Known NC businesses that prohibit carry?

This is a discussion on Known NC businesses that prohibit carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Since NC businesses can prohibit firearms with a posted sign, I'm wondering what businesses y'all know of that have such signs. Harris teeter grocery stores ...

Thread: Known NC businesses that prohibit carry?

Since NC businesses can prohibit firearms with a posted sign, I'm wondering what businesses y'all know of that have such signs. Harris teeter grocery stores used to have signs posted but I've noticed they have been removed recently. What places should I be avoiding?

In the year that I've been carrying I haven't seen ANY signs. Maybe I just don't get out enough.

Just look for the signs. A list would be nearly useless since they change continuously and even two stores in the same chain in the same town will differ on postings.

VIP Member
    Some of the signs are deliberately difficult to even find, as an example at Triangle Town Center in Raleigh the no guns is posted on a two inch by three inch sticker labeled “Rules of Conduct” on each door.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I've seen very few on random businesses. Maybe 2-3. Harris Teeter got called on the carpet for that and backed down. Most of the signs I know of are corporate level decisions, Toys R us and Babies R us come to mind. It seems pretty good around Hickory and west. The central and eastern parts seem to see more signs crop up.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

This forum keeps a running list of businesses that post.

www.carolinashootersforum.com

You might have to join to see the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Some of the signs are deliberately difficult to even find, as an example at Triangle Town Center in Raleigh the no guns is posted on a two inch by three inch sticker labeled “Rules of Conduct” on each door.
    If they are "deliberately" hidden then they are not legal per NC statute that states the sign must be conspicuous.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    I've seen very few on random businesses. Maybe 2-3. Harris Teeter got called on the carpet for that and backed down. Most of the signs I know of are corporate level decisions, Toys R us and Babies R us come to mind. It seems pretty good around Hickory and west. The central and eastern parts seem to see more signs crop up.
    Absolutely right, I'm in the Raleigh area and I see them often enough that I have to keep an eye out every time I go out to run errands. While we're on the subject of NC....any gun stores you guys recommend in the Raleigh area? I've been pretty unimpressed with the selection in the few I've been in (Davis, Patriot Shooting Sports in Youngsville, and Personal Defense and Handgun Safety Center).

Quote Originally Posted by GunKeen View Post
    Absolutely right, I'm in the Raleigh area and I see them often enough that I have to keep an eye out every time I go out to run errands. While we're on the subject of NC....any gun stores you guys recommend in the Raleigh area? I've been pretty unimpressed with the selection in the few I've been in (Davis, Patriot Shooting Sports in Youngsville, and Personal Defense and Handgun Safety Center).
    Selection in the Raleigh area isn't good. That being said, there are lots of choices in firearms, and it doesn't pay them to have a deep inventory of on-premises guns. They can get stolen, manhandled too much, etc. The guys at PDHSC have been great about snagging me guns I want, and giving me a decent price. I can ask them for what I want, and they'll normally have it within the week.

If you're looking for a wide slection to ogle and fondle, you'll have to wait for the gun shows.

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Let me begin by saying I am not a lawyer, and this is only "internet advice" - take it for what it's worth. I asked my cc instructor about this issue. He was a LEO and firearms expert working for the state. He said the main doors are technically posted, but many of the anchor store entrances are not. He claimed he had been the one to give the NC cc course to the VP for Belk's who said he would never post his stores. In other words, you could walk in through a Belk's and there would be no sign, then wander back into the mall through the Belk's mall entrance. Basically, the mall signs are likely unenforceable as there are many mall entrances and many are not posted. if I need to go in, I go in through a Belk's or other unposted door. Now I'm legal.

Don't rely on my experiences. I am not advocating breaking the law. Do your own research.

Quote Originally Posted by GunKeen View Post
    While we're on the subject of NC....any gun stores you guys recommend in the Raleigh area? I've been pretty unimpressed with the selection in the few I've been in (Davis, Patriot Shooting Sports in Youngsville, and Personal Defense and Handgun Safety Center).
    I've had good luck with Fuquay Gun and Gold http://www.fuquaygun.com/

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    If you're looking for a wide slection to ogle and fondle, you'll have to wait for the gun shows.
    True. Guess I'll wait to head down to the gun show at the end of the month!

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    The Cross Creek Mall in Fayetteville right outside Fort Bragg has a 4 inch sticker on the doors. Being stationed there it upsets me greatly since people are getting beat up, jacked, knifed, and shot at there all the time. Since why we call it FayetteNAM. What really has my panties in a bunch if the law about not being able to carry any place that serves alcohol regardless if your drinking or not.

As far as businesses that post.....The Crabtree mall in Raleigh has signs on some doors but not all.

JR in Selma has the strangest one. They have (if memory serves) two entrances, neither are posted. Yet I did notice that that there is a sign on the exterior of the EXIT that says no weapons. Now the reason that it is strange is that they have ONE dedicated exit and that is the only place that is posted. I would have never noticed it had I not stepped out for a smoke while waiting for my wife to check out. Nothing on the way in but on the way out on the OUTSIDE of the building....silly.

As far as gun stores, I can recommend two WT Guns in Goldsboro. http://www.wtsguns.com/
    They have a great selection a well lit range and very nice and knowledgeable staff.

The other is Eds gun shop down near Southern Pines. http://www.edsgunshop.com/
    Check out the forums. He lists pics of items he gets in the store everyday.
    Has a ton of guns at good prices.

Links