medical marijuana and concealed handgun permit

This is a discussion on medical marijuana and concealed handgun permit within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Came across this article the other day. Thought it was interesting...what do you guys think? Should they have the same rights as us or should ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: medical marijuana and concealed handgun permit

medical marijuana and concealed handgun permit

Came across this article the other day. Thought it was interesting...what do you guys think? Should they have the same rights as us or should they be denied?

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-no...un_permit.html
    It's like killing roaches - you have to kill 'em all, otherwise what's the use?

keep your nose in the wind, and your eyes along the skyline.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Slow computer and bad dial-up hampers my going to links, but my opinion is--under the influence precludes carrying of firearms.

I would not want someone who is drinking to have a gun, nor would I want someone smoking marijuana to have one either. Having said that, drinking itself does not prohibit possession of firearms, nor should use of MJ for medical purposes. There's a time to carry and a time not to. We have to be responsible about it ... and that's where the problems will arise. Some people just aren't.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

RKM
    Instead of denying a person from getting a permit due to drug use, it should specify illegal drug use. Technically alcohol is a drug, and most of us have or do drink alcohol. If you have a medical marijuana card, the drug is now legal, just like alcohol, or any over the counter pain killer. Honestly, I don't see why it's such a big deal. I don't smoke, and I don't drink very often. I think alcohol is a much more dangerous and serious issue than marijuana anyway.

Interesting...

Here in CO, a gun-rights group called RMGO states those with medical marijuana cards cannot get a carry permit, nor can they buy a gun from an FFL. Interesting take.

http://www.rmgo.org/gun-law-faqs/alc...s-prohibitions

Quote Originally Posted by RKM View Post
    Instead of denying a person from getting a permit due to drug use, it should specify illegal drug use. Technically alcohol is a drug, and most of us have or do drink alcohol. If you have a medical marijuana card, the drug is now legal, just like alcohol, or any over the counter pain killer. Honestly, I don't see why it's such a big deal. I don't smoke, and I don't drink very often. I think alcohol is a much more dangerous and serious issue than marijuana anyway.
    I agree with this.
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

^ditto
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

I have no problem with them owning guns or having a permit. But you cannot carry a gun when you are under the influence of anything, legal or illegal. Same goes with driving while under the influence.

There's tons of people taking legal drugs that have warnings about driving or operating machinery. They can't drive or operate machinery at work even though it's legal for them to take these controlled substances.

+1.

I'll just say it.

The only way I've ever seen someone's life get messed up from pot is when they got caught.

Nowhere near the same as alcohol.
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

I gotta agree on this. You have to wonder just how many people are walking around the local mall right now carrying while buzzing on vicodin. Should someone with chronic <no pun intended> back pain and a scrpt for vicodin be excluded as well?
    "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back."
    Captain Malcom Reynolds "Firefly"

Quote Originally Posted by LeftofMars View Post
    Should someone with chronic <no pun intended> back pain and a scrpt for vicodin be excluded as well?
    Yes, they cannot drive or carry a gun while under the influence.

Quote Originally Posted by tessa View Post
    Yes, they cannot drive or carry a gun while under the influence.
    So should they be denied the permit because they have the script or take the drug, or only while they take the drug? If you have a permit and get a script for a narcotic should you turn your permit in to the local police until it's gone? I'm just asking, where would it stop?
    "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back."
    Captain Malcom Reynolds "Firefly"

I have no problem with them owning guns or having a permit. But you cannot carry a gun when you are under the influence of anything, legal or illegal. Same goes with driving while under the influence.

There's tons of people taking legal drugs that have warnings about driving or operating machinery. They can't drive or operate machinery at work even though it's legal for them to take these controlled substances.
    I'm with this sentiment. I think a person should be able to have guns and a permit but not carry a gun WHILE they are buzzed up on Mary Jane, alcohol, prescription drugs, etc. Impaired judgement and motor skills while high on any of those aforementioned items is not a good mix with guns IMO.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    Now, let me start by saying, I don't agree with being under the influence of anything and being in control of a firearm, HOWEVER, I have found, especially here in the retirement capital of the eastern united states, there are few drivers on the road who are currently prescribed drugs that are more impairing than alcohol.

So, everyone who has at least once tried Marjuana, take a moment to ponder, and those who haven't you can follow along too, how able to drive (as an example of higher motorfunction and coordination) are you after consuming 3 beers in an hour (not a terribly far fetched propect). Now, from experience, I can tell you that although there is a level of impairment with marijuana, it is nowhere near that of 3 alcoholic beverages, and though I do not condone, nor wish to interact with in any way, a person under the influence and in posession of a firearm, I would much prefer it be a person who has legally ingested marijuana, than one who has been drinking (which is completely legal to drink in all 50 states).

Sorry, had to rant there a bit, now, go ahead, I've opened my mouth, let the flaming begin.
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

If someone NEEDS a script for 'M' to make chemo therapy bearable...so be it. No different than needing painkillers for surgery, back pain, etc.
    I'm not talking about anyone who runs to a doctor to get a script to have some 'joints' around the house.
    A true medical need should not, IMHO, disallow an individual the right to defend himself/herself any time, any place.
    Obviously, there must be some control of when and where the script is used and mixed with a firearm.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member

If you read the warning labels on the prescriptions, they only warn people not to drive or operate heavy machinery, until they know how they react to the medicine. Whomever you work for doesn't allow it for legal liability reasons.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links