Colorado, North Dakota, Arkansas & Florida Now Honor Iowa

This is a discussion on Colorado, North Dakota, Arkansas & Florida Now Honor Iowa within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; CO, ND, AR and FL have added Iowa to the list of states they honor. There will be a few more. But with Iowa not ...

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar

CO, ND, AR and FL have added Iowa to the list of states they honor. There will be a few more. But with Iowa not signing agreements it will limit how many states honor their permit/license. Some states require Signed agreements. WV, NH, MS and others. But they will pick up a few more. ND just added IA today. The others in the last two to three weeks. Iowa has been one of my biggest surprises. I never thought they would go from May Issue very restricted to Honoring all other states and Shall Issue. That was a huge leap. But it shows what can be done.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

Too bad they won't sign agreements with other states.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

GM
    Thanks a lot for telling about it. Iowa has definitely been one very big surprise
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

So IA honors all other states now, I assume none of the 49 other states were asked by IA to sign any agreements. Some states (WV, NH, MS) require signed agreements from IA, but I don't understand why. IA honors their permits, so there doesn't have to be a mutual agreement. WV, NH, MS etc. should not need to get any signature from IA to pass legislature in their own state.
    What exactly are WV, NH, MS asking IA to sign? I can understand that for liability issues IA don't want to sign anything. Do you have any references to the agreements?

IT is their state laws that say they must sign an agreement. SC, OH, WV, NH, MS and other states must have a signed agreement before they will honor another state. These states usually have certain requirements in the way permit/licenses are issued before they will sign an agreement. FL, WY, LA plus some others will honor anyone who honors their permit/license without any type of agreement. As long as you honor mine I will honor yours. Then some just look at other states laws and if they meet their standards they will honor their permit no matter if the state honors theirs or not. KS, NE, NV are this way. Then some states just honor all other states permit/license, TN, KY, IA, MI, UT, AZ, AK etc etc. It is just the way their law is written. Just like CO, MI, NH, SC, Maine and NH law states that they will only honor Resident Permit/Licenses from the states they honor. It is the way their law is written.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Florida will honor permits from those states that honor its permit holders, so some sort of agreement had to take place. FL dropped NV because of this issue.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Florida drop Nevada because Nevada dropped them. There was no agreement. So when NV removed FL from their list of states they would honor then FL removed NV from their list as they will not honor any state that does not honor theirs. Nevada looks every year at all the states and looks at their laws and say these states meet their requirements and put their name on the list. It doesn't matter if the other state will honor them or not. Florida just looks at who will honor them and they will reciprocate without any type of agreement. But FL unlike Iowa will sign agreements if the state requires one. But FL does not require any type of agreement. They added Iowa to their list on Jan 4, 2011. They added Iowa because Iowa stated they would honor them. Iowa will not sign agreements. Now FL honors SC and WV. Both those states require signed agreements. So FL signed an agreement with them. FL will do what it takes to get another state to honors theirs. Alaska is the same way. They honor all other states permit/licenses and will sign with any state that wants to sign with them. You can carry in Alaska without a permit/license but when it comes to getting an Alaska Permit/License to Carry they made the law very tough. It is shall issue but you have to be fingerprinted, Have Training, Run Back ground checks etc etc. They made the law that way so their permit/License had a better chance of being honored by all the other states and not to make it difficult for their citizens.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Thanks for the explanation Gary, it makes more sense now. However, I think it's unfortunate that some states have laws that require the other state(s) to sign agreements. I don't think any state should have to do that for them to honor their permit. I think the laws in those states should be changed so they do not require a signed agreement.

I like the way Alaska does it. Anyone who can legally own a handgun and is 21 can carry it concealed without any type of permit/license. But they offer a permit/license you can obtain that they issue just so their residents can carry in other states with it. Arizona does about the same thing.

Now Florida requires a permit/license to carry in their state. But they will honor anyone who honors theirs. FL will sign any agreement to reciprocate no matter what the other states laws on obtaining a permit/license.

Both are good systems. If all states were like this then we would have nationwide carry. But I have to say. If you would have told me just 10 years ago I could legally carry in 39 states I would have laughed at you. I mean really laughed. The states are doing a great job and it is spreading. Look at Iowa and even in Illinois they are more upbeat about getting carry. I believe Wisconsin will have Shall Issue this year. So things are really looking up.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

I agree with Gary that the carry issue has come a long way since it really started in the 90s with Florida I believe. I guess our money that goes to the NRA/NRA-ILA is being used for something good :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slider View Post
    It is shall issue but you have to be fingerprinted, Have Training, Run Back ground checks etc etc. They made the law that way so their permit/License had a better chance of being honored by all the other states and not to make it difficult for their citizens.
    Isn't that what it should be?
    As far as signing agreements, I like that also. Makes it a contract, being an act for an act.
    Now, if we could only get NY state to agree.
    I lived there until I was 25. Had a CWP there. Moved to Florida. I have a Fl permit.
    I can carry in all states driving to NY to visit my sister, except in NY state.

I believe the Florida permit started in 1987. I had one of the first year ones.

VIP Member
    It's a shame that Florida won't honour non res permits, because that's all I have. Being a Canadian, they won't issue me one of their own non res permits. As a result, my tourist $ stay out of Florida.

Keep up the good work Gary!!

BTW, I'm the guy that gave you the heads up on Utah issuing to US citizens living abroad.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

I did write our Atty Gen CC section about it, and going to see what answer I get about why we wouldn't add Iowa. They are pretty good about things. Hope we can help out the cause.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    More states honoring reciprocy is always a good thing. Should help those individuals who feel they must have ten "non-resident" permits to CYA.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Links