Informing LEO

This is a discussion on Informing LEO within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just out of curiosity I'm wondering how people perceive their encounter with LEO to be affected after informing. I know a lot of people post ...

View Poll Results: How did LEO officer respond?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • No change

34 65.38%
  • More friendly than usual

7 13.46%
  • More friendly than usual and reduced fine

9 17.31%
  • Less friendly than usual

3 5.77%
  • Less friendly than usual and increased fine

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Informing LEO

Informing LEO

Just out of curiosity I'm wondering how people perceive their encounter with LEO to be affected after informing. I know a lot of people post individual stories but I wanted to see it in poll form.
    "In a world of compromise, some don't." -HK

2. Remove Ads

I have not been stopped by a LEO since the early 90's, my encounters have been after some idiot has either stolen something or wrecked into me after not paying attention to what they were doing. So none of the encounters were when the LEO was "looking" for something on me.

When asked for ID, I simply hand over my DL and CHL and say nothing about the gun. The officer usually looks at both and says thanks for letting them know. Personally I have never had a "bad" stop by a LEO, even when I was young and very dumb and said some things that I shouldn't have, I was polite when I said them and the office took it in stride.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I voted no change; to clear up what I mean; is the few LEO encounters I have had in Norfolk and Va Beach have always been with a very profesional and respectful officer; and I always act the same way. I have family and close friends who are local LEO, but I do not think it sways my judgement, they are really very profesional here.....

I Have only been stopped once in recent times and the following quote from Farronwolf is exactly what I did and exactly how the cop who stopped me responded.
    When asked for ID, I simply hand over my DL and CHL and say nothing about the gun. The officer usually looks at both and says thanks for letting them know. Personally I have never had a "bad" stop by a LEO
    I've had a few tickets in earlier days but have never been treated poorly by a police officer.

Florida is not a must inform state. That said I always appreciate when someone informs me they are carrying and I tell them so. I try hard to be respectful and professional at all times when dealing with the public and this does not change.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    I don't like the poll choices. How do I how what the officer normally does compared to what he did with me.

I got pulled over while carrying back in July. The officer was AWESOME!

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...009&highlight=

Only police contacts I've had were when I got rear ended at a stop light, or pulled over in a roadside check. Mostly they just say Hi Davey, we talk for a few minutes and I go on my way!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    When asked for ID, I simply hand over my DL and CHL and say nothing about the gun. The officer usually looks at both and says thanks for letting them know.
    Same.

But I've only been pulled over once, so I have no baseline to compare against, but the trooper was courteous, informed me why he stopped me (apparently license plate covers are not legal for street use), and let me go on my merry way...

JD
    Administrator
    8 posts have been removed, keep it on topic and keep it civil....

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I didn't vote because I Have only had my CWFL since 2009, haven't been stopped since 2001 (speeding like a dummy), keep my registration and tags up to date, check my lights frequently, am one of the few here in FL that actually use turn signals properly, and keep my highway speed under the "Over nine and you're mine!" unofficial limit.

Required or not, I believe I would notify if pulled over. I'd rather not have any more surprises or delays than the blue lights already flashing behind me. The rest is up to the LEO.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Xader View Post
    Same.

But I've only been pulled over once, so I have no baseline to compare against, but the trooper was courteous, informed me why he stopped me (apparently license plate covers are not legal for street use), and let me go on my merry way...
    Covers aren't legal in many states, but most LEOs don't bother to stop you unless looking for a reason to stop or needing an "add-on." It's considered altering or concealing. Why bother covering; you'll get a new one every few years anyhow.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I was stopped for speeding last week, I voluntarily informed the officer and judging by his reaction (very thankful, etc). I am convinced I got off with a warning where I would have otherwise received a ticket.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

The only time I had a traffic violation since I started carrying, the officer seemed very polite like he appreciated the heads up. He even called my parents (I was 21 at the time), and told them what a polite young man they had raised.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Covers aren't legal in many states, but most LEOs don't bother to stop you unless looking for a reason to stop or needing an "add-on." It's considered altering or concealing. Why bother covering; you'll get a new one every few years anyhow.
    I'd imagine it was the "looking for a reason to stop". No mention of anything else. I certainly don't drive in a manner that arouses suspicion. A black civic driven by a 20-something male tends to get profiled, even a bone-stock one. A former co-worker has one that has corroded to the point of being completely opaque, but has never gotten pulled over for it. Then again, he's a 60-year-old, driving a little pickup, wearing a tie (though had it been a work-day, I'd have been wearing one).

As for "why"; it protects the plate itself from a lot of damage, especially from flying gravel during the winter. And replacing a cover is cheaper than replacing a plate, and less hassle, too.

I have been carrying since 1970 in two states. Never been stopped while carrying.
    Actually, haven't been stoppede at all in 25 years.
    I had a guy rear end me last year, and called for a sheriff to write up a report. Was on a low traffic county highway at 6:30 AM. I thought it may have been a bump and rob. When I saw the other guy with noithing in his hand, it went into a hidingplace near me. My 9 was locked in the safe when he arrived, and felt no need to inform. However, it was out and in my hand until the situation stabilized.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links