What permits do I need to eliminate the red on handgunlaw.us ?

This is a discussion on What permits do I need to eliminate the red on handgunlaw.us ? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by mandalitten MA is pretty easy is you already have your home state permit. You can apply by mail, but part of the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What permits do I need to eliminate the red on handgunlaw.us ?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mandalitten View Post
    MA is pretty easy is you already have your home state permit. You can apply by mail, but part of the process is an in person interview. The permit is also $100, and only valid for one year for non residents.
    RI is also not that bad, at least if you have a NYS permit. We just got a new AG though and I haven't heard how his standard will be. You could also apply to one of the local chiefs for a permit (who are Shall Issue). I do not know anyone who has gotten a non resident permit from a police chief or of any case law on it, so it might be difficult.
    You should also come up with a good reason why you need/want the permit.
    If you are simply traveling through a state, you probably do not need a permit for every state as most states let you pass thorugh if you firearm is unloaded and secure. However, you need to check the laws in the state you travel through.
    I think the issue here is he would like to be able to CARRY the LOADED gun while traveling through the state. Is that really too much to ask of these states? I don't think so.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

If you want the coverage in FL, then you'll have to get FL.

Otherwise, I'd recommend Arizona. You can use your NY permit for the required training...it gives you ALMOST the same reciprocity as FL...and it about 1/2 the cost for the initial and about 1/3 the cost for renewals.

Distinguished Member
    MA is pretty easy is you already have your home state permit. You can apply by mail, but part of the process is an in person interview. The permit is also $100, and only valid for one year for non residents.
    RI is also not that bad, at least if you have a NYS permit. We just got a new AG though and I haven't heard how his standard will be. You could also apply to one of the local chiefs for a permit (who are Shall Issue). I do not know anyone who has gotten a non resident permit from a police chief or of any case law on it, so it might be difficult.
    You should also come up with a good reason why you need/want the permit.
    If you are simply traveling through a state, you probably do not need a permit for every state as most states let you pass thorugh if you firearm is unloaded and secure. However, you need to check the laws in the state you travel through.

I didn't think MA would give you a CCW w/o a good reason and would normally issue a target/hunting license. Maybe I've been misinformed. You are correct about RI, I was going on old info, maybe the new AG is better. I'm eventually going to hit up the Chief in my hometown where my parents are to see if he'll give me one. I grew up there and am trustee of the estate. When I travel there it's late night/early morning and I'd like to be able to carry door to door non stop.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

I am frequently reminded of the ridiculous hodgepodge of laws that create the veritable minefield just waiting to blow to hell a law abiding citizen's legal status and right to carry for the rest of his life. One little slip up and you are staring at a felony that will strip you of your 2A rights. Every single time I plan a motorcycle trip I have to carefully map out a course that will prevent me from going to jail due to the whim of a particular state. They honor my damned driver's license and should be forced to honor my carry license.

Very frustrating.
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    It would be a lot easier to gas up and drive non-stop thru the states your permit doesn't cover.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    It would be a lot easier to gas up and drive non-stop thru the states your permit doesn't cover.
    Yes it would until you get pulled for that burnt tail light, that you made sure was working before your trip, and get asked the question then.............................................. ..................click click, watch your head sir.

A while ago a saw an interactive map where you could pick the start and end state you would travel through, and I think it let you pick the state permits you had. It would then map a route where you could travel to legally carry. I don't remember where this is, can someone else help me out?

Thanks guys - this is the type of info that it'd take someone like me forever to figure out. Keep the good info comin. So...the MA has a non res, but it's 100 /year ? That seems a bit steep. But it seems I'm spending more and more time there. It went from once every 3-5 yrs to annually..and longer stays.

I assume non residents need a "MA Legal" gun?

Quote Originally Posted by fastk9dad View Post
    I didn't think MA would give you a CCW w/o a good reason and would normally issue a target/hunting license. Maybe I've been misinformed. You are correct about RI, I was going on old info, maybe the new AG is better. I'm eventually going to hit up the Chief in my hometown where my parents are to see if he'll give me one. I grew up there and am trustee of the estate. When I travel there it's late night/early morning and I'd like to be able to carry door to door non stop.
    If you have your home state permit, they will usually give you a permit without a restriction. However, if you have a restriction on your permit, they will put that restriction on the MA permit. A lot of RI permits have Work Purpose Only, or Target Range, and they get that restriction. It's too bad the AG puts restrictions on the permits in RI since they have no legality.
    MA residents are a different story, and it depends a lot on where you live, unfortunately. Some chiefs hand out permits like they were candy, while others don't give them out at all...
    I think I have seen your name on another thread, but I don't remember what town you plan on visiting in RI... Drop me an email/message if you need help/info on RI permits.

Distinguished Member
    A while ago a saw an interactive map where you could pick the start and end state you would travel through, and I think it let you pick the state permits you had. It would then map a route where you could travel to legally carry. I don't remember where this is, can someone else help me out?
    I think this is it: http://apps.carryconcealed.net/packngo/

If you have your home state permit, they will usually give you a permit without a restriction. However, if you have a restriction on your permit, they will put that restriction on the MA permit. A lot of RI permits have Work Purpose Only, or Target Range, and they get that restriction. It's too bad the AG puts restrictions on the permits in RI since they have no legality.
    MA residents are a different story, and it depends a lot on where you live, unfortunately. Some chiefs hand out permits like they were candy, while others don't give them out at all...
    I think I have seen your name on another thread, but I don't remember what town you plan on visiting in RI... Drop me an email/message if you need help/info on RI permits.
    Yeah, we talked about RI in another thread. I've got some other things going on right now but when thats over with I'll tackle RI and will reach out for help.

Thanks for the MA info I didn't realize they would use your home state as a base. My NY is restricted but my FL, CT and PA are not and I'm sure MA wouldn't care about those.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar
    chivvalry, I wish everyone honored every ones like drivers license also and I would be able to really retire. The laws are different in every state. With the way we move around now it is very difficult to keep up with everything.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

Quote Originally Posted by sentioch View Post
    FL non-resident has the best coverage, though the renewal fee isn't cheap. Utah non-resident coverage is almost as good (couple states short), but the conditions are better (you're not on public record like in FL), faster turnaround, etc. I'm in the process of applying for the Utah non-resident...$60 training course, $60 signup fee, and $10 every five years after that. Unbeatable!

Read this page
    http://www.gunshopfinder.com/articles/ccwpermits.html

I hope that new SC law goes through...then it would also be covered under the FL/Utah non-resident!
    Don't know what you mean...FL concealed carry law specifically says that the names of permit holders are not to be made public except by court order as part of an investigation.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

Florida list permit holders in certain categories.
    http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/access/individual.html

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    If you want the coverage in FL, then you'll have to get FL.

Otherwise, I'd recommend Arizona. You can use your NY permit for the required training...it gives you ALMOST the same reciprocity as FL...and it about 1/2 the cost for the initial and about 1/3 the cost for renewals.
    I don't know if it has been mentioned here, but FL does not accept any non resident permits except their own issued non-res permit. So if you don't live in AZ and got a non res AZ permit it will not be honored in FL.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links