Good: LE Encounter / Concealed related

This is a discussion on Good: LE Encounter / Concealed related within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So today I did a no no. I was going about 6 mph over speed limit on the last 2 days of the month sigh..... ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good: LE Encounter / Concealed related

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar

Cool Good: LE Encounter / Concealed related

So today I did a no no. I was going about 6 mph over speed limit on the last 2 days of the month sigh.....

Police officer in a GA city I was driving through blue lighted me. He was just doing his job. Said they are enforcing hard today and there are no exceptions. I respected his job and I after all I guess I gave a reason to pull me over. I guess he was in his middle '20s

Anyways...He walked up to my window, the usual, how you doing etc... I was like fantastic and you ? He responded in kind. Told me why he pulled me over, I acknowledged smiling kindly.

He asked me for registration. I keep it in the Center Console, where I store my firearm while driving. I cant stand it digging into my side while driving. Before I opened the center console I told him I have a loaded firearm in my center console and I was going to remove it and place my weapon on my dashboard to access my registration. He said thanks for letting me know and please dont worry about it.

So I got my registration and he did his warrant check etc... no biggie. Of course came back clean. He gave me a ridiculously reduced citation for being kind and nice and for letting him know I was armed, which by the way is not required in the state of GA.

All in all a good encounter with no issues. He didn't even ask to see the firearm once I told him about it.

Of course I still have like a $45.00 or so fine haha but I'm not above the law.

Chow...........
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

2. Remove Ads

Good for you... sounds like you handled yourself appropriately, and the officer reponded with the same courtesy. Bunker

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Attitude is everything when dealing with LEOs. I'm sure he appreciated you being straight forward with him.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Good job on both sides!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    Jeez, it would have been more fun to read if he had pulled you from your car at gunpoint, made you eat concrete, and ejected all of your bullets onto the ground! J/K

Good job by both of you, the way a stop should go.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Ciáo to you, too! On your way, pay your fine... good encounter!
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

No, not bad at all.
    I'm down here in SE Georgia and there's a obvious increased presence out on the streets.....local and county have steped-up their efforts on 'speeders' significantly here also. Wonder if it's a state mandated thing?
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I always have to be careful on my way to school, especially during the last days of the month. Dunwoody police patrol their little stretch of I-285 and the roads to my campus religiously!

Glad you got off with a smaller ticket though, it could have been much worse with some of the officers running around here that have a 'high and mighty' complex.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Hey Y'all: Nice to read a thread and replies that are not "muddied up" with the "hell and fury" of 2A, "my legal and constitutional rights", "don't say anything", "the LEO is only out to get you" etc etc. Seems to me that the only people who have these kind of complaints are the kind of people who deserve them and they are sure easy to spot on these forums.

While I appreciate the fact that you are not required to notify in Gerogia, since the gun was in the center console and he was very likley going to see it when you got out your registration, I think you were wise to tell him in advance. If you had just opened the console and reached in, and he saw the gun it's quite possible you would have quickly been looking at the muzzle of his gun.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I was pulled over in Indiana Friday afternoon for speeding (I was, talking to my wife, inattention-my fault). I had my hands on the wheel and informed the officer I had a concealed weapon in a shoulder holster and had a permit. He thanked me several times, said he really appreciated my telling him. He took my license and gave me a warning ticket, again thanking me for informing him. I am convinced that my being up front with him was the reason I was not ticketed, I was doing 63 in a 55. This was the first time I have been pulled over in years, nice job Indiana Highway Patrol. And thanks to everyone on the forum, I took the consensus advice and will always inform, hopefully not very often...
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Maybe slightly off topic, but I note that both of the above posters were ticketed for going 6 and 8 mph over the speed limit respectively. For any LEOs here, in my area, some suburbs require the officer to give a written explanation to the Chief as to why they wrote a ticket for under 10 over. (Bad PR for the Police Department) I guess when I am in Indiana, my usual act of setting cruise control at 8 over the limit is not a good idea.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Maybe slightly off topic, but I note that both of the above posters were ticketed for going 6 and 8 mph over the speed limit respectively. For any LEOs here, in my area, some suburbs require the officer to give a written explanation to the Chief as to why they wrote a ticket for under 10 over. (Bad PR for the Police Department) I guess when I am in Indiana, my usual act of setting cruise control at 8 over the limit is not a good idea.
    I think it is honestly the economy and judges, courts, and police departments are feeling the squeeze of the economy. It is probably just lack of income so they are pushing officers to make revenue.

My best guess.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

C5A
    I went to DMV to register my recently purchased camper and since the federal sticker was missing I was referred to the California CHP for verification. When I entered the door to the CHP building I noticed a sign that said "No firearms allowed in State buildings" or the persons would be arrested. I backed out the door and waited for the inspection by my vehicle. When the officer said to come inside to complete the paperwork I told him that I cannot go inside and handed him my CCW permit. He only said "make sure you keep this with you at all times" and did not ask if I was carrying. He then brought my paperwork outside and I was on my way. He was very low key and professional.
    NRA
    Glock 22
    Colt Cobra 38 Spl

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tangoseal View Post
    So today I did a no no. I was going about 6 mph over speed limit on the last 2 days of the month sigh.....
    I tell ya. Friday, being the last Friday of the month, was a cash cow around here for the local PDs.

In my last hour of work, I saw no fewer than three people get pulled over on my block alone...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links