Good LEO Encounter - VDGIF Conservation Officers

Good LEO Encounter - VDGIF Conservation Officers

This is a discussion on Good LEO Encounter - VDGIF Conservation Officers within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For years I have rehearsed in my head how I should respond when stopped. Nothing went as I rehearsed. I was standing at the back ...

Thread: Good LEO Encounter - VDGIF Conservation Officers

VIP Member

Thumbs up Good LEO Encounter - VDGIF Conservation Officers

For years I have rehearsed in my head how I should respond when stopped. Nothing went as I rehearsed.

I was standing at the back of my vehicle uncasing the shotgun having just pulled into one of the areas I like to hunt. It is a remote spot in the George Washington National Forest. No sooner than I put on my safety vest a large Suburban goes by on the road and comes to an abrubt slow skid of a stop. The vehicle backs up and pulls up into the access road where I am now standing. Their windows are tinted and I can't see anything. I am uncertain who is in the vehicle or what they want at this point - just strange behavior.

A VDGIF Conservation Officer exits the passenger side which pretty much puts my mind at ease that I am not in harms way at this point. She asks if I am going to hunt. Before responding, I inform her of the CCW permit and that I am carrying. She says that is fine, may I see your license? I respond yes sir, uh, sorry, yes maam. I'm a bit flustered at this point being the first stop, not to mention she is pretty.

I reach into my front pocket (should have told her that is where my wallet is) - with that her partner moved pretty quickly from the drivers seat to the front corner of the vehicle. Guess I made 'em nervous unintentially.

After checking the license, she asks to see my hunting gun. Once she saw the shotgun and #6 shells, I think she pretty much figured I am not poaching deer and things began to relax. She said the shotgun was a nice one. She checked my permit, asked what I was hunting for, then wished me a good day.

All is well that ends well.

BTW, I wish there were more VDGIF officers in the field. Too often I see violations by thoughtless individuals.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Game wardens are in one of the more hazardous fields of law enforcement. What some people won't do for a lousy deer.

As for the blacked-out windows, I'm against them in any vehicles, gov't or otherwise, for many reasons.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Game wardens are in one of the more hazardous fields of law enforcement. What some people won't do for a lousy deer.

As for the blacked-out windows, I'm against them in any vehicles, gov't or otherwise, for many reasons.
    Amen, on both accounts.

Ctr, glad there was a happy ending to your first LEO encounter.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    Glad it went well for you.

Conservation officers indeed have an extremely dangerous job.
    I would not go out into the field, without a LMT .308 srapped on my back, and 2-3 BUGS.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Links