SC vs NC vs FL vs resident vs non-resident... HELP!

This is a discussion on SC vs NC vs FL vs resident vs non-resident... HELP! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi everyone. I have a question, but first here's my situation: --Lived in Florida, got my "concealed weapon or firearm license" (it does not say ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SC vs NC vs FL vs resident vs non-resident... HELP!

Hi everyone. I have a question, but first here's my situation:

--Lived in Florida, got my "concealed weapon or firearm license" (it does not say resident or non-resident permit, but does have my old FL address on it)
    --Then lived in North Carolina, got my "NC Concealed handgun permit" (again, does not say res or non-res, and has my old NC address on it)
    --Just moved to South Carolina where I now live... my drivers license is a SC drivers license...

Do I need to get a SC concealed permit, or do my other permits suffice for carrying concealed? Any help would be great, it seems impossible to find any info on this after searching for hours... Thanks!

NC does not work as a non resident. It's only good as long as you are a resident of the state.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Ok so would the FL permit qualify as a non-resident now that I don't live there any more?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike9c View Post
    Ok so would the FL permit qualify as a non-resident now that I don't live there any more?
    It will qualify as non-res but be sure to change the address on the permit, as far as North Carolina we do not issue non-res permits so it is no longer valid.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

South Carolina does NOT honor non resident permits. You're looking for a way to screw yourself to the wall. Get the SC permit.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    South Carolina does NOT honor non resident permits. You're looking for a way to screw yourself to the wall. Get the SC permit.
    That is CORRECT!
    Kimber UC II
    SA XD-45 SC
    1948 16g Remington Model 24
    Mossberg .410g shottie

VIP Member
    You need to get a SC permit. Beside the fact that SC does not honor non-resident permits, there is the question of validity of your other 2 permits, since you are no longer residents of the states. When I moved to VA from OK my OK permit ceased to be valid when I established my VA residency.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member
    Also call FL and have your address changed just so it's correct for other states where you can use it.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

Senior Moderator
    Hi everyone. I have a question, but first here's my situation:

--Lived in Florida, got my "concealed weapon or firearm license" (it does not say resident or non-resident permit, but does have my old FL address on it)
    --Then lived in North Carolina, got my "NC Concealed handgun permit" (again, does not say res or non-res, and has my old NC address on it)
    --Just moved to South Carolina where I now live... my drivers license is a SC drivers license...

Do I need to get a SC concealed permit, or do my other permits suffice for carrying concealed? Any help would be great, it seems impossible to find any info on this after searching for hours... Thanks!
    For Florida, you need to notify the Dept. of Ag. of your new address, which you can do online here: https://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/li...hgaddr790.html

However, South Carolina does not recognize your Florida license now, as you are no longer a Florida resident. For a list of states with Florida reciprocity, see http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/new...led_carry.html

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum, Mike9c.

Per previous responses, you will need to get a SC CWP. Technically, there are exceptions where some non-resident CWPs are honored, but it requires that you own and pay property taxes here in SC. We have some legislation on the table right now that will hopefully correct some of this nonsense. Here's a link that should be able to address the details around your question:

http://www.sled.sc.gov/cwp.aspx?MenuID=CWP

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    One, if your permit was issued to you as a resident by any state, that's a resident permit and only valid while you maintain residency, just as if a DL. Two, you need to apply for a SC permit if that's the state in which you reside (work, maintain a dwelling, vehicles are registered, etc.).

Florida will only honor another state's resident permit if:
    1. That state has a reciprocy agreement with FL;
    or
    2. you are a resident of that same state. FL does not honor someone from, for example, NY having a PA non-resident permit as that person is not a resident of PA. In other words, non-resident permits issued in other states are not honored, only those isuued by FL.

I believe a SC permit is honored in both NC and FL.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Welcome to the forum, Mike9c.

Technically, there are exceptions where some non-resident CWPs are honored, but it requires that you own and pay property taxes here in SC.
    Owning property in SC can qualify you for a non-resident SC CWP, but it does not allow the state to recognize non-resident permits from other states.

Thanks so much for all of the info everyone, and also for the links! I'm definitely getting my SC permit even if my other permits WHERE acceptable. If nothing else, If I ever did have to use my firearm I would want my local permit for court purposes (it just looks better).

So I need to change my address on my Florida permit? Will that turn my permit into a non-res permit and will they send me a new card? Will this start my expiration date over again for that permit?

Senior Moderator
    Thanks so much for all of the info everyone, and also for the links! I'm definitely getting my SC permit even if my other permits WHERE acceptable. If nothing else, If I ever did have to use my firearm I would want my local permit for court purposes (it just looks better).

So I need to change my address on my Florida permit? Will that turn my permit into a non-res permit and will they send me a new card? Will this start my expiration date over again for that permit?
    Florida only issues one permit, and makes no distinction between resident and non-resident.

When you change your address, you have the option of getting a new card, but they don't require it. In fact, the new CWFLs don't have the address on them at all.

Changing the address does not change the expiration date.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Got it! Thanks so much Matt!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links