#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
olitics & Prejudices
Crazy tolerance for guns
And for the rhetoric that tells people to aim and reload

By Jack Lessenberry

Published: January 12, 2011
Print Email Twitter Facebook MySpace Stumble Digg
More Destinations

... nothing in our opinion should be taken to cast doubt on longstanding prohibitions on the possession of firearms by felons and the mentally ill, or laws forbidding the carrying of firearms in sensitive places ... or laws imposing conditions and qualifications on the commercial sale of arms. —U.S. Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia, June 2008

She was hardworking, brilliant, attractive and vivacious, about everything you could want in a rising young political star. As a student, she'd won a Fulbright to study in Mexico, and gone on to earn a master's degree in regional planning.

#2 ·
I don't get it.

#4 ·
It was an editorial written in the Detroit Metro Times. I Googled the author's name and a few words from above, and found the original article.

Boomer broke the forum rule against posting entire articles. Doing that is not allowed, so that is why the text was removed by the staff. Just check the Forum Rules at the link at the top of this web page.

You can read the entire editorial by Mr. Lessenberry here on this web page:

http://metrotimes.com/columns/crazy-tolerance-for-guns-1.1088921

#7 ·
Thanks for the link!

It Filled in some of the time line

After years of police attention and issuing death threats and a school expelling him pending pych evaluation, the Pima county Sherriff blames the legislature. I thought his comments were odd at the briefing after the shooting. I now see it as an offensive defense! After years of his department not adding this guy to the FBI database, he blames the legislature!

From this editirial: deliberate misinformation by Jack Lessenberry

"He could buy a gun. So on Nov. 30, he bought a Glock semi-automatic pistol at a place called Sportman's Warehouse in Tucson. Perfectly legal; no questions asked"

"If anyone had looked on the Internet, they would have seen a video of him saying, "You could call me a terrorist." But in our gun-happy society, whoever sold him the gun only had to check his driver's license and credit card"

And he approves of the Sherrif:
"To his credit, Pima County Sheriff Clarence Dupnik said this: "When you look at unbalanced people, how they respond to the vitriol that comes out of certain mouths about tearing down the government. The anger, the bigotry, the hatred that goes on in this country ..." Arizona, he said, has "become the mecca for prejudice and bigotry."

Blame political discourse instead of asking: What could my department have done to see that our gun laws are effective in stopping this well known deranged individual from buying a gun? Should we have reported him to the FBI?

A quote from Stratfor.com
“Sheriff Clarence Dupnik said there had already been law enforcement contacts with Loughner in which “he made threats to kill.”

Read more: Congressional Security and the Tucson Shooting | STRATFOR

http://www.stratfor.com/weekly/20110112-congressional-security-tucson-shooting

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.