SC right to Carry reform bill introduced!

This is a discussion on SC right to Carry reform bill introduced! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; South Carolina: Right-to-Carry Reform Bill Introduced in Columbia! Friday, January 14, 2011 The 119th South Carolina General Assembly began its session this week, and on ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

South Carolina: Right-to-Carry Reform Bill Introduced in Columbia!

Friday, January 14, 2011

The 119th South Carolina General Assembly began its session this week, and on Wednesday, Jan. 12, State Representative Mike Pitts (R-14) introduced H. 3292, a comprehensive Right-to-Carry reform bill.

Joining Rep. Pitts as cosponsors are Representatives Dan Cooper (R-10) and Greg Delleney, Jr. (R-43). H. 3292 seeks to reform current law to remove certain restrictions on where one may lawfully carry a concealed firearm, establish that property owners may not set policies or rules that would prohibit the transportation or storage of legally-possessed firearms or ammunition if it is locked, out of sight, within a privately-owned motor vehicle, and create a straight recognition standard for valid permits issued by other states.

We will be giving a more detailed analysis of this legislation, as well as report on other firearm-related bills, in the near future. In the meantime, please take a moment to call your State Representative and urge him or her to cosponsor H. 3292. Their contact information can be found here.
    Looks like this bill is what alot of SC people have been wanting:
    You don't have to have your permit on you to CC. Restaurant carry is in it. Right to have firearms in your vehicle on private/workplace parking lots. All out of state permits must be honored.

Also it looks like it will allow Open Carry:
    Section 16-23-20. It is unlawful for anyone to carry about the person any handgun, whether concealed or not, with the intent to use it unlawfully against another person. The intent to use a handgun unlawfully against another person shall not be inferred from the mere possession, carrying, or concealment of a loaded or unloaded handgun.
    This is great!!!!!

Link to bill itself is:
    http://www.scstatehouse.gov/cgi-bin/...=119&summary=T

Time to start e-mailing and calling, guys! We shouldn't let this opportunity get away from us.
    The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights Reserved

Quote Originally Posted by Retiredonce View Post
    Time to start e-mailing and calling, guys! We shouldn't let this opportunity get away from us.
    Exactly. Please spread the word!

GM
    That sounds very good!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by Koontzy View Post
    Looks like this bill is what alot of SC people have been wanting:
    You don't have to have your permit on you to CC. Restaurant carry is in it. Right to have firearms in your vehicle on private/workplace parking lots. All out of state permits must be honored.

Also it looks like it will allow Open Carry:

This is great!!!!!

Link to bill itself is:
    http://www.scstatehouse.gov/cgi-bin/...=119&summary=T
    Maybe I'll add SC to the places I on my road trip list after all :)

WOW, that would be great. I hope it pass.
    SC-CWP
    AZ-CWP
    I rather be safe then sorry.
    It's better to have it when you need it then need it and dont have it.

Here's hoping it passes, that will put pressure on other states to do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam42 View Post
    Here's hoping it passes, that will put pressure on other states to do the same.
    That would be nice. I'd like to be able to drive from my home in WA to Miami without having to route around the states that don't honor my permits

Wow.

Any one keeping a score board going on the number of pro gun legislation being introduced against anti gun legislation?

I know this is a pro gun site, but it seems to me that there are more pushes for loosening the restrictions going on than adding restrictions since the AZ incident.

AR is pushing, IO just passed one prior, but seems to be holding on, UT, SC, WI...weird.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Koontzy, maybe I am reading the bill incorrectly regarding cc in an establishment serving alcohol, but it seems like it is simply adding penalties if a person does carry into a business that serves/sells alcohol for consumption on the premises...
    Here's the bill text from that section:

http://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/t16c023.htm#16-23-465

SECTION 16-23-465. Additional penalty for unlawfully carrying pistol or firearm onto premises of business selling alcoholic liquors, beers or wines for on-premises consumption.

In addition to the penalties provided for by Sections 16-11-330 and 16-23-460 and by Article 1 of Chapter 23 of Title 16, a person convicted of carrying a pistol or firearm into a business which sells alcoholic liquor, beer, or wine for consumption on the premises is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, must be fined not more than two thousand dollars or imprisoned not more than three years, or both.

In addition to the penalties described above, a person who violates this section while carrying a concealable weapon pursuant to Article 4, Chapter 31, Title 23, must have his concealed weapon permit revoked.

I hope that SC changes these laws and allows cc w/ a permit in places that serve alcohol.

Quote Originally Posted by rubberman View Post
    Koontzy, maybe I am reading the bill incorrectly regarding cc in an establishment serving alcohol, but it seems like it is simply adding penalties if a person does carry into a business that serves/sells alcohol for consumption on the premises...
    Here's the bill text from that section:

http://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/t16c023.htm#16-23-465

SECTION 16-23-465. Additional penalty for unlawfully carrying pistol or firearm onto premises of business selling alcoholic liquors, beers or wines for on-premises consumption.

In addition to the penalties provided for by Sections 16-11-330 and 16-23-460 and by Article 1 of Chapter 23 of Title 16, a person convicted of carrying a pistol or firearm into a business which sells alcoholic liquor, beer, or wine for consumption on the premises is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, must be fined not more than two thousand dollars or imprisoned not more than three years, or both.

In addition to the penalties described above, a person who violates this section while carrying a concealable weapon pursuant to Article 4, Chapter 31, Title 23, must have his concealed weapon permit revoked.

I hope that SC changes these laws and allows cc w/ a permit in places that serve alcohol.
    Rubberman the proposed bill would amend Section 16-23-465 to read:
    "In addition to the penalties provided for by Sections 16-11-620 and 23-31-220, a person is guilty of a misdemeanor, and, upon conviction must be fined not more than two thousand dollars or imprisoned not more than two years, or both, when the person:

(1) carries a firearm into any business which sells alcoholic liquor, beer, or wine for consumption on the premises and which at the time of the offense was clearly and conspicuously posted in accordance with Section 23-31-220;

(2) carries a firearm in any business which sells alcoholic liquor, beer, or wine for consumption on the premises and refuses to leave or to remove the firearm from the premises when asked to do so by a person legally in control of the premises; or

(3) consumes alcohol while carrying a firearm in any business which sells alcoholic liquor, beer, or wine for consumption on the premises."

16-11-620 refers penalties if you refuse to leave private property after being asked to leave. http://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/t16c011.htm#16-11-620

23-31-220 refers to the signage requirements for a sign not allowing concealed carry on the premise. http://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/t23c031.htm#23-31-220

So as long as the establishment is not posted, you don't consume alcohol, and you leave if asked, you will be fine (if this bill becomes law).

Keeping my fingers crossed for my home state. It would be awsome if this passed.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Sounds like a step in the right direction! Time to write some letters.

Looks like it might remove hosptials and doctors' offices from prohibited places, too.
    Last edited by phreddy; January 19th, 2011 at 11:30 AM. Reason: added comment

Never been to SC but a family member just bought a condo on Hilton Head. When I visit I would love to be able to carry while there.

Wonder why http://www.scfirearms.org/ hasn't responded to this?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links