Just back from the range - not a pretty story.

This is a discussion on Just back from the range - not a pretty story. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just got back from the range today. Seriously, felt like a newbie. Here are some thoughts that are not necessarily anything new to this forum: ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Distinguished Member

Just got back from the range today. Seriously, felt like a newbie. Here are some thoughts that are not necessarily anything new to this forum:

1. Practice makes perfect. My range time the past six months has been sporadic at best. Lots of excuses. I need to literally schedule regular range time or it does not happen. Almost all my groupings were down and left – three+ inches from center. Ugh.

2. I took my S&W 3913 today. I love that pistol but also learned some stuff. I’m embarrassed to say I have been carrying that pistol off and on since this summer. I had a Crossbreed Supertuck holster which fits perfectly. However, I did not elect to have the “combat cut”. I had never had range time with it. Imagine my shock to see that when I did a fast draw my thumb pinched the inside of the leather to the grip thereby preventing me from drawing – every time! Sooo, back to CrossBreed for some alterations.

3. Generally I carry an Andrews’ mag and light pouch on the weak side, of course. I also hang a set of keys and a cell phone there as well. Everything gets crowded so, inadvertently, my pouch was sitting at ten o’clock. Reaching for the second mag, imagine my surprise when I was grasping a set of keys at 8 o’clock. Duh! That won’t happen again. Also need to find another arrangement for keys and cell.

4. I was also miffed to see that my trustworthy S&W slipped from unlock to lock in the middle of a shooting exercise. I thought for sure it was just me but I slowed my shooting and watched it slip into lock. Just a bit disconcerting when you pull the trigger and nothing moves. Guess it will be off to the shop.

5. Last night, again, embarrassed to say, I was turning in for the night and de-holstering. I pulled my spare mag to my 3913 and was stunned to see that I was removing a .380 mag from my Sig 232 BUG. I walked around all day with a useless second mag. That really was disconcerting. I am working on a plan to keep the right gun and the right mags in separate cases. Unbelievable! Sloppy is as sloppy does.

6. Lastly, most of my (indoor) range time is shooting 7-21 feet. I do not practice quick draw that often. Wrong! I sorely need to work on quick draw with a 2+1 tactical grouping. I was woefully awkward. True, it did not help having that holster pinching I first talked about. But still…

Comments welcome.
    Last edited by aznav; January 27th, 2011 at 10:33 PM.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

1. I'm even worse with range time.
    2. Went with combat cut first time only time-love it. Like you said get it combat cut or more EMPTY pistol draw practice at home.
    3. I carry my cell on weak side pocket, daily carry keys in left front pocket, work keys on strong side behind pistol, when at the range my mag carrier goes on the weak side but on the belt.
    4. GLOCK
    5. You're on your own there, no BUG for me yet.
    6. More practice, there can never be enough.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Better to find those things out now/at the range, than in the middle of a crap storm.
    Knowing the problems, I'm sure you will take the necessary actions to correct them.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Better to find out during a range session than when your in a SHTF situtation.

Even if you can't get to the range very often you might get some snap caps, and do some drills a the house, or get one of those neat little laser snap caps and use them for practice at the house so you know where your bullet will go and you can work on your trigger control. Practice at home is worth the time and effort if you can't get to the range very often.

In the long run, practice at home is pretty cheap as well, even if you have to purchase a bit more gadgetry.

Sorry about the trouble with the S&W, all mechanical things can break, or malfunction.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Just a note on my Supertuck. When drawing, my thumb naturally finds its way onto the top of the rear sights, a little to the left, and slides down to where it should be as I draw. This has no effect on my grip strength, draw speed or final placement of my hands.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

The thumb not reaching its final position on the left side of the grip until part way through the draw is a natural feature of the scoop draw.

Oh, I didn't know there was a name for it. Just always seemed like the most efficient way to draw.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

That feature alone does not make the draw a scoop draw. The scoop draw is identified by the draw being acomplished in one continous motion, no stops, with the hand coming from below/behind the gun and "scooping" it up and out of the holster as the hand goes by it.

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar
    Not to hijack this thread, but the last time at the range I struggled a bit. I am near-sighted and wear contact lenses. My contacts are prescribed such that my right eye is "tuned" for distance (e.g., driving) and my left eye for close up (e.g., reading). This means when firing a handgun (my right hand is my strong hand), I can see the target just fine (distance) but have a lot of trouble seeing the sights on the pistol. I was wondering if anyone else faces this issue and (short of shooting left handed) how you've overcome or addressed it. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    Just a note on my Supertuck. When drawing, my thumb naturally finds its way onto the top of the rear sights, a little to the left, and slides down to where it should be as I draw. This has no effect on my grip strength, draw speed or final placement of my hands.
    The draw is the same for me. Just seems natural.

Regards
    Rick
    "Fail Your Way To Success"
    "A Goal without a Plan, is Just a Dream"
    "Age and treachery will win over Youth and Enthusiasm"

Just a thought...

You can practice quick drawing in your living room. Just no firing. or you can dry fire. MAKE SURE YOUR PISTOL IS EMPTY!!!
    It's not perfect, but it will get you used to reaching for your pistol. Your TV used as a target.
    Also, get dummy rounds & practice clearing malfunctions every other week or so.

Perfect Practice Prevents Piss Poor Performance

With the proper precautions, I would recommend draw practice both not firing and firing (dry fire) as you will then be accustomed to doing either. If you just practice drawing with not firing, you might find yourself doing that for real when you should be firing.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    That feature alone does not make the draw a scoop draw. The scoop draw is identified by the draw being acomplished in one continous motion, no stops, with the hand coming from below/behind the gun and "scooping" it up and out of the holster as the hand goes by it.
    I can totally see the mechanics of the draw but the problem I have is my polo shirt gets wraped up In the grip as I draw. Am I overlooking or missing something? Now if I were to open carry it would not be a problem.

slipped from unlock to lock in the middle of a shooting exercise
    What's this about? Is there a part you can remove to prevent this from ever happening again?
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The "combat cut" is easy enough to make yourself. A sharp pair of scissors or exacto knife will do the job, plus doing it yourself allows to to "custom" cut it to you gun and grip.

On the rare occasions I carry my 4566 (it's a bit big/heavy for CC), the decoker automatically goes to the "fire" position. I carry chambered, decocked, DA.

My draw practice is entirely in front of a mirror. The local indoor range that allows draws and rapid-fire is disgustingly filthy, and the public range allows neither holstering or rapid-fire.

A malfunctioning safety could be a real bummer. Definitely time for repair.

Can't help you with the keys and wrong mag except to say, unload the wrong mag...and unload the junk on your belt. There's a new invention these days that helps--called pockets.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links