No carry signage

This is a discussion on No carry signage within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I keep hearing about these signs you all claim of, but I've never noticed one. Where are they typically posted? Anyone got a pic? I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No carry signage

No carry signage

I keep hearing about these signs you all claim of, but I've never noticed one. Where are they typically posted? Anyone got a pic? I didn't notice them before I had my permit, now that I do and am actively looking for them i still don't notice them.

Anyone from the Buffalo / Western NY area with an example of an establishment that has it posted?

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by tommyp View Post
    I keep hearing about these signs you all claim of, but I've never noticed one. Where are they typically posted? Anyone got a pic? I didn't notice them before I had my permit, now that I do and am actively looking for them i still don't notice them.

Anyone from the Buffalo / Western NY area with an example of an establishment that has it posted?
    I have only ever seen them 2 places other then federal building. Both of the movie theaters in town have one up and the mall.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

See them all over in MO. Some legal (according to RSMO571) some not, but in the end, in MO, they mean nothing. Worse that can happen is IF your are asked to leave by management and refuse, you can be issued a ticket, $100. If you leave when asked, no problems.

Not so much in West Virginia. In fact, in the seven years I've lived here I don't think I've ever seen a "no gun" sign. I know there are some around (other than State and Federal Bldgs) but I guess I've just managed to keep away from establishments that have them.
    Vietnam Veterans of America - Life Member
    NRA - Life Member / GOA - Life Member
    SAF - Life Member / AzCDL - Life Member
    Avid motorcyclist for over 50 years.

A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent upon arriving - Lao Tzu

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    In Kentucky - a lot of hospitals, banks and resturants. I generally ignore them. The worst they can do (here) is ask me to leave. State and federal buildings is another issue all togather.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

I noticed them in my hometown in KY at a hospital. So the signs have no weight of law in KY? They quoted a Kentucky revised statue. BTW Hometown is Ashland, KY.

Quote Originally Posted by jbphoto357 View Post
    Not so much in West Virginia. In fact, in the seven years I've lived here I don't think I've ever seen a "no gun" sign. I know there are some around (other than State and Federal Bldgs) but I guess I've just managed to keep away from establishments that have them.
    The mall near Huntington, WV has a rule that all weapons are prohibited. I ignored it because it was in a rule posted in fine print.

Quote Originally Posted by tommyp View Post
    You see the signs more often in states where a lot more folks carry guns, even more so in states where open carry is both legal and common. I carried for 20+ years in CT but never saw a 'posted' sign until I moved to AZ.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    At several banks in Virginia I have seen them manifested as a handgun inside a red circle with the red line drawn diagonally through the circle. The universal prohibited sign you see for smoking, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by rljohns View Post
    The mall near Huntington, WV has a rule that all weapons are prohibited. I ignored it because it was in a rule posted in fine print.
    I have not seen any signs at the Mall. I do know that the Federal Express company near Huntington Tri-State Airport has a sign in the lobby that reads "No concealed handguns allowed on this property, you will be searched"
    The building that houses the WV Dept. of Motor Vehicles and Dept. of Highways near where I live has a "gun buster sign" on each entrance to the building.

However, none of the local banks have signs or prohibit concealed carry for customers as far as I know. Apparently the bad guys know this too because we've had a rash of robberies lately.

You know, if they only post a gun buster sign.........
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

I also live in New York. Not to many people have carry permits in NY, so it is not even considered an issue in NY. "YET". Those with a NYS Carry Permit can enjoy more rights than most states for this reason. Most states will not let you carry wherever they charge admission ex. Movie Theraters, Bars, ect. A NYS Carry Permit is very hard to get, but is well worth it. Enjoy.

That was a few yrs ago... They have since changed that fine print to allow weapons if state law allows them... basically, that if you have a permit, it is ok.

The Charter Communications office here has a sign that says "No Weapons Allowed".
    Good thing my handgun is a defensive tool.
    That is the only sign I have ever noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by Axeanda45 View Post
    That was a few yrs ago... They have since changed that fine print to allow weapons if state law allows them... basically, that if you have a permit, it is ok.
    That's good to hear. Do signs in WV carry the weight of law? What's up with that strange law in Dunbar about some park or something?

Here in CO they do not. The most a property can don is ask you to leave. Some places will post all kinds of references to C.R.S. laws that are irelevant. It's usually a trespass law, but if they haven't ask you to leave, you are not trespassing.

That's good to hear. Do signs in WV carry the weight of law? What's up with that strange law in Dunbar about some park or something?

Here in CO they do not. The most a property can don is ask you to leave. Some places will post all kinds of references to C.R.S. laws that are irelevant. It's usually a trespass law, but if they haven't ask you to leave, you are not trespassing.
    Check out http://www.handgunlaw.us

It is a site made by Gary Slider, a West Virginia resident. He has some updates for the WV laws regarding places that prohibit concealed carry. It would appear that some prohibition laws have been "grandfathered" in after WV approved concealed carry permits.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links