Boise Police : Bad form.

This is a discussion on Boise Police : Bad form. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My son relayed this story to me about his encounter with Boise PD. He was drving down I-84 and passes two motorcycle cops who are ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boise Police : Bad form.

My son relayed this story to me about his encounter with Boise PD. He was drving down I-84 and passes two motorcycle cops who are parked watching traffic. One officer comes up behind hind him and gives him the lights and he pulls over. His front license plate was on the dash not the front bumper. Cop arrives at window and asks for license, registration. So, with hand on wheel says ok but you need to know I have a weapon on board, and I have a CCW. The cops eyes got really big. ( son is about 120 lbs, military haircut ) Then a really really long silence. The cop obviously did not know what to do. Cop finally says where is it? Answers right hip. Cop; why do you have a weapon, does your job require it? Nope I just carry a weapon. Cop; well you better get out of the truck. Son walks to the front of his truck and places his hands on the push bar while cop fumbles around for his gun. Cop can't find it! Cop; where is it again? Right hip but higher. Cop finally finds his 9 mm removes it walks back towards his bike, dumps the magazine, racks the slide and locks it open, places extra round back in magazine. Writes my son a $60.00 ticket hands him back his gun and magazine and asks him not to reload until he is gone. Cop never asked for concealed permit. I expect better from one of the largest police departments in Idaho. Boise Police, i'm dissapointed with your lack of knowledge and professionalism.
    In a gun fight, you can not miss fast enough, to catch up.

agreed bad form. Also tell your son to top off his mags, hes wasting space for +1 extra round by not topping off

It's a $60 fine to have your front LP in the front window? Harsh!

But to call the officer out for lack of knowledge and professionalism sounds a bit over the top, based on the story you just told. To me it didn't sound like the stop went bad at all. Maybe he didn't ask to see the permit due to in Idaho, once they pull up info on your DL, they know about your CWP.

yeah thats pretty terrible sounding to me

but think on the bright side here, he could have drawn down on your son, and introduced him to pavement/hood, etc.

Doesn't seem that bad to me. Maybe the long silence was for the LEO to think about the best way to handle the situation. Seems like officer handled the situaution and kept everyone safe. Weighing 120 lbs doesn't really come into play. Tell your son to mount his front plate properly. Might avoid getting pulled over. Could save some $$$$.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Biggie313 View Post
    agreed bad form. Also tell your son to top off his mags, hes wasting space for +1 extra round by not topping off
    Human Beings understand Reason, Compassion, and Dignity

Predators understand Strength

I dunno... that doesn't sound too bad. Other than not topping off his mag.
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

Quote Originally Posted by Timezoneguy View Post
    His front license plate was on the dash not the front bumper.
    Why not just get your kid a bumpersticker that says: "LEOs : Please Pull Me Over."

If you don't want to get jacked up by every Barney Fife you pass, drop the rugged individualist look and blend in. Check all your lights once a month. Wear your seatbelt. Don't do look-at-me mods to your vehicles. Turn your stereo down.

Makes life simpler.

That sounds about average.
    Idaho CCW has the same number as DL, but the officer may not have run his DL.
    A CCW is not required in a vehicle if outside the limits or confines of a city.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Distinguished Member
    I think it seems unfair to LE that a silence is interpreted as he did not know what to do.

ntg
    Guantes summed it up...
    M&P Shield9; RIA 1911 Tactical 9mm;...many long guns

VIP Member
    Personally, I'd go to traffic court and provide reasonable cause for the plate not being mounted, and see if the court will suspend the fine. If no school or work is missed, it's worth a shot.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

could've been alot worse......

Quote Originally Posted by Timezoneguy View Post
    I expect better from one of the largest police departments in Idaho. Boise Police, i'm dissapointed with your lack of knowledge and professionalism.
    Was the entire police department there, or just one officer? Each individual officer may do whatever he/she feels is necessary to protect themselves, within the law. Did the officer break any code or law?

Could there be any chance your son may have embellished a bit? "Honest dad, there I was driving down the freeway, minding my own business...." Then later you find out from a different perspective, it really didn't happen that way. I've seen that too many times in my career to even begin to count.

Or, it could be that the officer was a jerk who didn't know what he was doing, but please don't bash the entire department based on the actions of one.
    Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

Doesn't sound bad to me. Sounds like the LEO was caught a bit off guard, but he didn't overreact. No tasers or unnecessary force. He didn't tear the whole gun apart or even take all rounds out of the magazine. If he felt he had to take the gun at all, that seems about the best method you could hope for.

I certainly wouldn't complain that he didn't ask to see a license. Ideally a license wouldn't even be necessary.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links