SA/DA question poll

This is a discussion on SA/DA question poll within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Although I don't carry it anymore, my Beretta 9000S in 9mm was/would be carried C&L......

View Poll Results: How do you carry your SA/DA w/ decocker?

Voters
108. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hammer down with safety engaged

12 11.11%
  • Hammer down with safety disengaged

89 82.41%
  • Cocked with safey disengaged

7 6.48%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SA/DA question poll

Although I don't carry it anymore, my Beretta 9000S in 9mm was/would be carried C&L...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

2. Remove Ads

RKM
    I prefer to carry striker fired DAO guns for simplicity and consistency. But if/when I carry my Hk because I'm bored, I carry it +1, decocked, safety off.

Distinguished Member
    Cocked with safety disengaged?!? 3 people voted that this was a good idea, and I got a buddy "LEFTY" who thought so to so that is 4 total people on this planet who things this is a good idea. I call him lefty because he blew his right foot off over Christmas with new newly purchased M9 pistol with cool guy thigh rig and Speer GD 124gr +p ammo. He forgot to decock it before holstering and the strap got caught in the trigger guard while holstering and had a ND which went on a slight angle right though his ankle bone. So far two reconstructive surgeries have not been successful, they are talking about cutting his right foot off.
    "Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!" - Marvin the Martian

Sig Sauer P250 2Sum 9mm, P250c 9mm - Glock 23 - Springfield Armory Loaded .45, XD Service 9mm - Ruger LCP, LCR, Smith & Wesson 638

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    My CZ P-01 and P-06 are both de-cocker models and do not have a manual safety. Both are designed to be carried hammer down. First round fired in double action mode, subsequent shots fired in SA mode.
    My SW99 works just like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    When I carried a S&W 5906 on duty and 6906 off duty it was hammer down, safety disengaged, double action first shot.
    My 4506 was the same and I never thought of the decocker as a safety... when I used it I always did so in one smooth motion, 'down-up"
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Can't really enter an accurate vote. I don't carry it often but my Ruger P90 is DA/SA but has no safety. I keep it chambered with the hammer down in DA.

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    When I carried a S&W 5906 on duty and 6906 off duty it was hammer down, safety disengaged, double action first shot.
    Same here with a 5904. The only time I use the safety is to store it or do off body carry.

Quote Originally Posted by skysoldier29 View Post
    Cocked with safety disengaged?!? 3 people voted that this was a good idea, and I got a buddy "LEFTY" who thought so to so that is 4 total people on this planet who things this is a good idea. I call him lefty because he blew his right foot off over Christmas with new newly purchased M9 pistol with cool guy thigh rig and Speer GD 124gr +p ammo. He forgot to decock it before holstering and the strap got caught in the trigger guard while holstering and had a ND which went on a slight angle right though his ankle bone. So far two reconstructive surgeries have not been successful, they are talking about cutting his right foot off.
    I don't think it's a good idea either, included it because it is an option.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.”
    Jeff Cooper

Someone said the decocker is not a safety... it is and isn't.... on the p64 and others, when the decock lever is in the decock position, it also keeps the hammer from striking the firing pin by blocking the movement of the hammer forward (say if the pistol were dropped on the hammer).

Though the CZ vz82 has a safety which can only be engaged when the hammer is pulled back, it is not a weapon I would carry cocked and locked like a 1911. It has no grip safety, and the ambidextrous safety on the pistol is big enough, I would be concerned about safety disengagement in a hurried draw. I may use the safety when at the range, say, if I want to check my target after firing a few rounds... But other than that, don't use it.
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

I carry a 5906......When holstered, hammer down saftey off. The only time I use the saftey as a saftey is when I unholster for the night to lock it up, and in the am when it goes back into the holster. once its in....saftey off!
    S&W M&P 9C
    RUGER LCP
    S&W 5906
    COLT DET. SPEC.
    S&W 686-6"
    "If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck", Author un-known

Seeing the comments I must add. All my guns w/decocker, S&W 659, IWI Baby Eagle, Beretta PX4 Storm, the decocker is also a safety. Once you push the lever down, it must be pushed back up for the firearm to discharge.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.”
    Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Someone said the decocker is not a safety... it is and isn't.... on the p64 and others, when the decock lever is in the decock position, it also keeps the hammer from striking the firing pin by blocking the movement of the hammer forward (say if the pistol were dropped on the hammer).

Though the CZ vz82 has a safety which can only be engaged when the hammer is pulled back, it is not a weapon I would carry cocked and locked like a 1911. It has no grip safety, and the ambidextrous safety on the pistol is big enough, I would be concerned about safety disengagement in a hurried draw. I may use the safety when at the range, say, if I want to check my target after firing a few rounds... But other than that, don't use it.
    Interesting comments on the CZ82. On another forum, there was a post and link about a guy who shot himself in the privets with a CZ82 carried in a cheap version of the “Smart Carry” or thunderware. He said that he had the safety on and it must have been nudged off. When I read that, I was very skeptical, thinking he just skewed up when he put the gun in the holster. I just went and looked at my CZ82. I think you and he are correct that would be an issue with this model.

"Cocked with the safety off" too scary to think about!
    PT145, CZ52, PM for carry. Lots of others to look at

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post

I have on occasion carried my CZ-82, I load the chamber and carefully lower the hammer and carry in DA mode.
    Richard M Nixon
    Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The trigger pull on the CZ-82 in DA is long and firm, and it's doubtful it would be unintentionally pulled. On the other hand, the SA mode is short, light, and crisp, and with the safety off, it will discharge wlith minimal effort, whether intentionally or not. Great firearm, but I'd be hesitant to rely on the safety when cocked.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skysoldier29 View Post
    I now carry a revolver for days like that, and other days' too. When I realized my coordination was slipping with age, I decided to hang up the old .45 and revert back to my roots.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links