Looking for a little Advice for Gun for everyday carry

This is a discussion on Looking for a little Advice for Gun for everyday carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm torn between a Glock 23 and a S&W M&P 40c for an everyday carry gun...I've shot both and own a Glock 22 but it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a little Advice for Gun for everyday carry

Looking for a little Advice for Gun for everyday carry

I'm torn between a Glock 23 and a S&W M&P 40c for an everyday carry gun...I've shot both and own a Glock 22 but it seems a little big to carry...I was wondering if anyone knew which one would be a better purchase...any help would be appreciated

2. Remove Ads

I like them both, I like the Glock More. I EDC a G-22 with no issue at all, good belt + good holster + Golck 22= the gun I would choose to fight with if I had too....

VIP Member
    Since you have the G22, you have mags that can hold more rounds than the G23 mags. They are useable in the G23 if you wanted to carry one as a spare in a belt pouch. You don't get this benefit with ths Smith. Other than that, it seems like a wash to me.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    Have you considered the G27? A little smaller than the 23, more concealable, lighter and will use the 22 magazines.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

I did look at the 27 and it was just a little too small, I feel like the 23 is a right in the middle type of gun thats easy to conceal and carry

Love my G23. I've been carrying it since 1997. I did trade up from a Gen 2 to a Gen 3 this past year. The right holster & belt make ALL the difference. I finally went with a IWB Comp-Tac Spartan. It almost makes the pistol disappear. Crossbread has a strong fan base also.

http://www.comp-tac.com/catalog.php?...hlrgqlmmjffsp4
    http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/

Crossbread has a great video on their home page showing how this style of holster works so well. (You'll want to see the vid with the young lady demoing the holster. If you see the one with the guy, just refresh your page & the other video will come up.)

My vote for you would be the Glock 23. Same platform and being able to sway magazines.

ive shot the m&p40c and i own a g23 that i carry in a crossbreed quikclip most all the time (college) and i really enjoy mine

why change something that works for you as well as having already done training with the platform?

plus it goes bang EVERY time

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    While I find the M&P points a bit more naturally than my Glock 30, it apparently doesn't cause any accuracy issues (for me). If you shoot the G22 well, then the G23 would seem to be a natural step down in size, retaining the use of the higher-capacity 22 mags if needed.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

The G23 is compatable with the 22's mags, your already familiar with the Glock platform.......I'd say go with the G23.

That's just me.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Distinguished Member
    Glock. And I only say that because you already have the one. The longer I am involved with EDC and defensive shooting the more I see the sense in staying in the same platform/family/type, whatever you call that.

But then again variety is the spice of life, maybe you would fall in love with the M&P, then ultimately go that route.

You say that you shot both. Which one did you like the feel of? I personally would go with the M&P with those two choices, but that is me. Both are fine weapons and ultimately you need to purchase what felt the best for you.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I carry a G23 every day and am super happy with it. The great thing about Glock types is the selection of holsters. Also, I carry a G22 mag as my second mag. My step pa has an M&P9c. It is also a great gun, but the holster selection is hardly as good as that of a Glock.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Marc1103 View Post
    I'm torn between a Glock 23 and a S&W M&P 40c for an everyday carry gun...I've shot both and own a Glock 22 but it seems a little big to carry...I was wondering if anyone knew which one would be a better purchase...any help would be appreciated
    I used to carry a S&W M&P 9c, crossbreed super tuck and a desantis OWB (with a quality gun belt)... To heavy, switched to a Kahr PM 9

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    I prefer the 22 as a "battle pistol." But for everyday CCW the 23 is just very hard to beat.

The 27 is very nice for the heart of summer. Especially when you simply cannot afford being made.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links