What permits do I need to eliminate the red on handgunlaw.us ?

This is a discussion on What permits do I need to eliminate the red on handgunlaw.us ? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have my NYS carry permit (target and hunting restricted from lovely erie county), and I just applied for my PA non resident permit. So ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I have my NYS carry permit (target and hunting restricted from lovely erie county), and I just applied for my PA non resident permit.

So is there a way to cover the remaining states on the cheap, without visiting them? I'm specifically interested in the eastern seaboard, and Ohio. I like visiting Ma, and it'd be cool to be able to drive to FL in a straight line w/out having to be careful what states I hop if needed.

I'd search handgunlaw.us, but it'd take me forever to figure out the hodgepodge / states w/non resident permits to get the answer. Hoping someone here could help me out.

Distinguished Member
    You'll need to get most of the northeastern states individually, and you have no chance of getting NJ (no non-res permits and don't honor anyone) so your straight drive is out of the question. FL will give you 30+ states (most of what you'll drive through and many the same as PA), CT, ME and NH are all doable. MA and RI probably won't happen. You might also have an issue with SC since they don't honor NY, don't have non-res permit and won't honor other permits unless you are a resident of that state.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

Well I'll tell you right now, good luck with MD, NJ, and RI. It would be easier for you to become a sworn LEO and carry under LEOSA than try to navigate those states permiting processes.

Fastdad - i understand fl has a non res - but no mail in program (such as the one being removed in pa) correct? Parts of jersey that I'd end up in (near nyc if i visit) are sketchy. bummer to hear that. thoughts on oh, and insight into ma?

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyp View Post
    Fastdad - i understand fl has a non res - but no mail in program (such as the one being removed in pa) correct? Parts of jersey that I'd end up in (near nyc if i visit) are sketchy. bummer to hear that. thoughts on oh, and insight into ma?
    Also, FL non-res is not honored in all 30, the resident permit is.
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

You can get a Utah non-resident license if you take a course from a Utah-certified instructor, many of whom are scattered across the country. It will give you coverage in many states, albeit not Florida.
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyp View Post
    No, they have a mail in program. Go here: http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/FOR...equest790.html request your app, print card and pamphlets. They mail it all to you, you get your prints taken, photos and mail it all back in with a copy of a firearms safety class cert.

It would be easier, to move.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ncsteveh View Post
    Well I'll tell you right now, good luck with MD, NJ, and RI. It would be easier for you to become a sworn LEO and carry under LEOSA than try to navigate those states permiting processes.
    This was my first thought as well. It really is the ONLY way to be legal in all 50.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Just a note on SC. While they will not honor your permit you can have it loaded in a glovebox or console and perfectly legal to carry to your hotel room and keep loaded there.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SCfromNY View Post
    Just a note on SC. While they will not honor your permit you can have it loaded in a glovebox or console and perfectly legal to carry to your hotel room and keep loaded there.
    Good to know. My parents have property down there and I was wondering what I was going to do if I ever went to visit.

FL non-resident has the best coverage, though the renewal fee isn't cheap. Utah non-resident coverage is almost as good (couple states short), but the conditions are better (you're not on public record like in FL), faster turnaround, etc. I'm in the process of applying for the Utah non-resident...$60 training course, $60 signup fee, and $10 every five years after that. Unbeatable!

Read this page
    http://www.gunshopfinder.com/articles/ccwpermits.html

I hope that new SC law goes through...then it would also be covered under the FL/Utah non-resident!
    "In a world of compromise, some don't." -HK

The best source that I know of for this kind of information is:
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/
    and here:
    http://www.mcrgo.org/mcrgo/d_ccwrec.asp
    Last edited by dV8r; January 26th, 2011 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Add info.
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar
    If you have been in the military and have a DD214. If you have a Hunter Education Card or any NRA Firearms Class you can get a FL permit/license by mail. If you already have them then the FL permit/license will be about the same costs as the Utah Permit /license as you have to have a class from a Utah Certified Instructor and most likely that class will cost you $50 or more.

You can get a Maine, NH, CT by mail. Go to www.handgunlaw.us and click on Non-Resident Permits" in the left column. There you will find information on obtaining all those states permit/licenses. They can all be obtained by mail. Hope this helps.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

Quote Originally Posted by fastk9dad View Post
    MA and RI probably won't happen.
    MA is pretty easy is you already have your home state permit. You can apply by mail, but part of the process is an in person interview. The permit is also $100, and only valid for one year for non residents.
    RI is also not that bad, at least if you have a NYS permit. We just got a new AG though and I haven't heard how his standard will be. You could also apply to one of the local chiefs for a permit (who are Shall Issue). I do not know anyone who has gotten a non resident permit from a police chief or of any case law on it, so it might be difficult.
    You should also come up with a good reason why you need/want the permit.
    If you are simply traveling through a state, you probably do not need a permit for every state as most states let you pass thorugh if you firearm is unloaded and secure. However, you need to check the laws in the state you travel through.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links