What permits do I need to eliminate the red on handgunlaw.us ? - Page 3

What permits do I need to eliminate the red on handgunlaw.us ?

This is a discussion on What permits do I need to eliminate the red on handgunlaw.us ? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by tommyp I have my NYS carry permit (target and hunting restricted from lovely erie county), and I just applied for my PA ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyp View Post
    I have my NYS carry permit (target and hunting restricted from lovely erie county), and I just applied for my PA non resident permit.

So is there a way to cover the remaining states on the cheap, without visiting them? I'm specifically interested in the eastern seaboard, and Ohio. I like visiting Ma, and it'd be cool to be able to drive to FL in a straight line w/out having to be careful what states I hop if needed.

I'd search handgunlaw.us, but it'd take me forever to figure out the hodgepodge / states w/non resident permits to get the answer. Hoping someone here could help me out.
    Theoretically, you could get all permits necessary for those trips. You can get FL by mail, that'll cover PA,VA,NC,GA, and FL of course. NJ and MD don't require residency, but you'll have to prove you "need" to carry. SC is also a problem, unless you own property then you can't carry there(since you don't reside in a reciprocal state).
    If I were you I'd transport my weapons in the trunk according to Federal regulations, and just make sure that your destination or stopping points are states you can legally carry in. Too difficult and expensive to try to get all of the northeastern state permits, especially the ones that don't issue by mail.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

I have a Virginia resident permit and a New Hampshire Non-resident permit. That covers most of the south and anywhere that I want to go.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by sentioch View Post
    FL non-resident has the best coverage, though the renewal fee isn't cheap. Utah non-resident coverage is almost as good (couple states short), but the conditions are better (you're not on public record like in FL), faster turnaround, etc. I'm in the process of applying for the Utah non-resident...$60 training course, $60 signup fee, and $10 every five years after that. Unbeatable!

Read this page
    http://www.gunshopfinder.com/articles/ccwpermits.html

I hope that new SC law goes through...then it would also be covered under the FL/Utah non-resident!
    Florida CWFL records are exempt from public disclosure.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab
    If you want the coverage in FL, then you'll have to get FL.

Otherwise, I'd recommend Arizona. You can use your NY permit for the required training...it gives you ALMOST the same reciprocity as FL...and it about 1/2 the cost for the initial and about 1/3 the cost for renewals.
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy3rd View Post
    I don't know if it has been mentioned here, but FL does not accept any non resident permits except their own issued non-res permit. So if you don't live in AZ and got a non res AZ permit it will not be honored in FL.
    that's what i was saying in my first line....maybe it wasn't so clear.

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    that's what i was saying in my first line....maybe it wasn't so clear.
    Not that it wasn't clear. i didn't read through the whole thread that's why I didn't know if it had been mentioned or not.

utah and Florida CCW in Buffalo

We provide training in Western New York for Utah and Florida carry permits. We usually recommend the Utah permit to students unless you are traveling to states that are only covered by Florida. If you wish to travel to Florida then a Florida permit is more then affordable. If you only wish to travel to states such as Pennsylvania and Ohio then the Utah is a great option. Most people will obtain both just to have the most coverage possible.
    Firearms Training of Western New York
    http://www.ftwny.com
    716-903-2558

Quote Originally Posted by tommyp View Post
    I have my NYS carry permit (target and hunting restricted from lovely erie county), and I just applied for my PA non resident permit.

So is there a way to cover the remaining states on the cheap, without visiting them? I'm specifically interested in the eastern seaboard, and Ohio. I like visiting Ma, and it'd be cool to be able to drive to FL in a straight line w/out having to be careful what states I hop if needed.

I'd search handgunlaw.us, but it'd take me forever to figure out the hodgepodge / states w/non resident permits to get the answer. Hoping someone here could help me out.
    I have a NY concealed carry permit and my non resident permits from Florida and Utah. Those two give me 30 some more states to carry in. You can check online to see which ones. They give me PA and OH that you were interested in. I did them both through the mail.

Quote Originally Posted by FTWNY View Post
    We provide training in Western New York for Utah and Florida carry permits. We usually recommend the Utah permit to students unless you are traveling to states that are only covered by Florida. If you wish to travel to Florida then a Florida permit is more then affordable. If you only wish to travel to states such as Pennsylvania and Ohio then the Utah is a great option. Most people will obtain both just to have the most coverage possible.
    What they said!

Quote Originally Posted by ncsteveh View Post
    Yes it would until you get pulled for that burnt tail light, that you made sure was working before your trip, and get asked the question then.............................................. ..................click click, watch your head sir.
    No state can prohibit you from driving through if it is secure, unloaded and not acessable. For example, locked in the trunk unloaded. Not even DC, NYC, or IL. It's federal law. It was challenged in NYC a while back by a nurse that was re-routed to NYC on a flight originally bound for Clevland. Port Authority arrested her at the terminal because the airline alerted them. She finally won and all that travel to NYC are advised to keep a copy of the US DOT letter with them.

Has anyone ever obtained a MD or NJ non-res that wasn't rich and famous? When I lived in MD (1984-1989) they were crazy anti-gun and issued very very few and only time restricted permits.

It's late and I'm tired, so forgive me if I seem even dumber than usual -
    The original post brings up some questions I never considered...
    I have an unrestricted carry permit in Orange County NY (VERY surprised they restricted you in Erie) This is the permit you need to carry loaded and concealed on your person. I do not believe a restricted permit allows you to load it up, put it in a holster and drive to the range. As such, I didn't think you could obtain a concealed carry permit in any other state until the restrictions were removed from your NYS permit, making it a true CCW.
    In other words, I assumed another state would want you to have an unrestricted permit in your own state before they'd issue a non-resident one for theirs.
    Any thoughts, gentlemen...?
    "I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you ---- with me, I'll kill you all."

Marine Corps General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders

All NY pistol permits issued in the state of NY are concealed carry permits. Some county's allow judges to put administrative restrictions on your permit (such as Erie County). They are still concealed carry permits though. You are not breaking the law by carrying concealed on a hunting/target only permit but you may have your permit revoked if you are caught and the issuing judge finds out you disobeyed him. We are not in any way recommending that you carry against your restrictions! Also NY and FL permits can be obtained without a NY permit. Most of our students take all 3 classes from us on the same day. You can then submit for all three permits and receive your Utah in less then 60 days and your Florida in less then 90 days and your NY in anywhere from 3 to 16 months depending on your county. As of May 11th some states residents will be required to have their home states pistol permit before a Utah permit. This will not be required by NY residents though and we can still obtain a Utah without a NY permit.
    Firearms Training of Western New York
    http://www.ftwny.com
    716-903-2558

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links