I just throw a J Frame in my pocket

This is a discussion on I just throw a J Frame in my pocket within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; With all of the pistol dropping and NDs in the news lately, pocket carrying is being viewed as something amateurish and "not really carrying." It ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I just throw a J Frame in my pocket

With all of the pistol dropping and NDs in the news lately, pocket carrying is being viewed as something amateurish and "not really carrying." It isn't helped a whole lot by remarks like " When I can't carry a real gun I throw a J Frame in my pocket."

True pocket carry is a legitimate method of concealing a gun. However, it has to be something more than just" throwing the little bugger in my pocket."

I long ago decided to pocket carry because I wanted to remain the "grey man" for defense purpose. At five foot five and 67 years old I am not going to "scare the pants" off the BG and make him turn tail and run by showing him my OCC or nearly OCC supposed to be CCW 1911. I also am around many mild mannered folk who would probably be frightened by any overt show of force by myself. Before the mall ninjas start, I can't avoid these people, I'm related to most of them.

The two photos below show my system of carry and how far I have committed to make this system work.

The first photo shows my hardware. I carry a 642, a quality weapon. I have snap caps in speed strips for "house drills" and a Blue Gun for practice with my son (36 yo) for rushing and weapon retention drills. I shoot 30 rounds in the 317 in .22 LR every week day in a garage bullet trap range. Once a week I fire the 642 in .38 Spcl doing the same drills( one hand low at 7 ', One hand high at 15' and two handed at 25', 10 rounds at each distance all fired very fast) The 642 is stoked with Hornady 125gr XTP/JHPs when in the holster. Holster is a High Noon Pro Grabber (not a cheapie by any means) I find drawing from a leather holster, even in a pocket, is much slicker and faster than the nylon goodies.

The second photo shows my "harness." I have all of my jeans, dress slacks, cords, Dockers and shorts (I only wear cargo or carpenter shorts) modified. A professional seamstress sews a reinforced and extended pocket on the end of my right front pocket. This not only supports the gun and holster better but also takes it down lower on the thigh. This makes it blend into the thigh much better and completely buries the grips. I wear a heavy belt with a good stainless roller buckle and I open the holes in the belt with a Tandy oval die, making the holes bear the weight better. This is all supported by a pair of Perry suspenders.

My 642 doesn't fall out, nor does it get all hung up and little old ladies don't faint from the sight of it, as it can't be seen. It is hidden, yet properly secured and supported.

This is pocket carry.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

This is a testament to proper and well thought through pocket carry. Thanks for posting!!!
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

642 in the pocket, riding in either a Mika or Nemesis, is my EDC and has been for some time. For me, it's the perfect solution. YMMV. Great post to the OP.

Cheers!
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

Well thought out CC...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I have thought about using a system almost exactly like this (minus the suspenders, no offense). I am glad to see that it works out well for you. If you don't mind me asking, what did the pocket modification run you? I am sure comparing it to what some people drop on 3 different holsters it is probably a push.

Very well thought out, there are whole generations who approach every aspect of their life like you described. "Just drop it in a pocket" "A holster is a holster" "I dont need to practice, the bad guy will run away at the sight of my gun". The rest of their life lived like that also...slap happy and lacksadaisical. You sir, are part of a better generation, who feels that "anything worth doing is worth doing right" I unfortunately belong to the former and not the latter but do not subscribe to their beliefs. Thank you for your insightful post.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

GM
    Very nice
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

wjh2657, that is one classy setup. I applaud you.

Quote Originally Posted by RugerMike View Post
    If you don't mind me asking, what did the pocket modification run you?
    RugerMike.....I am not a pocket carry kind of guy (not that I have a problem with pocket carry). I always carry a full size S&W 1911. I can't speak for wjh2657, but I use Men's Wearhouse. Decent business and casual clothing at a reasonable price. They never bat an eye and never charge me extra for tailoring my jacket and/or pants to work around the large frame. I'm sure they would to the same for a pocket carry.

Nice mods/post I just got a couple pair of 5.11 because I'm going threw belt loops on my regular jeans, this is a very well thought out mod you did there. "Patent Pending"
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.Ē -- Thomas Jefferson

This why I love this sight. I will put some of these ideas to work for me.
    Thanks
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Well planned and executed!
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other"
    ~John Adams

Definitely a 6P setup.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

A very nice set-up indeed

It just goes to show that carrying is all about attitude and mind-set, first. Then everything else will fall into place.

I'm a recent convert to pocket carry, and I am of the opinion that it deserves all the attention, proper gear and attitude that should accompany any type of carry.

Well played, sir
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Nicely thought out!

A must read for folks new to CC in my not-so-humble opinion.
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

Beware the man with only one gun, as he probably knows how to use it. (I'm not considering your .22 cal practice weapon.)

I commend you on your system of carry as well as your diligence in daily practice.

I also agree that pocket carry is a legitimate form of carry. It has been done for a couple of centuries now, and will likely continue well into the next couple of centuries.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links