CC44

This is a discussion on CC44 within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone on here CC a .44 magnum revolver or larger? What holster/rig do you use and is it possible to do so discreetly so as ...

Thread: CC44

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar

CC44

Anyone on here CC a .44 magnum revolver or larger? What holster/rig do you use and is it possible to do so discreetly so as to avoid being made by the general public
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

2. Remove Ads

I have carried a 4" N frame concealed. I use a Fist OWB and a good belt I bought locally. Although I typically carry it openly at the gunshop, I have concealed it while running various errands and nobody noticed. I doubt the "general public" even notices I exist, much less if there's something on my belt. Most are just too busy with their own lives to care. I think any big sidearm needs a good quality leather holster, a sturdy gun belt (NOT a Walmart dress belt) and a good cover garment. Something made of quality material that hides the gun well, maybe with a pattern to break up the outline. Maybe a Hawiian or Guyaberra shirt, an open linen shirt over a t shirt, or a CCW type vest.

The holster and speedloader pouch are from Fist-inc (dot) com. My most commonly carried N frame is a 610 in 10mm and two moon clips fit in the same space as one speedloader. If I carry the .44 I add a Tuff Strip to a pocket in addition to the speedloader in the pouch.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

That would seem to be overkill, unless you were loading with .44 special (short). You can conceal any handgun with the right holster, but over penetration would be a huge concern in the larger calibers.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    That would seem to be overkill, unless you were loading with .44 special (short). You can conceal any handgun with the right holster, but over penetration would be a huge concern in the larger calibers.
    My .44 load of choice is the Cor Bon 165gr load they used to call the "Urban Load". It has a Sierra JHP and is more powerful than the medium velocity loads, but less than a full power hunting load. My spare ammo is Gold Dot, if it comes to using the spares I care not one bit about overkill. There are plenty of .44mag loads appropriate for SD use. Federal HS, Winchester Silvertips, Triton Quick Shok, PMC Starfire, Remington's 180gr medium velocity load, and the CCI Short Barrel GD are made for SD use with the .44. It doesn't get cold enough for long enough that I worry about people wearing winter clothes, and no Sumo Wrestlers are mad at me, your situation might be different.

In 10mm I use Double Tap's 135gr in the gun and top moon clip. The last moon clip is Remington's FMJ load with the nickle plated cases. I'd carry Norma 200gr FMJ if I could find any...
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

I'm sure you all are going to call BS, but when I lived in the frigid Commonwealth of Massachusetts, I carried my 10.5" Ruger Super Blackhawk "concealed" a few times.

Usually, this was when coming home from the range, and stopping to get a snack on the way.
    (In MA, you could NOT leave a gun in the car, at all, period!)

I had it in an open-top cowboy holster, and simply draped the belt over my head and shoulder, then put a jacket over it.
    The barrel stuck out about 2-3" below the jacket, but no one at McD's seemed to notice.

This is kinda circumventing your question, but I thought that I'd suggest this holster:

Guide's Choice Holster

although, it not very discreet, unless you're wearing a parka or something I mention it because it just looks like a big revolver ought to live in one
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I kind of like that holster suggestion for the woods zacii, thanks for that tip, I'll be ordering one of those this week. I am planning on using the Hornaday Lever Action rounds for SD, unless someone has a good reason I should not then I will reconsider. Superhouse, could you post a picture of your 10mm revolver, I really like that concept and was wondering what it looks like. Hows it handle and shoot? You now have me thinking I might want one of those.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

I had a buddy that had a custom made model 29 .44 mag with a 2 3/4 barrel. Full house .44s made it into a flamethrower! 3" of fire outta that muzzle when I shot it once at dusk! Definitely concealable and not everyones cup of tea recoil wise, but cool! You could miss the BG and set him on fire with the muzzle blast!

The Duke
    "It's time to nut up or shut up" - Woody Harrelson, "Tallahassee" in "Zombieland"

mine is a 4 inch, i like the set up of that better for carry and shooting than the 2 3/4 inch snubbie, however i would like to have a gun/flamethrower combo

Links