Need advice on defense in a truck...

This is a discussion on Need advice on defense in a truck... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; if I am posting this thread in the wrong place then I appologize and understand if it gets moved. My question to the forum members ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on defense in a truck...

Need advice on defense in a truck...

if I am posting this thread in the wrong place then I appologize and understand if it gets moved. My question to the forum members is this, I am about to start a new job as an over the road truck driver. I was planning on carrying a pistol of some sort but then I found out pistols weren't allowed in commercial vehicles then I thought of some kind of defensive spray but don't like the thought of using it in a confined area like the cab of a truck. I will have my ka-bar with me but would like something to keep a little more distance myself and the intruder. What are your thoughts?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Your best options are a Taser Gun or a telescopic expandable baton. I wish that you could carry a firearm.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HARD2KILL View Post
    but then I found out pistols weren't allowed in commercial vehicles
    No "infringement" there. Bureaucrats
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member
    if I am posting this thread in the wrong place then I appologize and understand if it gets moved. My question to the forum members is this, I am about to start a new job as an over the road truck driver. I was planning on carrying a pistol of some sort but then I found out pistols weren't allowed in commercial vehicles then I thought of some kind of defensive spray but don't like the thought of using it in a confined area like the cab of a truck. I will have my ka-bar with me but would like something to keep a little more distance myself and the intruder. What are your thoughts?
    I've heard that many times, but no one can give a written reference on it. Perhaps since you just found it out, you will have a reference to it. Is it a DOT regulation or a company policy?

Other than a gun, I'd still opt for a defensive spray as well as a taser or perhaps a 3/4 inch breaker bar with a socket that fits your lug nuts.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Here is a Class A Driving site and a thread on this subject. The consensus seems to be that there is no federal law prohibiting, but possible other problems.

http://www.classadrivers.com/forum/n...l-vehicle.html
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Granted, I don't truck drive, I'd still want to get a good quality OC spray. More specifically for when out of the truck (eating, fueling up, etc).

Is it UNLAWFUL to carry a firearm , or against company policy? CONCEALED does mean CONCEALED. Unfortunately in the past, I've found myself forced to carry against company policy, my life is worth more than my job. (I'm not advocating breaking of any laws, which is why I ask.)

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Thanks for the advice guys, as far as I have found out it is a federal law (not 100% sure). My dad used to carry while traveling but was forced to stop because of new laws or something like that. However my cousin is a retired sherriffs deputy and he says that the truck counts as your residents so its allowed but yet again I know the company owners very well and if it was legal to carry then they would recommend doing it.

I'm 99.9% sure you're going to find there is no federal law against commercial truck carry. Be advised, you can not legally carry a concealed Taser in your vehicle in NC. I've had students that had CDL and have been carrying concealed handguns without incident.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    I'm 99.9% sure you're going to find there is no federal law against commercial truck carry. Be advised, you can not legally carry a concealed Taser in your vehicle in NC. I've had students that had CDL and have been carrying concealed handguns without incident.
    Thanks, I was really looking into the taser gun idea. Apparently I need to do some additional research before I make any definite decisions. This does make me feel a great deal better about the possibilities.

Thanks for the advice guys, as far as I have found out it is a federal law (not 100% sure). My dad used to carry while traveling but was forced to stop because of new laws or something like that. However my cousin is a retired sherriffs deputy and he says that the truck counts as your residents so its allowed but yet again I know the company owners very well and if it was legal to carry then they would recommend doing it.
    Keep in mind that ALL state laws would apply if you were on the road. That would be the main headache. I have yet to find anything from DOT. I'm a Class A CDL driver too. Typically, it's against most large companies policies. Sounds like you are getting into a mom and pop thing though. That makes a big difference.

A buddy of mine shot 2 meth heads breaking into his truck in a truck stop. Cops patted him on the back.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    An expandable baton, mentioned in one reply, may well cause legal headaches in far more places than a handgun. Anywhere a baton/club/billy/name-your-stick is illegal, an ASP baton or similar will be regulated or illegal, unless the law specifically states otherwise. What may be legal inside the vehicle may be illegal outside the vehicle, with Texas being an example of that. Do your homework first.

Taser darts need to spread a bit to get the central nervous system involved, and BOTH darts need to hit, to complete the circuit from that distance. If one dart hits, the defender can complete the circuit by Taser-to-body contact, which can be a daunting task. One really should seek Taser-specific training.

I've brought up the "Federal Law against firearms in OTR and DOT vehicles" before, and IIRC it falls under the federal firearm interstate transportation regs, as well as the state you are in. IOW there is not a federal law against CDL drivers in commercial vehicles CCing. The only sticky place you might get into is if a port is a federal port (READ - Federal property - NO GUNS PERIOD), not a state port.

INAL, just a DOT inspector for my company, who has tried numerous times to find anything in the State and Federal DOT laws on the matter and found nothing. Now there was iffyness mentioned around HazMat but even then, nothing definite.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

There is NO federal law prohibiting possession of a firearm in a commercial vehicle. Period! That is a myth that has been around for years. Although some companies and driving schools make reference to the federal law in their handbooks, it does not exist. If you run across someone who insists it does exist, ask them to show it to you. There are most definitely company policies against possessing firearms in their trucks, and that is an issue between the driver and company. In addition, gun laws will change from state to state in your travels. It is a good idea to check the gun laws in the various states you intend to pass through before going.
    Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

"Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    There is NO federal law prohibiting possession of a firearm in a commercial vehicle. Period! That is a myth that has been around for years. Although some companies and driving schools make reference to the federal law in their handbooks, it does not exist. If you run across someone who insists it does exist, ask them to show it to you. There are most definitely company policies against possessing firearms in their trucks, and that is an issue between the driver and company. In addition, gun laws will change from state to state in your travels. It is a good idea to check the gun laws in the various states you intend to pass through before going.
    X2 on this statement.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links