Miami News This Morning

Miami News This Morning

This is a discussion on Miami News This Morning within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/01/2...s-a-move.html#...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Its good to see that the tide has turned and people are learning criminals dont obey the laws. What needs to happen , since the liberals are so big on social programs, is a goverment funded educational class available to all lawful citizens on the use, storage and and safe handling of firearms. This may prevent alot of NDs from people who have never been taught anything about firearms, while not infringing on the rights of gun ownership, kind of like a goverment sponsored benefit to the right to bear arms. Education trumps rhetorical prejudice everytime.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Its good to see that the tide has turned and people are learning criminals dont obey the laws. What needs to happen , since the liberals are so big on social programs, is a goverment funded educational class available to all lawful citizens on the use, storage and and safe handling of firearms. This may prevent alot of NDs from people who have never been taught anything about firearms, while not infringing on the rights of gun ownership, kind of like a goverment sponsored benefit to the right to bear arms. Education trumps rhetorical prejudice everytime.
    Definitely an excellent idea. It could also be seen as proof that the Govt has resigned itself to the fact that guns and gun rights under the 2A are here to stay. No doubt the antis would scream loudly.

Lets hope this spreads across the country.

I'm still bothered by OC. I would feel better if they just addressed accidential OC or printing. The state's main income is tourist and most of them are from overseas. Don't think folks walking down the street with guns on their hips gonna make visitors feel comfortable. If you want to OC, then wear the uniform and carry all you want, otherwise keep it hidden and to yourself.

My Dad (South Florida) and I (Central Florida) have been talking about what's been happening and I'm glad to see the Florida Legislature is looking to loosen gun laws. As everyone knows, gun laws only hurt the law abiding citizen. I personally would not open carry, but I think allowing open carry is an excellent idea for the simple reasons 1) it desensitizes/un-teaches the populace to the thought that guns are evil if they see a gun on a non-LEO and nothing bad happens, 2) it's a deterrent, 3) one wouldn't have to worry if a concealed weapon is exposed when bending over, the wind blowing a shirt up, etc.

Reading the article, looks like the laws will pass which is outstanding IMHO. What they really need to do, though, is fix the legal system to more adequately punish the criminals. The guys that committed the murders should never have been on the streets in the first place. You can't get the guns away from the criminals so put the career criminals away for good. For the guys on death row . . . time to move/roll over and make room. Makes everyone safer. If unable to do that, allow the citizens and LEO to take greater action under the protection of the law.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandflea13 View Post
    I'm still bothered by OC. I would feel better if they just addressed accidential OC or printing. The state's main income is tourist and most of them are from overseas. Don't think folks walking down the street with guns on their hips gonna make visitors feel comfortable. If you want to OC, then wear the uniform and carry all you want, otherwise keep it hidden and to yourself.
    I have worn the uniform, the military uniform, and am now a citizen. I was 18 and in-theater/boots-on-ground for the first Gulf War and a civilian contractor for the second. I openly carried weapons when overseas whether as a military member or a civilian and feel I have earned the right to protect myself, my family and my loved ones when home. I feel I should be permitted to do so.

Have you been to other countries? Do you know how common it is in Europe for police to be standing around with MP5s out in public or places like the airport?

And just because you don't have a reason to OC doesn't mean that applies to everyone.

I hope it passes, sounds as though it will. I don't know if I would ever OC, but I do think it should be the choice of the individual, if they choose to do so. The quicker people understand that guns don't kill people, people kill people , the better off everyone will be. If I run my truck into a crowd of people and kill 20, they won't be wanting to take everyone's truck's. Gun regulation only effect law abiding folks, criminals don't listen to laws, that is why they are criminals.

I have been in other countries and to the best of my memory, only military and law enforcement open carried. In my former life as an LEO, we never OC when off duty. In fact, it was department policy that we be armed but weapons had to be concealed. Why would someone want to draw attention to themselves or their families? If law enforcement thinks its a bad idea for a certified officer to OC when off duty, then why is it a good thing for civilians?
    I think I read someone either on this forum or another that made a statement about if someone complained that you had handled your firearm improperly, all the LEO had to know was that you had a gun and the burden was on you to disprove it. The less someone knows about me, the better I like it.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    That is a very bias opinion, to bad if tourist don't like it. THIS IS AMERICA, if you don't like how free we are, then LEAVE.. oh one more thing OC is a great crime deterrent.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The Miami Herald article makes mention that the third bill would ensure that local governments in Florida can't pass gun-control laws.

Even though the state clearly has preemption over firearm and ammunition laws (allowing local municipalities to regulate waiting periods only), many county ordinances exist in violation of the state statute, which makes all current (as of 2006) and future local ordinances "null and void." The statute is undeniably clear in it's wording and intent--to make the state the sole source of of firearm and ammunition regulation in order to standardize the laws statewide.

Because these ordinances are still "on the books" one could find one's self being arrested by an over-zealous officer, charged by a egotistical and office-seeking DA, and then having to go to court to enact the state's preemptive statutes. There is currently no penalty for a municipality to enact any such laws, but this newest bill encorporates a heavy fine for doing so. This bill is much needed to add teeth to the state's sole domain.

I recently had a long discussion with a county attorney about an ordinance (est. in '86) still on the books. He assured me that county deputies have been instructed to follow "state law" in firearm matters, but the ordinance is still posted as of yesterday. How difficult is it to strike it from the books?

While FL requirement for concealed carry is to be hidden from "ordinary view" only, this is still open to interpretation. Allowing OC would remove any gray areas for inadvertant exhibition or assumptions of printing.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Ever been to Europe? Never seen the soldiers and guards standing around with the machineguns over their shoulders? I think the "tourists" are quite used to it by now. If the outrageously high crime rate of Miami hasn't driven them off by now, I don't expect a few OC'ers to do so.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

sounds like a great bill to me.

These bills are only a start, and I hope two things will happen...more freedom to carry anywhere, and VERY tough penalties for dirtbags who prey on others.
    If criminals were given much longer sentences and it required that they serve them "in full"...then we could eliminate the problems in society caused by 'revolving prison doors'.OMOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links