What I've Learned Here About CC

This is a discussion on What I've Learned Here About CC within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here's some rules I have made for myself based on what I have learned from reading/posting here: 1. If you ever draw your weapon in ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Here's some rules I have made for myself based on what I have learned from reading/posting here:

1. If you ever draw your weapon in self defense, whether you shoot or not, the very next thing you do (as the situation permits) is call 911. The next call is to an attorney.

2. Concealed means concealed.

3. A gun is a tool of last resort.

4. A gun is never to be used to end an argument, evict drunks, or "show someone who they're dealing with".

5. A gun should never be used for show-and-tell unless you are at the range, in a private home, or at the gun show/gun shop

6. If you are scared, the gun is the last tool you use, not the first one you consider.

7. Always treat your gun like it's a freaky, dangerous object that tries to shoot people on its own.

8. The less you fiddle with any loaded gun, the safer we all are.

9. If I ever need to fire my weapon, I will NOT give a statement to the police other than I was afraid for my life, and want to be represented by a lawyer.

You may want to revise #9.

It may be a good idea to give an overview of what transpired, without going in to detail, and pointing out evidence and witnesses.

Biker

Lawyer first. Say nothing until you've spoken to a lawyer.

Hey...they're your rules....go for it. Nothing unsafe in what you stated.

IRT #2 - is subject to your state's laws in mode/method of carry, and personal preference. Personally, I like choices in how I carry.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

All sound good to me.

And, although this isn't a "rule" per se, I'd like to add that any story posted here in which the writer says something like, "and then her eyes got real big and she started backing away..." etc., means that the person was wrong. If you do anything with any of your weapons that frightens, shocks, or otherwise causes other persons distress, then you are wrong.

It isn't funny and I'll certainly not be slapping my thigh, laughing along with you. I'll be thinking that you're seriously in need of an attitude adjustment. We carry for personal reasons, and doing so is an awesome responsibility that, thank the heavens, most of us take very seriously.

And yet even though hundreds of thousands, maybe millions of us are licensed to carry and do so safely, as we've seen this past week, it only takes one person misusing a firearm to threaten the rights of everyone else. Nobody should ever be casual, complacent, or cavalier when it comes to firearms and safety.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Great list!!! I've certainly subscribed to the same philosophies, especially since I've been a member here.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    All sound good to me.

And, although this isn't a "rule" per se, I'd like to add that any story posted here in which the writer says something like, "and then her eyes got real big and she started backing away..." etc., means that the person was wrong. If you do anything with any of your weapons that frightens, shocks, or otherwise causes other persons distress, then you are wrong.

It isn't funny and I'll certainly not be slapping my thigh, laughing along with you. I'll be thinking that you're seriously in need of an attitude adjustment. We carry for personal reasons, and doing so is an awesome responsibility that, thank the heavens, most of us take very seriously.

And yet even though hundreds of thousands, maybe millions of us are licensed to carry and do so safely, as we've seen this past week, it only takes one person misusing a firearm to threaten the rights of everyone else. Nobody should ever be casual, complacent, or cavalier when it comes to firearms and safety.

^^^^^^^^^I don't know if I go along with that one^^^^^^^^^^^

Some people, at the mere mention of a firearm, break out in cold sweats and begin babbling incoherently.
    You've done nothing wrong, its just that they have issues and fears of unsubstantiated proportions which should not subject you to shame, or be punished for.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    Here's some rules I have made for myself based on what I have learned from reading/posting here:

1. If you ever draw your weapon in self defense, whether you shoot or not, the very next thing you do (as the situation permits) is call 911. The next call is to an attorney.

4. A gun is never to be used to end an argument, evict drunks, or "show someone who they're dealing with".

5. A gun should never be used for show-and-tell unless you are at the range, in a private home, or at the gun show/gun shop

6. If you are scared, the gun is the last tool you use, not the first one you consider.

7. Always treat your gun like it's a freaky, dangerous object that tries to shoot people on its own.

9. If I ever need to fire my weapon, I will NOT give a statement to the police other than I was afraid for my life, and want to be represented by a lawyer.
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    You may want to revise #9.

It may be a good idea to give an overview of what transpired, without going in to detail, and pointing out evidence and witnesses.

Biker
    #5, if showing, be sure to safely unload first.

#9. I was told this one by a police officer. Only added to this was, "I think I am having chest pains". At which point they are required to send for an ambulance.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbiesdad View Post
    #5, if showing, be sure to safely unload first.

#9. I was told this one by a police officer. Only added to this was, "I think I am having chest pains". At which point they are required to send for an ambulance.
    Wow. Great one! I am adding that to my list. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post

I think you have a grip!
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Some people, at the mere mention of a firearm, break out in cold sweats and begin babbling incoherently.
    Yes. And usually you can tell who they are and it behooves us not to present firearms to them.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    If you do anything with any of your weapons that frightens, shocks, or otherwise causes other persons distress, then you are wrong.
    However, if your mere presence and possession of a firearm "frightens, shocks or otherwise..." then the problem is not yours....it's theirs.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Those all sound like reasonable and prudent rules to me.
    Molon Labe

"5. A gun should never be used for show-and-tell unless you are at the range, in a private home, or at the gun show/gun shop"

Many years ago I went on dive outing from Tampa Bay. The boat owner was a friend of a friend, I'll just call him skipper since I don't remember his name. Were out for several hours. Skipper had more than a few on the back! We dock at his house and go in for a couple more. I see a very nice S&W, and say (some thing to the effect of) "nice looking gun". Skipper grabs the gun off the living room end table saying of this is a ******* good BANG; shoots a hole in his ceiling. So a recommended amendment: Don't invite a show and tell with a drunk stranger. Skipper's wife had a very comical response!
    Last edited by dylistn; January 16th, 2011 at 09:08 PM.
    PT145, CZ52, PM for carry. Lots of others to look at

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbiesdad View Post
    Making false statements to a cop may well be a felony. Check your local laws.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links