transport laws overrode the state laws. my mistake, thank you for posting that link to check out

No problem. I just wanted to make sure that no one had the wrong impression about the LTCH - bottom line, if you're an Indiana resident and you want to take your handgun out of your house, you MUST have an LTCH. Fortunately, without extenuating circumstances the offense is a misdemeanor, but better to be safe than sorry.
    Slow scopes, fast cars.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links