Concealed Carry with kids??

This is a discussion on Concealed Carry with kids?? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok my wife asked me about keeping a gun from going off when in a holster while carrying. Basically I have 3 young kids, 5-4-and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Concealed Carry with kids??

Ok my wife asked me about keeping a gun from going off when in a holster while carrying. Basically I have 3 young kids, 5-4-and 2, and they like to hang on me and play.

I know some guns have safetys, like 1911. One question though is what about with a gun like a glock? Since I plan on getting a .357 glock or .45 would I need to worry bout my kids hitting the gun or anything?

Thanks

If the Glock is in a quality holster, it should be impossible to pull the trigger. None of my guns have safeties (Glock 19, Kahr PM9, etc.) and I've never had a problem with my two daughters (3 and 6) hanging all over me.

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    If the Glock is in a quality holster, it should be impossible to pull the trigger. None of my guns have safeties (Glock 19, Kahr PM9, etc.) and I've never had a problem with my two daughters (3 and 6) hanging all over me.
    Ok thanks, thats what I was wondering... I figured a good holster would prevent that, my wife was just worried about it, so I told her I would ask all of you here..:)

VIP Member
    Tell her you'll need a really good custom leather holster.... Then start shopping...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    A good holster is a must. A Glock isn't going to go off by itself, regardless of what some people think. The biggest safety any gun over has is the one between their ears, know your weapons and how the function. And good luck with the .357 SIG round, I've looked ammo is expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    If the Glock is in a quality holster, it should be impossible to pull the trigger
    Just make sure whatever holster you end up with completely covers the trigger.
    If handguns cause crime, mine are deffective - Ted Nugent

DrJ
    "Concealed carry with kids??"

Absolutely. That's WHY I carry most of the time. Quick story - I took my CWP class about a year ago. I'm from SC like you are. Our instructor was a LEO, and he spent a good bit of the class relating some scenarios to point out situational awareness. Before the class, I really didn't plan on carrying very often, just wanted to have the ability to do so when desired. But I had a fairly striking revelation during the class. I started thinking, what if we were out somewhere and I let harm come to my wife or kids that I COULD HAVE prevented, but didn't bother to be armed that particular day. I couldn't live with that. That's why I've been armed 24/7 (as much as legally possible) since.

Gun is always in a holster. No way to get to the trigger unless it's removed. I don't worry about what could happen WITH the gun because I control that - I worry about what could happen WITHOUT it!

I agree with everyone above. As long as you have a high quality holster with a very durable trigger guard then you are fine. I carry a .357 Sig on duty and it is a very good round. Just make sure you can afford the ammo to practice with it. Also a good holster will run you between $50.00-100.00 dollars but well worth it. Be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by DrJ View Post

Absolutely. That's WHY I carry most of the time. Quick story - I took my CWP class about a year ago. I'm from SC like you are. Our instructor was a LEO, and he spent a good bit of the class relating some scenarios to point out situational awareness. Before the class, I really didn't plan on carrying very often, just wanted to have the ability to do so when desired. But I had a fairly striking revelation during the class. I started thinking, what if we were out somewhere and I let harm come to my wife or kids that I COULD HAVE prevented, but didn't bother to be armed that particular day. I couldn't live with that. That's why I've been armed 24/7 (as much as legally possible) since.

Gun is always in a holster. No way to get to the trigger unless it's removed. I don't worry about what could happen WITH the gun because I control that - I worry about what could happen WITHOUT it!
    Thats the reason I will be carrying, because of my wife and kids...:) thanks for the input, I agree with ya bro! BTW where ya from in SC?

I EDC a G23. You need a good well boned kydex or leather holster. Any decent one will cover the trigger fully. Dont be cheap. Expect to spend 75-100 bucks on a good rig. Its a 500 dollar plus gun. I have a 4 yr old and 2 yr old niece, who i rough house with all the time. I carry in a HBE Com III. My niece was here Saturday and we were in the floor romping and playing with an active puppy. It stayed put and was never any danger. Unless you remove the gun from the holster and pull the trigger it will be just fine.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member
    What they said about holsters.

Seriously, I'd be more concerned about bonking them in the head with it. I gave my elbow a bruise the size of Rhode Island two weeks ago. Think I did a direct hit on a blood vessel, it's U-G-L-Y.

High quality leather holster with gun belt. I have young kids that think I'm anything from a set of monkey bars to a trampoline. I like OWB holsters that give great coverage and have an inside thumb break retention strap. Virtually no chance of anything happening. With IWB holsters, I just make sure the weapon is retained even when moving and positioning and the trigger is covered. I wear it around the 3 o'clock position so my elbow gives some coverage.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by cammo girl View Post
    What they said about holsters.

Seriously, I'd be more concerned about bonking them in the head with it. I gave my elbow a bruise the size of Rhode Island two weeks ago. Think I did a direct hit on a blood vessel, it's U-G-L-Y.
    My daughter only ran into mine a couple times before she learned to not run full steam into my right side. She only walked sideways for a day or so. Now she automatically hugs me on the left side without even thinking about it. Based on her SOL scores, I think the bonks in the head must have helped her. She didn't get her smarts from mom and pop, that's for sure. That's the only explanation.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by DrJ View Post

Same here - there are a lot more situations I CANNOT escape from safely if I have my wife and/or 2 kids in tow. I also couldn't live with myself if something happened that I otherwise might have been able to prevent had I been armed.

So far everyone's mentioned the most important point: as long as the trigger guard is covered the gun won't go off. But a close second in importance is that you've got to keep the gun in the holster.

The first part of this is getting a good holster that mounts securely to your belt and that won't let the gun fall out during strenuous activity. But an important second part is making sure that a kid can't pull the gun out of the holster!

One way to do this is to use an inside the waistband (IWB) holster that lets you tuck your shirt in between the holster and the belt. Another is to use a holster with a retention feature (such as a thumb break, or a button like on the Blackhawk Serpa holsters).
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links