new to the forum

This is a discussion on new to the forum within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; new to the forum. and wanted to ask the mebership a quick Q. i used to carry a S&W 7 shot .357 mag. i worked ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new to the forum

new to the forum

new to the forum. and wanted to ask the mebership a quick Q. i used to carry a S&W 7 shot .357 mag. i worked for a armoured car company. and it has gotten me used to wheelguns. and i wanted to know.could someone suggest a good CCW? i am wanted a wheelgun. thats the only downfall. i was looking at the Judge. and was goingto use .45LC in it.. i found one for under $500.00 brand new. not sure if its need or not ,but i'm 6'5" and 350.

2. Remove Ads

Welcome from Southwestern Virginia.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member Array pinklady's Avatar
    Welcome from Virginia.

Welcome, from Kentucky. Take a look at the Ruger SP101. I carry the 357 daily during the winter months.

If you were comfortable carrying a 7 shot .357, why not carry what you're use to.

At 6'5 and 350 lbs you should have no problem carrying a full size revolver. Maybe a Ruger or a S&W.

Welcome to DC.com
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Welcome to the DC Forum! Ruger SP101.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Administrator
    Welcome to the forum.

Vintage S&W Model 24-3 & carry .44 SPECIAL rather than the .45 Long Colt. That's something to think about.
    You should be able to pick one of these up for around $600.00

Or..........S&W 629-6 .44 Mag. & carry .44 SPECIAL in it.

VIP Member
    I think any of the small or even medium frame revolvers would work for you. It's my personal opinion that the Judge revolver is more of a gimmick than a CCW weapon. It's cool for hiking in the woods but it's bigger and longer than most other revolvers. Also the .410 hasn't proven to be very effective in tests. The .357 on the other hand is known as the "king of the street" and has been proven effective in the real world for the past fifty years. The .357 mag is the gold standard for defensive rounds.

If I were in the market for a new revolver I'd look at an all steel (not a super lightweight) J frame or a Ruger SP 101 chambered in .357 mag.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=214413146

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=213779892

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=214384951
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Welcome to DC, I myself would stay with what i'm use to. JMO ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Welcome from Aiken, SC.
    SC-CWP
    AZ-CWP
    I rather be safe then sorry.
    It's better to have it when you need it then need it and dont have it.

Welcome Aboard from down costal Georgia way!

I'd consider looking at what your used to as well.....although there's a BUNCH of options out there as well. I wouldn't give the Judge all that serious a consideration though. It has it's place, but I question it as an every-day-carry platform. The SP101 is a good option to consider.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Welcome. I think the Judge's size would be prohibitive for most CCW use. Much better choices are out there for the same price range.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I would stay with the 357 round. 45 LC is hard to find and expensive. The Judge is probably a fine weapon for what it is made for but is is not a CCW weapon. I have an S&W 649 that I really like. I also like the looks of the Ruger LCR in 357. In any event you will give up 2 rounds from what you are used to. 44 mag would also be an option but for defensive use it is a hot round. You have to worry more about over penetration and possibly hitting an innocent. But hey, it worked for Dirty Harry!!!

Welcome, as others have said, I think I would pass on the judge. Last time I was on leave in Cincinnati (December timeframe), I tried to find some .45LC loads to shoot out of a SAA clone I have, and it seemed like no one in the city had any.

Something along the lines of a K-frame smith with a 3-4 inch barrel in .357 would probably work pretty well for you.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Welcome from central Virginia. You asked about a concealed carry weapon, well there are many good ones out there. Since you are used to the 357 I would say try to find a nice used medium frame S&W with a 2 - 3 inch barrel. You could also check out the S&W L and N frames. Also the Rugers in the same size are good. If you are looking for a 44-45 caliber handgun there are some good examples as well. You could go for a S&W N-frame. These would be the S&W 24 (44 Special), 25 (45 ACP or 45 Colt), or the 29 (44 Magnum/44 Special). With the N-frames I would choose a 4 inch barrel or less.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links