News interview of Denver DA RE: Home defense shooting

This is a discussion on News interview of Denver DA RE: Home defense shooting within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I apologize since I posted this story in the "Good, Band and Ugly" section yesterday. The website has since been updated and now has the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: News interview of Denver DA RE: Home defense shooting

Thumbs up News interview of Denver DA RE: Home defense shooting

I apologize since I posted this story in the "Good, Band and Ugly" section yesterday. The website has since been updated and now has the interview with the DA that handled the case.

The video is about 2/3 down the news report (second video) and is a must watch as he makes several key points about the situation, what the homeowner went through, and the weapon used (Taurus Judge, loaded with .410 shells).

The DA comments that the initial reports were that the subject was shot twice, when in fact he was only shot once, he just got hit by 2 out of 3 pellets from the shot shell rather than the typical single projectile from a standard handgun.

A sobering reminder about the realities of what people go through.

Staggering to watch a news report that does not paint an "Anti Gun" flavor on the incident.

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2011/02/0...y-day-shooter/
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

2. Remove Ads

The news station went into 'detail' with this report. Obviously it had the attention of the local population.

It was a good shoot. Armed intruders (home invaders) busting through the front door.....what'd they 'expect' to find? Money, drugs, a sleeping family???
    A very harsh lesson learned too late.

A warning shot......shoot him in the leg....?!? Momma's little chior-boy died doing exactly what NOBODY should've been doing. Did SHE know where her lil' Baby was that night?

At 17, I KNEW where and who my son was with, and now, my 17 YO daughter gives the same information to SHMBO'd and myself. AND she has to have a back-up plan if something goes wrong, friends leave, or whatever.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Even the comment section (as of this date and time) only has 1 out of 100 comments that are against the homeowner. Denver is a Lib state, so that in itself is surprising. We may be seeing a change around here...finally.

I'm glad that after 8 months Mr Kutchin was able to do an interview and tell his side of the story to the public, and demonstrate what he went through. Even to have a DA comment on the case in the manner that he did.

I would sure like to see some changes in the legislation come from this.

If anything it may have awaken some fence sitters on the matter of either call 911 and hope, or call 911 and be adequately prepared to defend your life until the police arrive in the next 5 to 15 minuets.
    Sticks

A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    I have to disagree about any "positive effects" from this news story.

IMHO If you have to use lethal force to defend yourself you need to keep quiet EVEN AFTER the legal aspects are over.

There is no statute of limitations on Civil Lawsuits.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Right....................what's done is done.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Some states offer immunity from civil suits in cases of justified SD. Criminals should never have grounds for a suit because the "victims" defended themselves.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Comments?
    1. Homeowner was not smart talking to the press--very wrong thing to do. In this case at least their story was "his side" and not a politically correct pile of garbabe
    2. The newspaper calls the "Judge" the firearm all judges carry. Height of newspaper stupidity and ignorance
    3. Duran's mother says the same thing all these out of touch parents have to say about their felon offspring---"he was a good boy" or "I did not know he was doing such things" etc etc--Tired of listening to these type of stupid comments from baby farmers.

Quote Originally Posted by AKsrule View Post
    Depends on the state. In Texas & a few others, a cleared justified shooter is immune from civil law suit by the surviving family members. In addition, Texas law would have the other 2 teens up on murder charges for participating in a crime that results in a death, anyone's death, even if your only involvement was driving the getaway car. God Bless Texas!
    Asked by a CNN reporter "What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist"?, the Marine sniper simply shrugged & replied "recoil".

Now more than ever, we are at war on our home soil ... WAKE UP & arm our troops when they are on home soil!

Protected in Kansas. I thought Colorado had civil protections as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ks kid View Post
    Protected in Kansas. I thought Colorado had civil protections as well.
    We have similar protections in Michigan.

Protected in TN
    PT145, CZ52, PM for carry. Lots of others to look at

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Some states offer immunity from civil suits in cases of justified SD. Criminals should never have grounds for a suit because the "victims" defended themselves.
    Colorado has that written into the Castle Doctrine.
    Sticks

See also Sheep

I have to disagree about any "positive effects" from this news story.

IMHO If you have to use lethal force to defend yourself you need to keep quiet EVEN AFTER the legal aspects are over.

Well, I'd rather read and see this on the news than
    "Homeowner guns down teen, victim's family holding vigil...Homeowner lives at 1234 State Street, owns several guns....Teen was trying turn turn life around/wanted to get out of the crowd he ran with..."
    You know, the usual stories we read when a homeowner defends him/herself against an armed home invasion and ends up being portrayed as the bad guy, and the teen who did the home invasion was some innocent little child who never did anything wrong in his life.

Yeah, unfortunate that the homeowner had to shoot some 17 year old, and in doing so, the 17 year old died.

This news story however does point out to those who are un-aware (and thanks to the DA) that you are allowed by law to not be a victim, and are allowed to protect yourself with lethal force.

Given the increase in armed home invasions of late, I'd say this is a good thing to tell the public.

The homeowner was not grandstanding or proud of what he did. He merely did what he had to do.

Edited to add... Here is the original new story that aired in May 2010.
    http://www.kdvr.com/news/kdvr-homeow...,2605645.story

Watch the video, that one makes the homeowner look more like the bad guy, and did call the 17y/o the "Victim" in the incident.
    Last edited by Sticks; February 5th, 2011 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Found original news story
    Sticks

See also Sheep

That homeowner did what he was suppose to do, defend himself. That boy BROKE into his home and was armed, you better believe I would have shot. The mother said why didnt he shoot a warning shot, A WARNING SHOT? LADY ARE YOU SERIOUS????? My question to her is, what if someone broke into her house, what would she have done? She needs to sit back and think about that one. I dont believe in taking a life for no reason but that boy brought that uppon himself.

AzB
    Georgia also has the stand your ground law, which incorporates immunity from civil suits in a justified shooting. It also protects you while you're out and about as well, not just in your home.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links