Using the restroom and other CCW questions

This is a discussion on Using the restroom and other CCW questions within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Took a concealed class a while back and one thing that wasnt really covered was the following situations: 1. How do you use the restroom ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Took a concealed class a while back and one thing that wasnt really covered was the following situations:

1. How do you use the restroom without possibly showing off under the stall or accidentally dropping pistol (heard many cases of this actually happening).

2. Do you feel safe taking your firearm off and leaving it in the car in places where its prohibited or do you simply not carry the day you have said plans to visit said place?

Would you ever risk carrying at work if they have a no firearms policy for employees? Going to be putting in my CCW stuff tomorrow and am a lil nervous about carrying for obvious certain reasons. Read up on the basics of having a good holster and belt. To me it dont make much sense to carry if you aren't doing it religiously but I figured y'all could offer a little more insight!

Quote Originally Posted by Forscythe87 View Post
    1. How do you use the restroom without possibly showing off under the stall or accidentally dropping pistol (heard many cases of this actually happening).
    The way I handle this is one of 2 ways, drop the pants only to the knees and press outward with my knees to hold them where they are, or flip the boxers over the grip. I also always use the last stall if I can help it, especially if my strong side will be towards the wall.

2. Do you feel safe taking your firearm off and leaving it in the car in places where its prohibited or do you simply not carry the day you have said plans to visit said place?
    I have a safe for under the car seat for times I can't carry in somewhere.

Would you ever risk carrying at work if they have a no firearms policy for employees? Going to be putting in my CCW stuff tomorrow and am a lil nervous about carrying for obvious certain reasons. To me it dont make much sense to carry if you aren't doing it religiously but I figured y'all could offer a little more insight!
    This one depends on your company, the policies and your state. In my example, I live in a right to work state so it is fairly easy to get rid of someone. My last company didn't have a specific policy prohibiting firearms, even though I knew of several people who would have been freaked out if they knew I was carrying. I was comfortable carrying due to no policy in place. That changed just as I was leaving to go to work for my current company.

My current company has a specific policy prohibiting employees from carrying any "weapon". Now I'm in IT so I always have a knife on me, but that is also considered a tool and is ok. I have brought this up before that we are not 30.06 posted, so customers can carry but I can't, moreover bad guys will carry, and I still cant'. It didn't go anywhere, so I dropped it (for now)

As for the being nervous, good. It will keep you focused on your new life. Don't' worry, it will get easier to carry and walk among the sheep.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

VIP Member
    1: Don't drop your drawers to your ankles. Keep them up at your knees.

2: I have a vehicle safe.

3: I have a vehicle safe. When I was hired, I gave my word that I would obey the rules and they promised to pay me! There is NO justification in my mind for ANY dishonesty. I do not believe in situational ethics. Just me.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    1. Knees; but depending on the gun I may take it out and place it in the middle if you catch my meaning. Only do that when I'm worried about a larger top heavy gun floping over and out onto the floor.
    2. I lock mine in the glove box but really need a safe but even then I don't like doing that. For a quick (and rare) run into the post office I put it under my seat; again, really need the safe. Smash and grabs only take a moment.
    3. Carrying at work where prohibited is about risk assessment. What's a greater probability; you get caught and get fired or a shooting breaks out and you end up successfully defending your life. Which is more likely and what are the consequences? Having said that, I agreed to the terms and conditions of my employment an re-affirm my agreement with every check I take. In my book that's nothing less than giving my word that i'll follow their rules. So I don't carry at work. If someone doesn't want to abide by an employer's rules they ought to act with integrity and get another job where they do like the rules. Sorry and I don't want to offend but there are limites to our rights and those limits are related to the rights of others. I do wish I could carry at work and when I change companies I'll be considering that as just one of many criteria.

God Bless
    Gideon

There have been several bathroom threads. A good holster with retention should keep your gun in place, as stated keep it up closer to you to be safe. Don't unholster it and don't play with it! The only thing with a Remora no-clip holster is that it comes off when your pants do, but leave it holstered so you won't ND. If you use one of those don't forget to put your gun back on!

As mentioned, gun safe ;)

Guns may be against company policy, but going home dead is against my policy. It's up to you to weigh the risks about carrying at your job, and of course weigh your personal conscience as others said.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Appreciate the input and advice. Shoulda done a search.... oh well. lol

I never not carry just because I'm going some place where the gun is prohibited. I don't like leaving my gun in the car, but that is what I'm forced to do. I have a COM safe under the seat for such occasions.

The thought of just leaving the gun at home is not an option. Ever!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

1. Tala touched on the need for a good holster with good retention. Perfect your methods at home, a public RR isn't the place you want to find out that your idea doesn't work.

2. I had a gun stolen out of my car, so I'm not quick to leave a gun unattended in a vehicle. But, on occasion I do.

3. Work/office carry? If it's legal, you have to ask yourself, how badly would it hurt to loose this job?
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Put it on the toliet paper dispenser thingy and/or tuck it under an arm. Placeing it in the crotch of your britches works too, but leaving it where it belongs and just 'folding' it into your britches while taking care of your bidness is best.

I never 'feel' safe doing that, but you gotta do what you gotta do. Get a good 'lock box' that attaches to your car seat with a good cable. Thier pretty inexpensive and a 'little' more piece of mind in any case. If I'm gonna be somewhere 'prohibited' for an extended amount I won't carry at all. I carry most of the time and ALL the time when /where legal.

Would you ever risk carrying at work if they have a no firearms policy for employees?
    Maybe.....depends on the workplace and my attitude. I'm DOD (Navy) and I do NOT carry on base. Very illegal.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Those were good questions and some good answers,,,,, on the last although it is not the same from state to state here if there is a policy in place at work and you carry you are breaking the policy (duh) but also breaking the law, the work place is not your property and the legal holders of the property can ban guns.

If you are caught with a cw in a no CCW area at the least here you will have your CCW revoked. So think that one through it would be a shame to loose your CCW and your job on the same day..

I prefer to remove the holstered gun and lay it on the top of the toilet paper dispenser, if that is flat and broad enough. Doing this makes a belt clip or paddle type holster much preferable. The primary concern, then, is not to forget it when you put your drawers back up. I believe DeSantis makes a "dayplanner" looking case for a pistol and magazine. This could be a solution, but the number of opportunities to leave it someplace and forget it (like the RR stall) are too great for someone like me. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    Ease up man... if we never reposted topics, there would be NO new threads. Typically, people's attiitude change over time also.

I either place the gun and IWB clip holster on the TP holder or place it in the crotch of my underwear. I think the crotch is the better of the two, but I've never left it on the TP holder. That would be a nightmare disaster if THAT happened!

Be careful - stay safe!
    Yeah, My old CCW 9 MM is nicknamed "Barkey"
    New CCW LCP is "Elsie"
    and my 12 Ga S x S Coach gun is "Boomer"
    Wife's weapon is "Miss Pearl" (SP101 .357 w/mother of pearl inserts)
    We're old so we can get away with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    The way I handle this is one of 2 ways, drop the pants only to the knees and press outward with my knees to hold them where they are, or flip the boxers over the grip. I also always use the last stall if I can help it, especially if my strong side will be towards the wall. .

This works well for me. If you want you can pull the waist band of your boxers/briefs over the grip of the gun.

I have a safe for under the car seat for times I can't carry in somewhere.
    I got mine from Cabela's its a case with a cable you attach to the seat frame for $30. I used a padlock to attach it to the seat frame. If I want to change vehicles I just unlock the cable.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/large...oductId=730962

This one depends on your company, the policies and your state. In my example, I live in a right to work state so it is fairly easy to get rid of someone. My last company didn't have a specific policy prohibiting firearms, even though I knew of several people who would have been freaked out if they knew I was carrying. I was comfortable carrying due to no policy in place.
    Although my company has no policy in writing, I don't think it would go over to well, so I don't usually carry at work.

As for the being nervous, good. It will keep you focused on your new life. Don't' worry, it will get easier to carry and walk among the sheep.
    Yep, just get out there and practice. If you live in an open carry state don't worry even if someone did make you, there isn't any crime broken, just be more carefull. I used to think everyone would be pointing at what I thought was a noticable bulge under my shirt. Believe me NO ONE notices a thing. Massod Ayoob actually tells a story of being in a state that didn't honour his CCW so he open carried (black gun, black shirt,) no one noticed. People do not stare at other people waistline.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links