Carrying CCW OWB

Carrying CCW OWB

This is a discussion on Carrying CCW OWB within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello I have been carrying both open and CCW for many many years now. However I have a question for those of you that carry ...

View Poll Results: does it make a difference if your OWB holsters covers the entire length of slide?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

36 47.37%
  • no

40 52.63%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Carrying CCW OWB

Hello

I have been carrying both open and CCW for many many years now.

However I have a question for those of you that carry OWB.
    Are you concerned with the holster you use wether or not the holster covers the entire slide or not. I have heard a lot of people lately talking about or worrying about damaging the mussel end of their gun or some one seeing the mussel end and getting excited if it is not completely covered by the holster.

Do you worry or even think about either? Why or why not?

I only carry OWB and prefer holsters that cover the muzzle. It protects the gun from cosmetic damage, like from rubbing on the seatbelt in the car, and protects my pants from being rubbed through as well.
    I unless I'm at home or on the job, I carry concealed, people seeing the muzzle or the holster is not an issue.

I carry a G19 OWB and personally prefer a holster that covers the muzzle. My conceal garment is selected to insure that I don't show the end of my holster unless it's by TOTAL accident. JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

My OWB CC holster is a beltslide and does not cover the muzzle. I don't worry much about it. I bought a G19 partly because it could get a bit banged up carrying it everyday and I would not sweat it. I tend to be tough on gear. On a similar note, I have some marks on the slide because I was carrying my flashlight clipped to my pocket and it rubbed on the exposed slide. So, if that type of thing is an issue for you, get a holster with full coverage. Me, I just changed the way I carry my flashlight.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

VIP Member
    I personally prefer a full holster and just don't like slides or other non-full coverage holsters.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I prefer the muzzle to be fully covered so that there's no chance the gun can get pushed out of the holster from the muzzle end.
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

I prefer full coverage. I want to protect the muzzle of gun. I don't want my gun to get pushed out if I bump it on an armchair. And the front sight can get hung up on the edge of a holster like that.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

Multiple reason I prefer a full coverage hoster. Gun can't be pushed up by the barrel when sitting ect, if cover garment rides up when stretching only a piece of leather will show, better retention, less damage to gun, less chance of getting clothing dirty if oil or gun powder is on the outside gun, gun seems more secure against the body.

Those are the main ones for me. Everyone has their own preferences.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member
    I carry a revolver but have also carried auto-loaders and I always use holsters that cover the muzzle. Since I carry concealed, public perception has never been an issue. Within reason, I also prefer to keep my guns looking nice. For this poll I voted 'no' as it's more of a preference than anything else.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Cool

Full muzzle coverage and sight channel on my carry rigs. No chance of the front sight snagging on the draw.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

VIP Member
    the only holster that will completely cover the slide would be a thumb break model. Personally I don't like a thumb break holster. As to the muzzle end of my gun, I prefer it covered depending on the type of holster.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Yes, it matters. I have a couple of kydex owb holsters that do not cover the entire slides. One is for a 1911, the other came with my XD .40 ultra compact.

I've had two incidents while sitting, something pushed against the muzzle and pushed the pistol up in the holster, past the retention part. One time was sitting in my car and the seat belt base pushed it up before I buckled in, and the other was a small throw pillow in my living room. When using those particular holsters I now check frequently to make sure the pistols are securely locked in place, until I can replace them.
    Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mfcmb View Post
    I prefer the muzzle to be fully covered so that there's no chance the gun can get pushed out of the holster from the muzzle end.
    This. I wouldn't want to risk dislodging the gun from the holster every time I sit.

This probably wouldn't be the case with a shorter gun, but I know that carrying a 5" 1911, I've heard the "thud" of the muzzle meeting chair numerous times.
    Last edited by Xader; January 18th, 2011 at 06:27 PM.

Well this great getting a lot of replies.
    However I must say I am a little surprised, I have been carrying for 35 years or so and the last ten years I carry with an open holster and my guns hang any where from an inch to two inches out the bottom of my holsters. Some holsters I use cover the mussel end. But I have never had a gun push up or get damaged. It's not that I don't disagree with the poll and your opinions i'm just surprised so many are opposed to letting the mussel extend from the holster. Keep the replies and poll going for awhile and see if anything changes as more people log on.

I prefer an OWB holster that covers the entire length of the barrel for 2 reasons,

1 It makes me feel that the barrel is better protected from car seats, chairs, or whatever.
    2 My thought is that with all the cell phones, flash lights, multi tools and the rest that you see on peoples hips these days that if someone sees the end of my holster they are less likely to pay attention to it (probrably thinking is is one of the other items listed) than if they see the end of my gun barrel. People are more likely to wonder what kind of light ect. is that on my belt if they see the end of the barrel than they are to wonder about a leather holster, as they are used to seeing leather on everyones hip now days.

You and I might see a holster on someones hip but most people just see a mag light, multi tool or cell phone. Just my .02 cents worth

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links