Holstered gun falls, fires in FL WalMart. Owner arrested and charged

This is a discussion on Holstered gun falls, fires in FL WalMart. Owner arrested and charged within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; http://www.actionnewsjax.com/content...DmQ.cspx?rss=1 JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- A Lake City man faces charges of culpable negligence and improper exhibition of a firearm after his gun discharged inside a ...

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Holstered gun falls, fires in FL WalMart. Owner arrested and charged

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

http://www.actionnewsjax.com/content...DmQ.cspx?rss=1

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- A Lake City man faces charges of culpable negligence and improper exhibition of a firearm after his gun discharged inside a Wal-Mart late Friday.
    OK, it seems to me the LEOs were just a bit over the top with charges against this guy. His holstered gun fell off his pants and D/Ced. Now they charge him with negligence and improper exhibition, and take his gun for evidence. But they can't even find the bullet, so I assume they can't find any damage.

Did he do wrong for not properly securing his holster? Obviously. Is the incident worth being charged, with these particular charges? I don't think so. But I'm not that familiar with FL law.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

I'd say you'd have to charge him............

I doubt he is going to jail.........just probation.
    should be a misdemeanor

It was negligent.

Bad timing for this guy, with what happened last week. I would like to know what kind of gun it was that just went off while holstered...
    Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it ......

Carrying a firearm is a very responsible thing. He is responsible for his lack of safe handling. Makes me wonder "how" it fell off his belt. Was he in the stall taking care of business? I also wonder what kind of gun it was that went off while dropped and inside a holster.

There is no room for negligence while carrying in public. He could have "accidently" killed someone, or seriously injured at the least.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Wow...not many modern firearms would do that. Wonder what it was.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Unless I missed it the article does not say that he had a concealed weapons permit, only that he had a concealed firearm that was in a holster that fell with the firearm discharging. I sure would like to know what type of firearm it was and if infact he grabbed for it as it was falling and got the trigger causing it to fire . Lots of unanswered questions in this short article.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Yea I like to know what He was carrying also ? He should thank the man upstairs that bullet didn't hit anyone
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.” -- Thomas Jefferson

I'd like to know what kinda holster he was using,those one size fits all uncle mikes and other types of holsters do not retain the firearm as well as holsters that are made and form fitted for a specific firearm
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    http://www.actionnewsjax.com/content...DmQ.cspx?rss=1

OK, it seems to me the LEOs were just a bit over the top with charges against this guy. His holstered gun fell off his pants and D/Ced. Now they charge him with negligence and improper exhibition, and take his gun for evidence. But they can't even find the bullet, so I assume they can't find any damage.

Did he do wrong for not properly securing his holster? Obviously. Is the incident worth being charged, with these particular charges? I don't think so. But I'm not that familiar with FL law.
    No one wants responsibility when they carry a gun. It's always the cheapo holsters fault, or gravity is the culprit. I have an el-cheapo handgun that goes bang if it hits the ground, so why hold me responsible.

It is incidents like this in which people get shot in the butt like the 70 year old woman minding her own business in the restaurant we see in another post on the forum just this week. It's incidents like this in which someone can be killed by your stray bullet, yet people think charges are excessive.

I think the charges are more than appropriate. Maybe, next time, if he doesn't lose his permit, he'll think twice about a cheapo clip on holster and spend the bucks on holster he knows will not fall off his friggon pants. That is the height of irresponsibility. You don't get a pass for that.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Probably one of those cheap clip holsters without a hook to prevent it coming off. One in the pipe????
    Member:USCCA, NRA, GOA, WVCDL
    U.S. Navy vet 1955-1959, USS Dashiell DD 659. Glock 19, Ruger LCP, Ruger .357 Mag.
    When you are at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IWLAFART View Post
    Probably one of those cheap clip holsters without a hook to prevent it coming off. One in the pipe????
    You think?

it happens...

A doctor I knew was killed 20 yrs ago while picking up his laundry when another customer dropped a gun out of her purse and it discharged. I see his widow every week at the hospital where she volunteers. We are all responsible, or should be, to carry safely.

How is it handgun manufacturers put their guns through extensive testing in outrageous conditions (multiple drops from 20' at various angles, spins and bounces) to see if their safety features work - and they do, yet the average gun owner manages to drop a holstered weapon 3 feet and it fires?
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    How is it handgun manufacturers put their guns through extensive testing in outrageous conditions (multiple drops from 20' at various angles, spins and bounces) to see if their safety features work - and they do, yet the average gun owner manages to drop a holstered weapon 3 feet and it fires?
    Exactly. My guess is he was "adjusting" it or something, it went off, then he tried to pass the buck and say it fell and discharged.

man do i hate hearing stories like this.....just gives ammunition to the anit's against CCW......

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links