SC right to Carry reform bill introduced!

This is a discussion on SC right to Carry reform bill introduced! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I really hope this goes through. I was station in Charleston from 1990 to 1994 while in the Navy. We'd love to go back for ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: SC right to Carry reform bill introduced!

I really hope this goes through. I was station in Charleston from 1990 to 1994 while in the Navy. We'd love to go back for a visit and if this passes, that would make it all the more likely that we would come to SC and spend our $$ there. As it is now, it's not likely that we will visit.

Sure would like to see the only neighborhood though. And see what Charleston has done with the old Navy Base.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
    Someone from them was certainly against it last time it came around. It remains to be seen if that remains the situation. But they clearly were vocal against it last time. They won a concession but have failed to really live up to it.

Lets get something done this year!!!! I am excited.
    We need to be more vocal than them. It certainly worked on the elected officials carry bill.

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I really hope this goes through. I was station in Charleston from 1990 to 1994 while in the Navy. We'd love to go back for a visit and if this passes, that would make it all the more likely that we would come to SC and spend our $$ there. As it is now, it's not likely that we will visit.

Sure would like to see the only neighborhood though. And see what Charleston has done with the old Navy Base.
    http://www.navyyardsc.com/
    Kimber Tactical Ultra II, Kahr PM45, Kahr PM9, Kahr P380

Quote Originally Posted by Mr7point62 View Post
    As long as you are not in a place unlawfully, it covers you anywhere in the state, whether it is outside walmart, downtown columbia etc.. Also I believe SC has a law saying you can stand in for someone and protect them and not be charged, as long as they are in immediate danger?
    There's an important caveat though. When you intervene to protect someone else from "death or great bodily injury", you are standing in their shoes and can assume their right to protect themselves.

However, the person defending themselves "must be without fault in bringing on the difficulty" that led to the threat. That's easy to determine when you are acting on your own behalf, but it can be very difficult to determine when acting on behalf of someone else. If you come upon a situation and act in good faith to protect someone - if it turns out that that person contributed to the altercation (ex: before you got there), they would have no immunity when acting in self-defense, so you would not either when you act on their behalf.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Hey CP: Excellent comment. Alter ego is fine IF you can be sure of the situation and in most instances, even though things seems evident, they might not be what you think they are. It is a rule that sounded good when it was put in place but boy is it full of snakes. Best you call 911 and be a good witness. Very difficult to be 100% sure you are doing the right thing if you intercede and actually use your firearm.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links