Armed with Cell Phone only

This is a discussion on Armed with Cell Phone only within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I read with interest the thread "How to defend against unwarranted observer complaints." This news article presents a different aspect but similar theme... http://www.kirksvilledailyexpress.co...wn-at-Wal-Mart...

Thread: Armed with Cell Phone only

I read with interest the thread "How to defend against unwarranted observer complaints." This news article presents a different aspect but similar theme...

http://www.kirksvilledailyexpress.co...wn-at-Wal-Mart

I don't know that it is possible to entirely protect against someone who observes something and perceives it to be something else and calls authorities.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    I don't know that it is possible to entirely protect against someone who observes something and perceives it to be something else and calls authorities.
    Yeah, but why take him into custody?
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I saw nothing that indicated that he was arrested. I suspect that "taken into custody" just means that he was detained/restrained until they could sort things out, then he was released.

I saw nothing that indicated that he was arrested. I suspect that "taken into custody" just means that he was detained/restrained until they could sort things out, then he was released.
    Agreed. I did not see that he was charged with any crime. I think the reporter used the term (taken into custody) that was not correct for the situation. There was no crime committed.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

VIP Member
    "Drop your cell phone and get out of your car!!" There are times when people need to mind their own business, this is one of them. Someone talking/arguing on the phone is no reason to get your shorts all knotted and go running to the police.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

The followup discussion with the tipster would be interesting !
    PT145, CZ52, PM for carry. Lots of others to look at

Locking down the store and holding customers against their will?
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Location, ingress/egress control for the safety of the public.

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    I live 15 miles from Kirksville and friend was at the gas station in the parking lot of Wal Marts when this happened. He said he didn't know Kirksville had so many LEO. They must have all come for the show.

When they get a call of MWG they have no idea of what they are getting into. As for the pantie wetter, what can you expect from a college town.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

I agree. Minding your own business and all of a sudden an army of cops show up, you're going to have to comply with what the police ask.

I agree that you're not going to have control over what other people perceive as outrageous or suicidal behavior. However you can endeavor not to exhibit what you would see as outrageous behavior in public. Not always possible, but I would say ranting and raving on a cell phone could be perceived as something to cause alarm in someone else who may be observing from a distance.

People have got to learn to mind their own business and that not everything warrants a phone call to the police. Sheesh, this whole incident in the OP was totally avoidable. Too many busybodies and snoops around. They're everywhere.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    Let's throw in this kicker. The guy has a CCW and is carrying. He still was only on the phone and his weapon was always holstered. Does this impact how the cops handle the situation? Now it is he said / she said. Seems like this could be more of a problem for our guy.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    Let's throw in this kicker. The guy has a CCW and is carrying. He still was only on the phone and his weapon was always holstered. Does this impact how the cops handle the situation? Now it is he said / she said. Seems like this could be more of a problem for our guy.
    I thought of this as well, but it seems to me the guy with the cell phone must have really attracted attention to himself someway, ranting and raving or whatnot. I think most gunners wouldn't be in this situation.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom Doc View Post
    I thought of this as well, but it seems to me the guy with the cell phone must have really attracted attention to himself someway, ranting and raving or whatnot. I think most gunners wouldn't be in this situation.
    At least they shouldn't be putting their self in situations where they appear to be a raving maniac to the casual observer.

People who carry guns should have a level head and control over their emotions at all times. Especially when they are out in public.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

The tipster needs an eye exam pronto.

Sponsored Links