At the doctors office

This is a discussion on At the doctors office within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I visit my dermatologist every 6 months for a checkup and today was the day. It is usually a 10 minute conversation but today he ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: At the doctors office

At the doctors office

I visit my dermatologist every 6 months for a checkup and today was the day. It is usually a 10 minute conversation but today he wanted to check my back for stuff I can't see.

I stand up and he pulls up my shirt to my shoulders. What do you know, there is my 1911 in it's SuperTuck for all to see. The nurse who was taking notes paused for a sec but kept on typing on her little laptop. Doc says exactly nothing.

But the best news, no skin cancer!
    9MMare likes this.

2. Remove Ads

That's better than having him check for hernias and grab your Glock in your Thunderwear!
    IWLAFART likes this.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by NCTom View Post
    I visit my dermatologist every 6 months for a checkup and today was the day. It is usually a 10 minute conversation but today he wanted to check my back for stuff I can't see.

I stand up and he pulls up my shirt to my shoulders. What do you know, there is my 1911 in it's SuperTuck for all to see. The nurse who was taking notes paused for a sec but kept on typing on her little laptop. Doc says exactly nothing.

... but the nurse almost got a heart attack
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

A couple of months ago, I went to the doctor and had a similar experience. It was my first time seeing this doctor. When I removed my shirt there was my SIG 220 in my Galco SkyOps at 3:30. She and her nurse seemed surprised and finally she says, "I see you have a gun." I answered, "Yes, I do." She asked, "What do you do for a living?" I answered, "I'm a lawyer." She then asked "Why does a lawyer need a gun?" I responded, "Not everyone likes lawyers. Some dislike them a lot. It pays to be cautious." She thought for a moment and simply said "I see your point." The remainder of the exam went without a hitch.

I was in my Dr office and the nurse wanted to check my waistline and started toward me with the tape measure. I told her that it was probably a good idea if I placed the tape in position. She asked why and I told her that I had a CHP and was carrying and didn't want to freak her out when she discovered the gun. She told me that it wouldn't freak her out and that she was kind of exciting, and that she felt safe knowing that people were prepared for danger. The remainder of the visit went off without a hitch.
    Train like your life depends on it, because it does.

NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by tomtsr View Post
    ....and that she was kind of exciting....
    Freudian slip?
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

Glad there's no skin cancer...
    Been carrying weapons of some sort since I went into the service at 18 and handguns since 23 when I became an LEO. (57 years young now)
    I've always left them secured in my vehicle while I went inside. Have to do the doctor thing often because of Agent Orange exposure from Vietnam and have Type II diabetes. Just never felt the need to carry there.
    Be safe everyone to whatever level you are comfortable with.
    "I'm the God-fearing, Gun-toting, flag waving conservative they warned you about!"
    US Air Force Vietnam Vet, Ex-LEO
    Dan Wesson CBOB .45
    CZ 75D Compact PCR
    Kahr PM9, and a few others.....

I guess so!
    Train like your life depends on it, because it does.

NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by NCTom View Post

Sounds like a great visit! Keep them up!
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

I visit the Dr. reguarly because of type II diabetes and migraines. During my first visit with my new Dr. he did a full physical, well almost, ;-). When I went to remove my shirts, I looked at him and said, "Don't freak out, I',m one of the good guys" He kind of a confused look on his face until I removed my shirt and he saw my 1911. The he just smiled.

Quote Originally Posted by MikePapa1 View Post
    I responded, "Not everyone likes lawyers. Some dislike them a lot. It pays to be cautious.".
    I like this answer. Very crisp and compelling.
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

Last time I went in to see the dermatologist they had to do minor surgery. My body seems to grow little alien beings and one was coming through the flesh on my fore head. I had this surgery with my CC weapon and my boots on! This was the first time I have ever had surgery and did not have a nurse ask me to take my clothes off!!! LOL
    It's not the destination, it's the journey.

I've had similar occurrences. Once I heard the PA give a light and nervous chuckle and another time I had a lady stare at it a bit. I reassured her that her holding the needle was more dangerous than what I was wearing,
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

If you are not willing to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them!

-Paco

The Ol' Duke had to go to the back doctor one time and didn't think to disarm until I was in the exam room. It's a quick followup and the new Nurse Practioner does the exam. She Was manipulating my upper body when her hand ended up on the but of my Glock. She jumped like it was red hot but acted like nothing was wrong for the remainder of the time she was in the room. She just wrote the prescription real fast! I wonder why?

The Duke
    "It's time to nut up or shut up" - Woody Harrelson, "Tallahassee" in "Zombieland"

Doc was using her stethoscope on both my front and back during my checkup, which required me to lift up my shirt. When she got to my back where my XD sits in the Supertuck, I wondered if there would be an issue. No pause and no mention of it. Her demeaner was unchanged before vs. after. I later wondered if I should've warned her.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links