Keeping a round in the chamber when gun in glove box?

This is a discussion on Keeping a round in the chamber when gun in glove box? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I usually keep my CC gun in my glove box when I go places I am not allowed to carry it into, for example, work. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Keeping a round in the chamber when gun in glove box?

Keeping a round in the chamber when gun in glove box?

I usually keep my CC gun in my glove box when I go places I am not allowed to carry it into, for example, work. I have always kept a round in the chamber, it is de-cocked and the safety is on. Lately Ive been wondering about the safety of that. What's the likelihood my gun could go off if I were in an accident? I know of one other experienced gun owner (Army Ranger) who will not keep a round chambered with the gun in the glove box. Just got me thinking. Any thoughts, or expertise on this issue?

2. Remove Ads

What would be the difference in keeping one in the tube and accidently dropping it? The chances of it going off in the glove box is really remote and there is more chances of it happening at other times. Years ago when I was a LEO, I carried a pretty 357 in my shiny fancy web gear during day shift, but when on midnight shift, I carried a Colt Commander 45. Always carried it cocked and locked. The sub compact 45 I CC now, I carry cocked and locked. Old habits are hard to change. The day shift was more public relations so they wanted us to look pretty. At night we spent most of our time rolling around on the ground with drunks. The colt I carried, was taken off a suspected armed robber along with a sawed off shotgun. He didn't see me and my lead filled slap coming up behind him. That was the good old days. I hated turning that Colt in when I left the department.

I personally have never liked having a round in the chamber when the gun isn't under my immediate control, however - lately i've been reconsidering that because it seems like the more that you manipulate - load and unload the weapon - the more opportunity you have for a mistake - I'm curious to hear what others have to say about this

My thought, exactly! I figure the only way I will have a nd is while remove or inserting a round. So, when I have to disarm, I leave the round in the chamber and only verify that the safety is engaged.
    PT145, CZ52, PM for carry. Lots of others to look at

I guess it would depend on the pistol being stored. If the safety blocks the hammer or striker I don't think much would happen. Also, a firing pin safety should deter any unwanted discharges. The only thing I've ever heard about guns going off in cars is due to heat. IE all metal 92fs in AZ 115*f+. I have no idea about revolvers without a transfer bar.

Always one in the pipe. There are times I have to leave it in the car also, but I never unload it.

You would have to think, " Ok, I can safely unload it by removing the clip, racking the slide and ejecting the round". Now when you retrieve the weapon from the glovebox, are you going to reload it then? If your weapon doesn't have a decocker, then you have to carefully lower the hammer if you carry in the down position. This is why I carry cocked and locked. I've seen that hammer slip too many times over the years. Some years back after hunting one day, I was laying my 30-30 on the back seat of my truck and was lowering the hammer. It slipped and I had the nicest hole in the opposite side door appear.
    Too much room for accidents when loading and unloading weapons in public.

Any firearm in my car, if one is left there for a short period of time, is in a holster. That semi-auto pistol will always have a round in the chamber.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I sometimes leave my GLOCK in the glovebox, but never drive with it in there. I do keep a round chambered and a full magazine in it.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

VIP Member
    Depending on the gun I'm carrying. If it's my 1911 it's cocked and locked and holstered. If it is one of my other guns, round chambered, hammer down and holstered. As long as the gun is in proper working order, it shouldn't go off.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Any handgun of recent design should have ample safties (Transfer bars, firing pin/striker blocks, etc.) in place to prevent a discharge in an accident. Any accident severe enough to override all that, you probably wouldn't have to worry about anyhow.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I leave a round chambered, and the gun in the holster when locked away in the car. No different than if it was on the hip or in the pocket--the trigger is still covered, and nobody is monkeying with it.
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

I always keep one in the chamber on all my guns. I don't have kids so I keep all the ones in my house ready. Put yourself in this scenario. You are walking to your car from a late night at work. You see a guy quickly approaching you in the parking lot and before you know it, you see he has a knife and is on top of you. There is a brief struggle but you find yourself separated from the bad guy but he still has the knife and is trying to recover. You look up and see that your car is only 20 feet away so you quickly get out your keyless remote and sprint for the car. Now would you prefer to open that glove box and have a gun you know you always leave ready to go bang or have to wonder if I unloaded it this time or not. I believe if there is no kids around the gun, then it should always be ready to go bang. Yes I know there are exceptions to this but I am mainly referring to the glove box question.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jjac View Post
    I personally have never liked having a round in the chamber when the gun isn't under my immediate control, however - lately i've been reconsidering that because it seems like the more that you manipulate - load and unload the weapon - the more opportunity you have for a mistake - I'm curious to hear what others have to say about this

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    And your overlooking the fact that when its not in your possesion, and you need it quickly, now your screwing around racking slides and such.

If its an auto loader, just pull the mag out if that makes you more comfortable.

It isn't going to go BANG all on its lonesome in there by itself.

I have no problem leaving a chambered round in at all times.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

If I am out and about it's one "up the pipe" cocked an locked. Doesn't matter if it's a 1911, Glock or a S&W J Frame. Doesn't matter, glove box, my Nano Vault, pocket dolster, or IWB holster.

The Duke
    "It's time to nut up or shut up" - Woody Harrelson, "Tallahassee" in "Zombieland"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links