SC right to Carry reform bill introduced!

This is a discussion on SC right to Carry reform bill introduced! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by aelancaster Wonder why http://www.scfirearms.org/ hasn't responded to this? They usually take their time and do a thorough review of any proposals. I ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SC right to Carry reform bill introduced!

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aelancaster View Post
    Wonder why http://www.scfirearms.org/ hasn't responded to this?
    They usually take their time and do a thorough review of any proposals. I would not expect anything from them except "under review" for a couple of weeks at least.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    They usually take their time and do a thorough review of any proposals. I would not expect anything from them except "under review" for a couple of weeks at least.
    Thanks. Good to know.

Sounds like it is a good step in the right direction! Best of luck to you guys.
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    This firearms/alcohol business is such legal crap. All any state has to say is:

Consumption of alcohol while carrying fireams in any manner is unlawful.

I guess that's too simple for legislators and legal eagles. Presense of alcohol doesn't mean anything--it's the consumption that gets fools in trouble.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I just wish we could get as many prohibitions on legislators shooting off their mouths as they impose on us for wanting to shoot a gun at a range...
    The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights Reserved

They finally changed ours last year, you can carry anywhere except the Governors mansion, unless it's legally posted with the approved AG sign.... and that it applies only to buildings and no outside areas can be posted.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    This firearms/alcohol business is such legal crap. All any state has to say is:

Consumption of alcohol while carrying fireams in any manner is unlawful.

I guess that's too simple for legislators and legal eagles. Presense of alcohol doesn't mean anything--it's the consumption that gets fools in trouble.
    Many, including me, would disagree with you. In Georgia, among other states, it's perfectly legal to drink while carrying. Fools will get themselves in trouble.

Would be awesome if I could visit my family in SC and have my GA permit honored. Good luck!
    Better to have and to hold, than to leave in the nightstand.....

Has the govenor commented if it would be signed or vetoed if/when presented? WI before its new govenor was 1 vote away from over-ridding the veto on its second attempt to getting a CCW. This would be wonderful to see. Is the state of SC a gun friendly state? Cant say I have been there but would love to visit sometime.
    If Guns kill people then all of mine are defective!
    My idea of gun control is using BOTH hands!

Permits in: ND (resident), CT, UT, FL, AZ & MN
    North Dakota Concealed Carry Instructor
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

3D
    Lookin' good for SC defensive carriers. I hope NC gets the message . . and takes action too.

Does SC have Immunuty from Civil Liability laws if a defensive shooting is determined to be lawfully justifiable?
    "It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end"____Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519

Quote Originally Posted by MaineGlock View Post
    Has the govenor commented if it would be signed or vetoed if/when presented? WI before its new govenor was 1 vote away from over-ridding the veto on its second attempt to getting a CCW. This would be wonderful to see. Is the state of SC a gun friendly state? Cant say I have been there but would love to visit sometime.
    Our govenor has her CWP so I'm sure it will pass. Going to applebees to eat with the family just got a lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by 3D View Post
    Lookin' good for SC defensive carriers. I hope NC gets the message . . and takes action too.

Does SC have Immunuty from Civil Liability laws if a defensive shooting is determined to be lawfully justifiable?
    Only if it's inside your home so far. :(

The biggest hurdle for passage will be in the Legislature.

Governor Haley campaigned that she wanted to help reform CCW laws to make them more user friendly. I hope she walks the walk.

It looks like the language for keeping a firearm in your car might be more restrictive that what we now have. It looks like you have to have a lockable glovebox or console if you don't have a trunk.

Quote Originally Posted by 3D View Post

Yes. SC has it's version of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikhail View Post
    Our govenor has her CWP so I'm sure it will pass. Going to applebees to eat with the family just got a lot better.

Only if it's inside your home so far. :(
    SECTION 16-11-440. Presumption of reasonable fear of imminent peril when using deadly force against another unlawfully entering residence, occupied vehicle or place of business.

(C) A person who is not engaged in an unlawful activity and who is attacked in another place where he has a right to be, including, but not limited to, his place of business, has no duty to retreat and has the right to stand his ground and meet force with force, including deadly force, if he reasonably believes it is necessary to prevent death or great bodily injury to himself or another person or to prevent the commission of a violent crime as defined in Section 16-1-60.

SECTION 16-11-450. Immunity from criminal prosecution and civil actions; law enforcement officer exception; costs.
    (A) A person who uses deadly force as permitted by the provisions of this article or another applicable provision of law is justified in using deadly force and is immune from criminal prosecution and civil action for the use of deadly force, unless the person against whom deadly force was used is a law enforcement officer acting in the performance of his official duties and he identifies himself in accordance with applicable law or the person using deadly force knows or reasonably should have known that the person is a law enforcement officer.
    Last edited by phreddy; January 21st, 2011 at 03:35 PM. Reason: added statutes

Quote Originally Posted by MaineGlock View Post

This one I can answer:) I live in Bamberg, which is Nikki Haley(our new govenors home town), and Me and my father in law are leaders of the SC Tea Party Coalition, which is a group of about 45-50 tea party groups throughout the state.... I have been in constant contact with Nikki personally, and she will sign this bill. If it doesnt make it to her desk, she said she will do something herself to get alot of the CWP laws changed. I have full respect in Haley and believe she is gonna be a awesome govenor for us CWP holders!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links