Blackhawk CQC Serpa for CC

This is a discussion on Blackhawk CQC Serpa for CC within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just acquired a XD 40 pistol and while it won't be my primary CC weapon, my Kahr CW40 in an MTAC holster fits that ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Blackhawk CQC Serpa for CC

I just acquired a XD 40 pistol and while it won't be my primary CC weapon, my Kahr CW40 in an MTAC holster fits that bill, I might want to CC it. I have been looking at the Blackhawk Serpa holster as I would like some retention as this will probably be my outdoor weapon and I would hate to lose it if I happen to take a swim while fly fishing or boating. The holster the pistol came with is not very tight on my belt or body and the grip of the weapon tends to push out from my side. Will the Serpa with the belt loop attachment hold tight to my body and not be as lose as the factory holster?

The serpa with either the paddle or belt slide will not hold the weapon close/tight to your body. I wouldn't recommend it for CC but it is a fine holster for OC.
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

I have a Serpa for my G23, and it works quite well.

I don't know how it stacks up to the kydex holster that comes with the XD gear, but it does stick out considerably. It doesn't conceal well without a large cover garment.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

The paddle holds it plenty tight to the body, the trick is finding a good cover garment for it if you're trying to CC, they're great for OC. The belt loop doesn't hold it as tight to the body for me.

Glock Certified Armorer

Will the Serpa with the belt loop attachment hold tight to my body and not be as lose as the factory holster?
    No. I don't consider the Serpa a good concealment holster. It can be used as such with the right cover garment however. I like mine and I use it on occasion.

The SERPA is great for OC....not so much for CC, unless under a jacket or cold weather clothing....unless you don't mind printing..
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

If the serpa gets something in the locking mechanism, the weapon is not coming out, I would pass on the serpa.

I carry either a Glock 30 or 27 in a Serpa every day.
    "An armed society is a polite society." -- Robert A. Heinlein

I can conceal the XD in the holster it came with just fine but with the grip sticking out my shirt rides up a little. I primarily want a good retention holster for outdoor use and was hopping that the Serpa held the pistol tighter to my body in case I want to CC it. I will be using the belt attachment as I have no use for a paddle holster. This is Utah so I don't care if I print a little here and there.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    If the serpa gets something in the locking mechanism, the weapon is not coming out, I would pass on the serpa.
    How likely is that? Doesn't the military and law enforcement use this holster?

Quote Originally Posted by muddy View Post
    How likely is that? Doesn't the military and law enforcement use this holster?
    Military and law enforcement most of the time don't CC. The serpa is a active retention holster system. All systems can fail and brake. As long you don't stand on your head a nice molded IWB or OWB will work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikhail View Post
    Military and law enforcement most of the time don't CC. The serpa is a active retention holster system. All systems can fail and brake. As long you don't stand on your head a nice molded IWB or OWB will work fine.
    yes but when most holsters fail you can get the weapon out of the holster.

the benefits serpa has isn't worth the increased probability of catastrophic failure at the worst time. there are thousands of other holsters out there that dont have the issues the serpa does.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    yes but when most holsters fail you can get the weapon out of the holster.

the benefits serpa has isn't worth the increased probability of catastrophic failure at the worst time. there are thousands of other holsters out there that dont have the issues the serpa does.
    I strongly disagree with this statement. I have never heard of a SERPA having the described failure. I have a SERPA for each of the guns I carry and I have never had a single issue with them. Not one.

I would highly recommend the SERPA for carry. And I find it works just fine for CC. I don't have a problem concealing my G23 in one at all.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chivvalry View Post
    The serpa with either the paddle or belt slide will not hold the weapon close/tight to your body. I wouldn't recommend it for CC but it is a fine holster for OC.
    Yup^^^

Unless you wear a very heavy/large winter coat, you can't CC a full size gun in it.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

The holster that you're looking for is the wilderness safepacker. It carries in plain sight, no one asks any questions about it. There is some padding around the pistol to protect it. A buckle and flap cover the pistol so there is one step to draw the pistol, but a Velcro side makes clearing leather easy. I have one and it works well when your garment won't allow for IWB, or when you want a little more protection and retention.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links