First Time Carrying - Gotta get used to it...

This is a discussion on First Time Carrying - Gotta get used to it... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After receiving my holster in the mail today, courtesy of one of the boards members, I ventured out carrying for the first time. Its going ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Time Carrying - Gotta get used to it...

First Time Carrying - Gotta get used to it...

After receiving my holster in the mail today, courtesy of one of the boards members, I ventured out carrying for the first time. Its going to take some getting used to for sure. I'm carrying a M&P40c in a TT Gunleather Slim IWB "Mike's Special" holster. It sits nice and close to the body, but I think it the weight I'm not used to. I'm sure it will get normal once I wear it out and about over the next week.

2. Remove Ads

What kind of belt are you using? Get a purpose made gun-belt, it makes a big difference.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

With good gear, eventually you will notice it no more than the fact that you're wearing pants.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

You'll get used to it. It feels strange to everyone when they first start carrying. It'll grow on you in no time.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

GM
    Yup, you will get used to it very soon
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

VIP Member
    It grows on you with time. As BuckeyeLCPL said, a good quality gun belt will help too.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member
    It gets better every day.

And congrats.

I have a couple pretty thick and solid belts I wear. I think it may just be the shock of just going from nothing to a holster and gun all of a sudden. It'll get better with time though.

Don't just slap it on an consider yourself armed. You need to practice out of the holster, a lot. Double check for an empty gun, then draw and shoot at the bad guys on TV. Work out your safety release so it's natural. Of course, live fire if you can find a range that allows it or open country. Good luck, it's a very serious step you've just made.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    What kind of belt are you using? Get a purpose made gun-belt, it makes a big difference.
    I will second this. If cost is a concern, at least get a good heavy duty leather belt like one of the ones made by Dickies. A good work belt will do a fairly good job of supporting the weight of the gun but as buckeyeLCPL says, a purpose made gun belt is really the way to go.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

It won't be long and you'll feel naked without it.

Indeed. The first time I carried in public I felt I had a neon sign over my head. That first week seemed pretty awkward, and it took some time to just get used to the extra bulge under the clothes.

In the weeks prior to getting my CC permit I carried around the house to accustom myself to just having it on and learn where/when it felt "right" and when it didn't. I think it also helps quell the usual fidgeting and tugging with your shirt once you do go out.

But then I also had to learn whether, when & how my gun might reveal itself in daily life. You can stand in front of a mirror all day and say to yourself, "That looks good!!" then head out the door, go to the store, pick something off the top shelf and everyone around you sees that weapon of mass destruction on your hip. You really DO need to be aware of how your chosen method of carry will work in your daily activities.

The first time I wore a new OWB holster with a 1911 commander in public I went to a university women's dinner -- not on campus -- with my wife and didn't realize until twenty minutes after I sat down that my holster & firearm were about 75% exposed beneath my untucked shirt.

Funny... when I stood in front of the mirror and admired my stealth I sure couldn't spot it.

It takes time AND work to make CC work.
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Quote Originally Posted by Top Strap View Post
    It won't be long and you'll feel naked without it.
    I agree 100%!!! The initial sensation of carrying a gun is somewhat akin to tunnel vision. I can remember my first few CC's in public. I did the obligatory Wally-World walk as well as other errands and daily life activities to test out this new reality. After a few hours in public, I would return home and reflect back on the day. The strange part is that I couldn't remember much about the day other than being totally aware that I was carrying a gun in public.

Now, it's part of my routine. It's as normal as clipping on my cell phone, light, knife, extra mags, slipping my wallet in my pocket and kissing the wife goodbye.

In about four hours, I have to leave for the airport to head to Costa Rica. Obviously, the farthest I can carry is the airport before I lock it up in my safe in my truck. From there, it's five days of sheer Heck not having my constant companion by my side. Well, my wife is coming along, but Y'All know what I mean. ;-)

My wife's CC instructor, who is a member here, may have the best quote for this.

Carrying a gun is comforting, but may not be completely comfortable. Or something like that.

Yeah, it takes some getting used to. I now have to do quick "pat downs" to make doubly sure I am not carrying when going certain places.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    welcome the feeling passes
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links